Poodle Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
There is a relatively inexpensive DNA test you can do with a simple cheek swab for DM (degenerative myelopathy) . I am not 100% sure of the symptoms, but every time I read these threads, I think that if this were my dog, I would want to rule it out. It can be ordered at OFFA.org. you can read up about it there too to see if any other symptoms might be the same.
I had a GSD with DM. Those symptoms do not resemble that to me. He started getting a little weak and wobbly in his back legs and when he walked, the tops of his back feet would go on the ground first, (a classic sign) then they'd straighten out. It is a thing where the myelin covering, an insulation of sorts along the nerve pathways gets a tear in it or hole and the electrochemical impulse sort of leaps out and the message isn't continuing along the nerve cells, sort of like the covering over electrical wires tearing and you get a short. The message is more of a spinal thing, not a brain originated thing. Anyhow, he gradually lost more and more control of his muscle movements in the back and back legs mostly. It is not painful but the poor dog got so frustrated because he felt fine otherwise, energetic, wanted to play with the kids but got so it was too much trouble for him. Over the course of about a year, he lost bowel control too and couldn't go up the stairs. There was no sickness otherwise, no throwing up or anything. He was alert, normal in every other way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I read this whole thread because I was researching Mega-Esophagus. I just wanted to tell you how relieved I am that Jasper is ok and that you didn't give up. My heart went out to you as I read the post where you described the relationship you have with your Jasper. Unless you have had that kind of relationship with an animal, it's hard to understand. I have and my life will never be the same because of it. I'm so glad that you had a happy ending!!
Sunbeam, thanks for your post. He is a special animal. He's the most gentle and sensitive animal I've ever known. He's plugging along and getting more interested in things again. I think that he is really enjoying feeling better and enjoying life again! I forgot how smart he is. When he was sick, he was listless. Now, he's checking everything out. I have to watch him closely, so he doesn't wander off chasing a smell, etc..

I've only had this kind of relationship with one other dog. He almost lasted 19 years. He went everywhere with me. Always sitting next to me in the truck. When we lost him, I was lost for along time. I still miss him! Jasper and him were great friends! They did everything together. Jasper was lost without him for quite awhile.

I'm just really thankful that Jasper is getting better and I get to enjoy life with him again and with Clyde and Charlie!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi. I know this post was 7 years ago but I am currently in an ER parking lot with my little 6mo mini poodle who has had 3 episodes of exactly what you’re describing. I was wondering if you ever found out the cause of what was going on with Jasper.
I am so sorry you went thru this, I feel like we’re on an episode of mystery diagnosis...

the last 2 collapses were caught very late he was rushed back. This time we caught it a little early. Notice him panting & pacing back and forth to the front door (as if he’s telling me something isn’t right) then I noticed his hind life’s looking funny as he walked and eventually he would just collapse, tongue out, disorientation, shallow breathing, drooling,lethargic.. each time the hospital says it seems like some for of anaphylactic shock... were just trying to make sense of it all any sometime forums are the best place to find answers as we’re relying on the experts who aren’t giving us any answers.

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
Hi. I know this post was 7 years ago but I am currently in an ER parking lot with my little 6mo mini poodle who has had 3 episodes of exactly what you’re describing. I was wondering if you ever found out the cause of what was going on with Jasper.
I am so sorry you went thru this, I feel like we’re on an episode of mystery diagnosis...

the last 2 collapses were caught very late he was rushed back. This time we caught it a little early. Notice him panting & pacing back and forth to the front door (as if he’s telling me something isn’t right) then I noticed his hind life’s looking funny as he walked and eventually he would just collapse, tongue out, disorientation, shallow breathing, drooling,lethargic.. each time the hospital says it seems like some for of anaphylactic shock... were just trying to make sense of it all any sometime forums are the best place to find answers as we’re relying on the experts who aren’t giving us any answers.
I'm so sorry you and your pup are going through this. Did you read through the whole thread? I skimmed it quickly, and this 2014 update seems to contain the diagnosis, but when you can, give it a thorough read in case I overlooked something else that may be helpful to you:

Good News

Time for an update. It has been a long, long struggle. We want to thank everyone for their ideas, suggestions and comments. I want to post this information as it may help someone else with their dog with similar symptoms. We took Chagall's advice and contacted Dr. Barbara Licht at FSU and she was extremely helpful and absolutely wonderful to work with! Jasper ended up with a severe e. coli infection. In fact, it almost killed him!

To recap, this has been going on since May of 2013. We've run just about every canine test known to man and all tests came back negative. Jasper just kept getting worse. We finally tried seizure meds which made him even worse. It got really bad! He was throwing up a couple of times a day and could barely stand. Wouldn't eat. We thought it was over. So, we took him in for a last vet visit to see if there was anything else we could do. We did bloodwork and urine and it showed he had severe renal failure, creatinine level of 2.7. We couldn't figure out how this happened out of the blue. In discussions with our vet, we decided to run a urine culture. It came back positive for e. coli. Somehow, with all the tests that we ran, this got missed. We immediately started him on antibiotics and within two days he started to improve. He did six weeks of antibiotics and now he's been two weeks off. "Knock on wood", he's approximately 70% of what he once was (instead of 20%) and creatinine levels have been falling, three weeks ago at 1.3. Last urine culture shows e. coli is gone. Hopefully, he keeps getting better and his kidneys continue to heal. This episode really took a lot out of him. We hope this information helps someone else. Ted
We appreciate your comments. This was a really scary situation. Had we not kept pushing, he would be gone now! He didn't quit, so neither did we! This was really hard because he kept coming to us for help, getting sicker and sicker and we didn't know what to do. He's a wonderful friend!

What the medical community did to this dog was just wrong, just keep throwing money at it and maybe something will show up. There is so much that should be changed with medical procedures! We're begging to move up appointments and exams because he is so sick. Even with the last set of tests, nobody would believe that it was e. coli. The thought was that we didn't get a clean sample. I stayed up the entire night before the test (couldn't sleep) trying to come up with a method to get a clean sample.

You can feel our frustration. We don't care what we went thru, it was what he went thru. He was really sick after the MRI and spinal tap. On the positive, he's getting better and that's all that really counts!

The bottom line, we hope that someone reads this thread and it helps their dog before it is too late!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes it’s very scary and unfortunate thing to go thru, I wouldn’t wish this on anyone. These poor pups are so innocent and don’t deserve this. But thank you!
I did skim thru it looking for anything that stood out (EPI, EIC, among a few others) but I was also in a very emotional state and clearly looked over this ‘14 update. I will look further into this and I REALLY APPRECIATE you for replying so quickly. THANK YOU!

I never saw anything about Addison’s disease in the thread tho, we’ve been told by a few to have that test done which he has set up in a few weeks!!
maybe I’ll have to make my own post

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
Yes it’s very scary and unfortunate thing to go thru, I wouldn’t wish this on anyone. These poor pups are so innocent and don’t deserve this. But thank you!
I did skim thru it looking for anything that stood out (EPI, EIC, among a few others) but I was also in a very emotional state and clearly looked over this ‘14 update. I will look further into this and I REALLY APPRECIATE you for replying so quickly. THANK YOU!

I never saw anything about Addison’s disease in the thread tho, we’ve been told by a few to have that test done which he has set up in a few weeks!!
maybe I’ll have to make my own post
Did you request an E. coli test? Let us know how it goes.

Would be amazing if this thread prevented your poodle from enduring all the testing that the original poster's poodle did. Good luck! Will be hoping for good news.

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
I feel like we’re on an episode of mystery diagnosis... the last 2 collapses were caught very late he was rushed back. This time we caught it a little early. Notice him panting & pacing back and forth to the front door (as if he’s telling me something isn’t right) then I noticed his hind life’s looking funny as he walked and eventually he would just collapse, tongue out, disorientation, shallow breathing, drooling,lethargic.. each time the hospital says it seems like some for of anaphylactic shock...
It could be a medical problem, but the first thing that occurred to me was something toxic he might have gotten into (or deliberately given), that is odorless and sweet, like antifreeze or rat poison. See this page at the Pet Poison Hotline, and there is a section for Vets too.

7 Garage and Shed Toxins.

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
There are so many canine hazards lurking out there. And in the average home, too! I've heard terrible things about essential oils, for example. Signs of essential oil poisoning:
  • Difficulty breathing (labored breathing, fast breathing, coughing, wheezing)
  • Drooling and/or vomiting.
  • Tremors.
  • Ataxia (difficulty walking, stumbling, wobbling)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you request an E. coli test? Let us know how it goes.

Would be amazing if this thread prevented your poodle from enduring all the testing that the original poster's poodle did. Good luck! Will be hoping for good news.
Hii!! We have his urine culture test scheduled for the 27th along with his Addisonian, ACT Stem test, thyroid, and a few others! We will definitely update you when we get the results.
Thanks so much for reaching out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
It could be a medical problem, but the first thing that occurred to me was something toxic he might have gotten into (or deliberately given), that is odorless and sweet, like antifreeze or rat poison. See this page at the Pet Poison Hotline, and there is a section for Vets too.

7 Garage and Shed Toxins.
Hi thanks so much for reaching out, we have had a tox screen and drug screen each time he’s gone in all being negative but we have stopped Orkin and any other services that may cause harm, and we’re still seeing episodes. We will have an update after we run some tests on the 27th!

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
Hii!! We have his urine culture test scheduled for the 27th along with his Addisonian, ACT Stem test, thyroid, and a few others! We will definitely update you when we get the results.
Thanks so much for reaching out!
Will be keeping my fingers crossed that you get some answers.

Did you mention the E. coli findings to your vet? Is that one of the tests being run?

81 - 91 of 91 Posts