Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so when do puppies stop stress peeing? Beauregard (Beaux) is 11 weeks old. We are doing intense socialization because I want him to test with Pet Partners for therapy dog when he is a year old. I took him to the local fire station to introduce him to "people in uniforms". He was wagging his tail and stress peed on the floor. I was so embarrassed. They told me to take him to the police station too ...any love there??

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Lol if you find out the answer let me know! My girl is 13 months and still does it, though less than she used to. For her it’s not brought on by stress though, it’s excitement!

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Avoiding triggers will help, but bladder maturity is often mostly to blame here. Time should take care of it.

If it’s submissive peeing, there is a lot you can read on the net about it.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
At 11 weeks, your have an infant dog. Like an infant human, expect pee and plan ahead. This is not stress pee. This is a dog that hasn't got bladder control physically coordinated yet. The distance between the sensation of "I gotta pee," and actually peeing are pretty much simultaneous. This is pretty much the same as an 11-week-old human. When can you expect bladder control? When you stop counting your dog's age in weeks and start using months.

Bring pee pads for meet and greets at this age, and don't worry about therapy dog work, yet. You'll add stress into your relationship with your dog. Focus on sparking joy in everything you do together, build your friendship with your dog. If your dog isn't ready to be a therapy dog at 1 year, this is not a failure, this is a poodle. Slow maturity is normal in poodles. Patience will be rewarded a thousand fold. Rushing toward goals can and will backfire spectacularly.

You have a baby dog. Enjoy your baby. Don't plan on college entry exams yet. A one year old poodle may not be mature enough for therapy dog work. My one year old poodle was not ready for service dog work. But, at two years, that's when magic started. I wish you joy on your journey. Beaux will get where he needs to go, but only if you give him time to be an infant, a child, and a gawky teen.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
I agree, at 11 weeks old, this is just normal puppy behavior. Plan ahead; potty your puppy first so you see that he has urinated before a meet and greet.

My dog is a trained therapy dog. When we took the exam, several of the dogs failed. That doesn't mean they couldn't be therapy dogs, it just meant they needed more time to mature or more training. I know one passed on the next exam session. My dog was a year old, but all the other dogs were 3 years or older. I mention this so you don't put too much pressure on your dog passing when he is a year old.

In the meantime have you arranged to take him to puppy classes for socialization? After he's had basic obedience training and is completely toilet trained and reliable, look for a good training class for both therapy dogs and the AKC Canine Good Citizen (CGC). This will prepare you for success on the therapy dog test. Best to take a class where they also perform the testing.

And Click is right - work on your connection with your dog - that sparking joy and the rest will follow when it's time.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
My dog was a year old, but all the other dogs were 3 years or older. I mention this so you don't put too much pressure on your dog passing when he is a year old.
That's right, especially if it is Pet Partners or TDI which have more strict requirements than some other therapy dog organizations. Maturity is a huge part of passing the test, and when I volunteered with Pet Partners testing, I noticed most of the dogs who passed were around 3-5 years old.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Skylar. My previous poodle was a therapy dog. He failed the first test because he was in a bad mood and it was raining outside plus I had just had him groomed at a different groomer. Just bad timing. Passed second time. This new guy Beaux is just a puppy but we have already been to the local childrens' shelter several times. He loves kids and they love him. After we pass the test we will be a certified team but for now just introducing to new situations. Very careful at shelter with the kids. Lots of energy. First dog did not like that environment (too much excitement) but did fine in hospital setting. My passion is to do homework and reading with the kids and Beaux can comfort the kids.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts