Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poppy had another bout of dodgy tummy this week, starting just as my sisters came to stay. I need to keep a diary to be sure, but most bouts seem to coincide with more people being here, or us staying elsewhere. I suspect IBS (not IBD), as she is always ready for food and reasonably happy to walk, and it is worst at night and in the early morning. It lasts a few days until we can have 24 hours or so of peaceful routine, and then improves rapidly. She is very happy to see family and friends and to visit them, but because they all live some distance away visits are a bit of a special occasion, and out of the ordinary - ideally we would make it such an everyday occurrence that she could ignore it, but that is not feasible. I did start worrying about HGE yesterday, then looked at Poppy pogo jumping in the hope of getting supper early, bright and waggy tailed, and decided I was stressing unnecessarily myself! She is practically back to normal today.

I have laid in supplies of firming digestive paste and ordered a case of tins of Royal Canin sensitive diet, which I have found even better than home made chicken and rice, plus ice cubes of pumpkin, and of magic chicken stock to dilute (chicken stock, a small amount of salt, a larger amount of sugar) - any other ideas?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Sounds like you already have a good handle on things. Scruffy my cairn terrier has had problems. Would go on and off her food, have gassy poos. She is also a toy destroyer. Recently after about $1800. we concluded she either has cancer in her intestine (as there is thickening or thee wall) or IBD. I simply can't afford further testing so I said lets first ry a IBD diagnosis. So she is eating science diet digestive formula canned. Did really well no more bouts but she is always hungry so I bought some of the ry kibble to add to it (same formula. Well after 4 days she went off her food for a day and had gassy poo. (though I found out my daughter gave her a dental chew). So now back on just the canned until I see everything moving in the right dirstion again. Then I will once again try adding the kibble, as I think she likes crunching. Good luck with Poppy, I think we just keep trying to see what works out the best.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I don't have anything to add about food approaches to Poppy's stress-related diarrhea, but how about looking at the stress itself? Is there any training/conditioning that can be done to decrease her arousal level when guests come to stay or she is the guest? Kikopup has some videos on teaching calm behavior ("capturing calmness") with techniques that can impact the emotional experience for the dog. I hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
I think you have it all covered. If you don’t already, I would give the sensitive food even before guests arrive, maybe 24 hours prior. Also, do their routine as much as possible during your guests visit. The little pieces that can be done. That should reassure here.

She is just a sensitive little thing, don’t worry too much. I find my dogs thrive for routine too, as I live mostly alone with them. They’re never as happy when the routine gets modified.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Good advice and you’re planning well

No unplanned treats especially fatty treats. Bring treats that she tolerates well.

Does she have a quiet space to escape to when visiting? Something she can go to when she feels the overwhelmed? A travel crate or special blanket in a side room? Something that makes her feel safe and she can fully relax? It’s probably anxiety affecting her digestive tract.

·
Registered
12,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do make sure she always has a quiet place to go - practically the first thing she wants to do when we are visiting is to know which is "our" bed, so she can escape there if necessary - and I pack a bag of safe treats when we travel. Good idea about starting feeding the sensitive diet early - always best to prevent rather than cure! She is mostly very calm and relaxed around visitors, sprawling for back rubs and snoozing on laps, then around 2am it all catches up with her and off we go!

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Poor Poppy. I'm sorry you have this problem, sorry for you and her. Maurice sometimes gets a little bout. I have no clue...I think sometimes it might be when I give him something else with his food to try to make it more interesting. He's kind of developed a sensitive tummy it would seem...didn't use to.

So you are wise to be tracking this. I think you got some terrific ideas too from the others. Hope Poppy will get over this soon.

Reactions: fjm

·
Registered
450 Posts
Poppy had another bout of dodgy tummy this week, starting just as my sisters came to stay. I need to keep a diary to be sure, but most bouts seem to coincide with more people being here, or us staying elsewhere. I suspect IBS (not IBD), as she is always ready for food and reasonably happy to walk, and it is worst at night and in the early morning. It lasts a few days until we can have 24 hours or so of peaceful routine, and then improves rapidly. She is very happy to see family and friends and to visit them, but because they all live some distance away visits are a bit of a special occasion, and out of the ordinary - ideally we would make it such an everyday occurrence that she could ignore it, but that is not feasible. I did start worrying about HGE yesterday, then looked at Poppy pogo jumping in the hope of getting supper early, bright and waggy tailed, and decided I was stressing unnecessarily myself! She is practically back to normal today.

I have laid in supplies of firming digestive paste and ordered a case of tins of Royal Canin sensitive diet, which I have found even better than home made chicken and rice, plus ice cubes of pumpkin, and of magic chicken stock to dilute (chicken stock, a small amount of salt, a larger amount of sugar) - any other ideas?
Hoping you find out more. Charlie gets random diarrhea, no loss of energy or appetite and I am going crazy trying to figure out what causes it. Have eliminated chicken and gluten, doing the extra rice and pumpkin, didn't consider stress and change as his entire life has always consisted of NO routine (we travel constantly) and he is totally laid back about it. I like your suggestion about a food/lifestyle diary. Maybe I can narrow it down

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts