Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

As of this weekend, I began trying to socialize my 3 mo. mini with other dogs..I'm not sure he's doing so well...but I decided to give him a stuffed dog toy that is about his size. He is chewing it and tossing it around, but I don't want him to think that this is okay to do to other dogs. Should I let him have the toy...? I know this sounds like a dumb question, but just need to make sure..:doh:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi Meehkim! My two spoos do this all the time... Smurfy throws everything up in the air and chases it down. L.E. Belle finds the squeekers in every toy within minutes. They both play well with others - I believe it's just the way puppies play:) I'm not sure dogs really understand what the stuffed animal represents (that the stuffed, squeeky thing is a "dog")...although L.E. Belle matches them up - ducks with ducks and bears with bears... very funny!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL your spoos sound so smart :) I'm just worried because my poodle sniffs the toy dog in all the right(or wrong..depending on how you view it) places...and then continues to bite/thrash. hence, my worry about the stuffed animal. lol

·
Registered
151 Posts
It is funny that your puppy checks out the toy in all the right places! I have a friend with Siberian Huskies - they totally mutilate their stuffed toys... can't keep 'em for five minutes. BUT, their dogs are wonderful with other dogs, and they use them for rehabilitating fearful dogs. It's really something to see how gentle they are with other dogs and pups. I'm no expert - my two are my first poodles. I'm sure some of the more experienced members will weigh in:)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The best way to socialize him, would be to get him out there with other dogs, who are nice, and really get a positive association with it, bring lots of food, and toys and stuff and he will be happy. I would also seek some advice from a professional trainer in case things go awry. But, best of luck, and if you have any other questions, no matter how stupid they seem, just ask them and we will be glad to help :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It could be that your little guy is "checking " that it is NOT a dog and not alive as well ; )) ! And as he finds "oh - it is just a toy" he proceeds and plays his heart out. :)

I would not be too worried beforehand at all : ). For socialization you might also try to take him to puppy class : ) - he will be on the "equal ground" age-vise and also learn so much : ) !

I am sure all will sort out great - you are doing all of the right things for him :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts