Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, I left Ruby out of her kennel but with a diaper on and went out for 2 hrs. She peed just before we left and if I had of been home, I don't think she would have needed to go in those 2 hrs. I came home and her diaper was soaked. I also video taped them while I was gone, just to see who was doing what etc etc....and for the 45 mins allowed with my memory card, Poor Ruby cried and cried...I could see her peeking out the window and crying, I cold hear her little feet on the kitchen floor and she was crying :( Sad to know she was so sad but yet she needs to know that there will be times when I am not home.

Today I had contractors in and out renevating my bathroom..They were quite loud and they were men...Ruby peed 3x in the house in the time they were here plus she was taken outside regularly. They have been gone for about 3 hrs now and she is back to her normal spunky, rotten self (I mean that in a nice way)...Could she have stress incontinence? If so how do we get past it and end it?

I hate to lock her up everytime I go away, I would really like her to be free like Quincy is, but I'm thinking she is always going to have to be kenneled when I am not home. She IS houstrained so I'm not sure why this happened. but stress is my only thought as to why....She is going to get spayed next thursday and I am worried about how she will be when obvioulsy I am not going to be there with her.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
I put Moose in his crate when I leave. Nothing wrong with that.

Just don't leave them in there TOO long.

I don't think he'd Pee in the house but he would be exploring a bunch!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wasn't asking for advice on whether I shoudl lock her up or not, thats a given until I know whats going on....I was more concerned abotu teh stress incontince.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
(Dangit Mel.... All your fault!!)

The first part of your post sounds like seperation anxiety, which has nothing to do with being stressed other than it can cause stress.

The second issue you are probably right and it was nerves. I have a few dogs that come in for grooming who get nervous and pee... alot.

In a nutshell (because this is free when I normal get paid for such)
For safety reasons it's a good idea to kennel or maybe limit the area your baby has acess to you but of course some people feel differently. It would be nice if you could kennel her or otherwise seperate yourself from her while you ARE at home for short periods of time every day. she stays put until she is quiet or until you are ready to let her out and then normal activities resume. Also you shouldn't make a big production of putting her in the kennel or letting her our, nor should your commings and goings around the house be a big deal.

I won't offer advice on the second issue because I'm just to tired

·
Registered
843 Posts
Wasn't asking for advice on whether I shoudl lock her up or not, thats a given until I know whats going on....I was more concerned abotu teh stress incontince.
The advice offered by Todd was based on your original post,stating that you left her out of the crate,while you were gone for 2 hours.
The crate is a safe place for them,they are familiar with it and less stressed out if left alone.
One of my spoo girls had a bit of submissive urination issues when she was a pup,but outgrew it fairly fast.
Your pup will be fine when she is at the vet,don't worry...most of her time there she will be sedated anyway.
Let us know how she is doing.
Good luck.

·
Registered
646 Posts
ok are you 100 % this is not the beginnings of an infection?
Leaks no more is a product that works great that you could look into maybe giving on the stresfull days.
I don't know maybe she was so upset because she had to pee and nobody was there to let her go.

I just got Casey some cranberry that has d-mannose in them and it cure up his oncoming infection in 2 days. He went in his crate that he hasn't done in months, went 5 times outside in course of half hour so I went to store grabbed the pills and gave him double doses 2xs that night and then next morning and all was good

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Teddy has separation anxiety and will tear up the house if I leave him out of the crate when I am out. I feel bad not letting him be free like the girls but he really doesnt mind. He knows he gets a treat lol

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
It sounds like stress incontinence to me. Taffy did that for a little while.

Taffy is very attached to me and gets very upset when I leave her; even if it is to go down to the barn. She could follow me but sometimes she just sits up at the house and whines and howls.

I crate her at night and when I have to be away from home because it makes her feel more secure. She gets treats in her crate and toys to chew, and water. She has a blanket toward the back to sleep on.

She cried a lot at first when she started to be crate trained even though my two other dogs slept right next to her. But it lasted only about a week and a half and suddenly she was sleeping through the night with the others. She started looking forward to the treat she new she was going to get when she went inside. This seemed to build her confidence and helped alleviate the stress of me not being there.

She stopped peeing frequently and is much better now.

I don't know if this is the problem you are having but I just wanted to share my experience in case it was.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts