Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Really struggling last few days. I had some people helping me move some stuff in yesterday and he went crazy. Barking and growling nom stop. . Nothing I did could distract him or calm him down. I tried treats and telling him to sit and having the people sit down so he would get used to them but nothing worked. He just would not stop. It was awful. I ended up going outside with him because it was just too stressful for everyone. He has met other people before but never at my place . Now I am worried he has become possessive of my place. He has also been barking at all noises i nothing works to stop hIm. It is like his barking just takes on a life of its own and there is no distracting him. He has discovered the cat litter and cat food so rearranging my place this weekend with a baby gate to move that stuff where he can’t get it. That is a small issue.

·
Super Moderator
6,429 Posts
I'm sorry you're struggling. Puppies are a full-time job, that's for sure!

If he could reach the cat food or litter, there are likely other things around that he can (and will) get into. I would puppy proof as much as possible, and don't un-puppy proof until he's a year old or more. Peggy's most destructive chewing phase occurred just before her first birthday.

And have you heard of trigger stacking? If Niko hasn't had visitors before and then suddenly had his space "invaded," that's a lot for a puppy. His cortisol levels are likely to be high now for at least the next few days, so go easy on him. Keep things calm and cool, and consider slowing things down a little. If he has a chance to warm up slowly to new sights, sounds, and experiences, it'll be easier for everyone in the long run.

Keep in mind, too, that asking for a sit from a stressed dog is very unnatural. You're better off scattering treats on the floor for him to sniff. Getting him out of there was a good idea, too, especially if you did it in a playful, encouraging way.

·
Registered
404 Posts
How old is your dog? They do go through fear phases as they mature. Raffi started barking at a lot of things around 5 months (it was very embarrassing when he barked like a lunatic at visitors!). He started improving at 10/11 months, and by now at 15 months he seems to have settled down. I mean he is still more vocal than any of previous dogs, but it's not that reactive barking.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Does puppy have a place of his own, a crate perhaps. He might go willingly to his crate and settle down if he associates the crate with good things. I do think all dogs should be crate trained so they have their own space, are easy to take to the vet, especially for an emergency and situations like you describe. Taking him to his crate in another room, if wire crate a blanket to drape over the crate might be enough to cool down the barking and other antics. Hope you can get this resolved quickly. Asta still barks at the door when delivery or friends come by (not too often these days) I call him to me and he settles down. I think because he knows that I will protect him in a scary situation - he just needs reassurance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How old is your dog? They do go through fear phases as they mature. Raffi started barking at a lot of things around 5 months (it was very embarrassing when he barked like a lunatic at visitors!). He started improving at 10/11 months, and by now at 15 months he seems to have settled down. I mean he is still more vocal than any of previous dogs, but it's not that reactive barking.
[/QUOTE
Does puppy have a place of his own, a crate perhaps. He might go willingly to his crate and settle down if he associates the crate with good things. I do think all dogs should be crate trained so they have their own space, are easy to take to the vet, especially for an emergency and situations like you describe. Taking him to his crate in another room, if wire crate a blanket to drape over the crate might be enough to cool down the barking and other antics. Hope you can get this resolved quickly. Asta still barks at the door when delivery or friends come by (not too often these days) I call him to me and he settles down. I think because he knows that I will protect him in a scary situation - he just needs reassurance.
he does have a crate and a playpen. He doesn’t like either. I did put him in his pen but it didn’t calm him down at all he was still barking and growling. He hates the crate and that is also a work in progress.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes that is exactly how it was. A total lunatic. We try growling mixed in. Argh.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sorry you're struggling. Puppies are a full-time job, that's for sure!

If he could reach the cat food or litter, there are likely other things around that he can (and will) get into. I would puppy proof as much as possible, and don't un-puppy proof until he's a year old or more. Peggy's most destructive chewing phase occurred just before her first birthday.

And have you heard of trigger stacking? If Niko hasn't had visitors before and then suddenly had his space "invaded," that's a lot for a puppy. His cortisol levels are likely to be high now for at least the next few days, so go easy on him. Keep things calm and cool, and consider slowing things down a little. If he has a chance to warm up slowly to new sights, sounds, and experiences, it'll be easier for everyone in the long run.

Keep in mind, too, that asking for a sit from a stressed dog is very unnatural. You're better off scattering treats on the floor for him to sniff. Getting him out of there was a good idea, too, especially if you did it in a playful, encouraging way.
Yes I did try the treats as well but he wasn’t at all interested. When normally he is super food motivated.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Check out this thread that focuses on crate training - Crate Training Trouble
You might find some crate tips that will help you out. Above all, don't give up, sometimes it is a longer period to train but well worth it in the end.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That means he was way over-threshold, so it was definitely a good idea to let him get away from the situation for a bit. Are you working with a trainer at all? Or do you have a good training guide?
We were going to puppy classes. But then he got sick and wasn’t allowed around other dogs. I am working with him at home but so far all he has mastered is sit and wait (for his treat). And even those are hit or miss if there is a distraction.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts