Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emailed Sue. Like I said she lives in Regina and we used to know one another years ago.

Anyway, I told her about Cooper and being excitably and what did she think of a prong collar. Here is her reply:

"Liz, I don't like the prong collar because the reason for the prongs is to hurt the dog. Yes, sometimes you get better control by threatening to hurt the dog, but often you get unwanted related problems, such as pain aggression, or the dog using the pain to ramp up the adrenalin while he gets more and more excited.

I much prefer the Easy Walk or similar harness, which has the leash-attachment ring on the front. The harder the dog pulls, the more the harness turns him around to face the person holding the leash. As you say, this is not a training method, but a management method while the dog is being trained."

So, I am going to give that a try. No point in asking her if I am not at least going to give her advice a try.

I thought I would share this with you. I am not totally against the prong. I would just like to try her idea first.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm a big fan of hers. She is on a service dog training list I'm on and really helped me when Dixie was working.
I don't hate prongs I just think they are greatly overused these days. And people are using them in place of training rather than as a temporary training aid (not you, just many people I've talked to). Edit: The same can be said about any of these devices but the prong is the one I hear most.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts