Poodle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Big Ben and I welcomed a new Spoo pup named Josephine, “Josie”, on July 2nd. At her first vet visit 4 days later, she was positive for Giardia. She was 9 weeks old at the time. I was unfamiliar with Giardia at the time. My vet did not seem overly concerned, nor did he give me much guidance beyond hand washing and keeping Ben and Josie’s potty areas separate. He prescribed metronidazole for both. When I called Josie’s breeder to inform her, she said it’s very common and that she had treated the litter preventively with 3 days of panacure. She also seemed unconcerned. She said if they’re not sharing a water bowl they should be fine.
Well, after reading a bit about it on doctor google (I know I shouldn’t) I felt like it was the beginning of the COVID pandemic all over again. I did a lot of sanitizing, washing bedding & toys, and have kept Ben and Josie separate. I don’t know if it’s even been worth the trouble, as she now has very loose stools and is a bit gassy. Testing happens a week from today. I’m awaiting a call from my vet for guidance.

I’m just wondering if anyone has advice on getting through all this and keeping them healthy. I’m especially concerned about Josie’s socialization. I haven’t had any kids around to meet her and of course no dogs.

A separate concern is her temperament. I fear she is missing out on the critical time for social development, especially since she is very timid, and a bit fearful. She runs to her crate when Big Ben barks (he’s really loud and it startles me too) She is sweet and cuddly for a short time, but is really a terror with biting, barking and growling. I think maybe it’s because she is limited in where she can play and let off steam, but really she is hard to distract from the biting. I do lots of short training sessions, and she’s great with those. I’m hoping that when she and Big Ben can get together and he can help correct her and show her the ropes it will get better.

I’m sorry this is so long, but I’m struggling and hoping for some guidance on any of the above. Her breeder will take her back at any time, and I’m trying not to think about that. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
10,306 Posts
I’m sorry to hear this. :( You may find this thread helpful: Covid puppy nightmare

And here’s a great resource for socializing within the constraints of quarantine:

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
3,090 Posts
Can't help with giardia, but I love the photos of Big Ben on the boat and sassy little Josie exploring her world.

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Sorry, I can’t help with giardiasis… good thing it was picked up by the vet and being treated.

My puppy is 6.5 months so early puppyhood is a distance memory haha.

I made sure to have plenty of choices for my puppy to chew ... and I mean plenty. Toys and bull sticks everywhere. My puppy easily found things to chew and when he came to me “bitey” I always had something safe to stick in his mouth. He learned to pick up something to bite and ignore my husband and myself.

When he became a wild man, it was time for a nap in his crate which is inside a pen. Mostly he would go to sleep quickly. Sometimes he was too wound up and had a little tantrum like a toddler before sleeping.

I followed followed Dr Dumbar‘s potty schedule.

Reactions: cmac4103

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m sorry to hear this. :( You may find this thread helpful: Covid puppy nightmare

And here’s a great resource for socializing within the constraints of quarantine:

Thank you very much for the info Peggy 😊

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I can’t help with giardiasis… good thing it was picked up by the vet and being treated.

My puppy is 6.5 months so early puppyhood is a distance memory haha.

I made sure to have plenty of choices for my puppy to chew ... and I mean plenty. Toys and bull sticks everywhere. My puppy easily found things to chew and when he came to me “bitey” I always had something safe to stick in his mouth. He learned to pick up something to bite and ignore my husband and myself.

When he became a wild man, it was time for a nap in his crate which is inside a pen. Mostly he would go to sleep quickly. Sometimes he was too wound up and had a little tantrum like a toddler before sleeping.

I followed followed Dr Dumbar‘s potty schedule.

Skylar, thank you for sharing your experiences, and reminding me about Ian Dunbar!

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
the Giardia may not be cleared out with one treatment it might take more than one, I have a poodle Pia who came to me because she is a poop eater and she reinfected herself many times and had to be treated many many times before she had a clear fecal test, I had to treat the whole gang twice ( I have 4 dogs)

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
The usual treatment for giardia is Panacur. BUT . . . if you have more than one dog you probably need to treat all of them. It is also critically important to pick up poop quickly and, if possible, to disinfect the area where your dog relieves itself. It's really helpful if you have a place with a concrete or gravel surface that can easily be disinfected.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The usual treatment for giardia is Panacur. BUT . . . if you have more than one dog you probably need to treat all of them. It is also critically important to pick up poop quickly and, if possible, to disinfect the area where your dog relieves itself. It's really helpful if you have a place with a concrete or gravel surface that can easily be disinfected.
Thanks for the input, we don’t have any hard surface areas, only grass, so hard to disinfect other than picking up each time and bagging. I grab the grass too, as much as possible.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the Giardia may not be cleared out with one treatment it might take more than one, I have a poodle Pia who came to me because she is a poop eater and she reinfected herself many times and had to be treated many many times before she had a clear fecal test, I had to treat the whole gang twice ( I have 4 dogs)
Though she’s not a poop eater, I am preparing myself nevertheless for the likelihood of another round of treatment for both Ben and Josie. 🥴

1 - 10 of 10 Posts