Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what I'd do without you guys. Gilligan is acting like he's lost his little mind since daddy has been on vacation for a few weeks in preparation for his retirement at the end of the month.

I'll give you the usual scenario pre vacation (he's 21 months)

• Daddy gets up, showers, dresses and leaves for work. Gilligan barely acknowledges him (it's 5:30am)
  • Gilligan gets up with mommy and goes back to sleep for a few hours. Is moderately active during the day, but spends the late afternoon on the back of the couch waiting for daddy to come home.
  • We go to visit grandpa once a week, sometimes Gilligan is left there for a short period of time. He loves grandpa and gets excited as we approach the house.
  • Eating reasonably well, and sometimes twice a day (he's a picky eater)
Now:
  • Daddy gets up later and Gilligan goes downstairs with him in the morning and goes back to sleep - sometimes on his lap and sometimes on his bed
  • I get up and am barely acknowledged (this is normal for him)
  • If I go out, Gilligan sits on the couch waiting for me to come home and doesn't play much
  • Ditto if daddy goes out
  • Gilligan seems to want us both together at all times.
  • Eating at night around the 24 hour mark

Now for the problem:
  • We left Gilligan for about 8 hours with a neighbor in early June. He was OK there, though he did escape and ran home.
  • We left hims with grandpa for 8 hours 2 weeks ago. Dad he would go to the front door and garage door and whine for us. He then would lay down for a bit and get up and whine again.
  • We left him with grandpa 4 days ago for 30 MINUTES and dad said he yelped almost the whole time we were gone. I heard him when we return but assumed it was because he heard the garage door open. I was wrong.
Additional Notes:
Daddy is his playmate. He always played with him when returning from work and now he plays a bit during the day, plus at night. He has always been attached to daddy.

My husband seems to think that by being home so much, the established routine has been upended and he's just reacting to it.

I'm at a total loss. We can't take him everywhere, nor can I leave him with my dad or my neighbor if he's going to yelp the whole time we're gone, though I know he will eventually get tired.

We made arrangements to leave him with our neighbor for 2 nights this weekend and there is no way I can leave him with her if he's going to behave that way. She's got a husband, 3 kids, 2 dogs, and is finishing up breast cancer treatment (she's fine).

We're hoping that he just needs to adjust to the new schedule with daddy around. He did eat a mid day meal on Friday and had his dinner around 8pm.

Right now we're probably going to have to take him with us. The hotel is pet friendly, but is a beach resort, so it's not likely we can take him to the beach, plus it will be too hot for him.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Is he cute trained? I kinda remember something in earlier posts but not sure. All my dogs are crate trained. They all know that when in their crate they are to be quiet and just sleep. I can tell you that my poodle wants to be with me everywhere. If I gate him in a room he will sit on alert not released until I return even if I just go get the mail. However if I put him in his crate is will just lie down and go to sleep for as long as I'm gone, doesn't matter how long either.

·
Registered
12,496 Posts
He does sound like a dog who is completely thrown by big changes in his routine. I would build a new one and try to stick to it, making sure that the key events happen as far as possible at the same time every day. I also think that he is likely to settle with your neighbour after the first day - Poppy is a total misery when I leave her, but relaxes and goes with the flow 12-24 hours into a stay.

Reactions: mary2e

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I am concerned if you bring him with on vacation to a new place he is going to be very, very anxious even with both of you there. This could also lead to him making a lot of noise. Also, he wouldn't be able to be left alone and it wouldn't be much of a trip.

The only solution I can see at this point is to leave him with your neighbor, and if it ends up being too much, you would have to return early. Your neighbor's house is a familiar place, though, and he might be fine after crying a bit.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is he cute trained? I kinda remember something in earlier posts but not sure. All my dogs are crate trained. They all know that when in their crate they are to be quiet and just sleep. I can tell you that my poodle wants to be with me everywhere. If I gate him in a room he will sit on alert not released until I return even if I just go get the mail. However if I put him in his crate is will just lie down and go to sleep for as long as I'm gone, doesn't matter how long either.
No, he's not. We tried and he simply can't be confined no matter what we tried. We were afraid he would hurt himself trying to get out.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He does sound like a dog who is completely thrown by big changes in his routine. I would build a new one and try to stick to it, making sure that the key events happen as far as possible at the same time every day. I also think that he is likely to settle with your neighbour after the first day - Poppy is a total misery when I leave her, but relaxes and goes with the flow 12-24 hours into a stay.
I suspect you may be right. He's very fastidious and doesn't even like things out of place. I'm going to see if my neighbor can take him today for an hour or so to see how he reacts.

His behavior at dad's was a complete shock. It's his second home.

·
Premium Member
23,199 Posts
You need to make clear that there is a new routine by sticking to it rather than floating him off to different places and people with no pattern. As to leaving him during your travel I can say that when I left Javelin at the brand new dog sitters' home he cried all night the first night and then totally settled in when the sun came up in the morning. He is normally with me 24 hours a day since he goes everywhere with me and we do lots of pretty intense activities together, so Gilligan should be able to adjust if you give him a chance.

Reactions: mary2e

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am concerned if you bring him with on vacation to a new place he is going to be very, very anxious even with both of you there. This could also lead to him making a lot of noise. Also, he wouldn't be able to be left alone and it wouldn't be much of a trip.

The only solution I can see at this point is to leave him with your neighbor, and if it ends up being too much, you would have to return early. Your neighbor's house is a familiar place, though, and he might be fine after crying a bit.
We've already had him on vacation with us a few times. He's fine as long as we're there.

My thinking would be to leave him anyway and return if he's too annoying to her. Thankfully we're only going a few hours away.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You need to make clear that there is a new routine by sticking to it rather than floating him off to different places and people with no pattern. As to leaving him during your travel I can say that when I left Javelin at the brand new dog sitters' home he cried all night the first night and then totally settled in when the sun came up in the morning. He is normally with me 24 hours a day since he goes everywhere with me and we do lots of pretty intense activities together, so Gilligan should be able to adjust if you give him a chance.
I think he had started to settle into the new routine - but my husband is going into the office a day here and there to settle things up.

It really seems like he has become even more attached to my husband - probably because now there is no pattern to the coming and going.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Both my dogs have separation anxiety. One will howl when I leave, even if there is someone else in the house. When told to stop, she does.

If I were you I would just do what you planned. He will get used to it. You can’t build your lives around his separation anxiety. Maybe your neighbor is too busy for an anxious dog, find someone else.

His sitters should try and distract him when he whines. Go for a walk, eat something fun. Even if he whines for a while, he won’t let himself starve to death.

My anxious one will not eat for 72 hours (a whole 3 days) sometimes when I go to my mom’s. He’s a toy and he weighs 6 pounds. He’s never been sick from it. It’s not ideal, but I’m not going to barricade myself in the house because he can’t take a change in routine... So he’s been going to my mom with me for 4 years now.

Oh, and ask the vet for some light meds to help calm him down.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The point may be moot, at least for this trip. My neighbor is at the tail end of her breast cancer treatments and hasn't been feeling well since last week. So we may be taking him after all.

We are going to bring him over there today to see if he behaves himself. But I simply cannot leave him with her if he's going to be whiny or yelping for us. She's kind enough to take him, but I don't want to burden her when she doesn't feel well.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you tried rescue remedy? It is used in. animal shelters and seems to works well.
What is it? I generally have Children's Benadryl liquid when we travel to give in the event he's bothered by noises in the hotel hallways. I've only had to use it once. Generally speaking, if we tell him "it's OK" he shuts up :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts