Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9 week old standard poodle has puppy strangles. I’ve had dogs my entire life and never heard of this disease. He has been with us for 2 weeks as of today.
The second day of bringing him home we noticed ear scratching so I looked into his floppy ears and they were black .
Treated for yeast and bacteria infection.
5 days later green eye discharge.
Not active and slept all the time.
Long story short today was diagnosed with strangles.
being treated with prednisone and an antibiotic and eye ointment.

·
Super Moderator
4,269 Posts
Aw. Poor babe :(

I follow someone on Instagram whose puppy had this. He seems to have recovered fully.

I don't know much about the condition itself, but treatment seems like it could cause its own set of problems in such a young boy. Hoping your vet will advise you on some holistic support, like probiotics.

Comet is such a cutie. Congratulations on your new addition and I'm so sorry he's going through this.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Poor boy. As PeggyTheParti mentioned, probiotics are a good idea, as they will help settle the stomach. It’s why they recommend you eat yogurt if you have an infection bad enough for antibiotics. If your vet doesn’t prescribe them, I’d recommend picking some up yourself. Purina makes some, I think.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aw. Poor babe :(

I follow someone on Instagram whose puppy had this. He seems to have recovered fully.

I don't know much about the condition itself, but treatment seems like it could cause its own set of problems in such a young boy. Hoping your vet will advise you on some holistic support, like probiotics.

Comet is such a cutie. Congratulations on your new addition and I'm so sorry he's going through this.
What kind of problems can the treatment cause ?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Prednisone is an immune system suppressant. Therefore, it can make puppy more vulnerable to illness and other certain things, and if you use it looong term, it can cause other issues. And antibiotics are notorious for causing upset stomach and digestive issues. Probiotics usually help with this. Definitely do not stop giving these things, it sounds like a typical treatment for this type of thing, and since you are already doing the treatment, stopping can make it come back worse, and then you’ll really have to use the meds.
EDIT: Added a link.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is what my Comet looked like exactly 1 week before being diagnosed with Strangles. Photo taken July 8th.
First sign of strangles was green discharge in both eyes. 24 hours later bottom eyelids of both eyes sticking out and swollen and red. He was diagnosed with ear infection (both bacteria and yeast that vet said was worst ear infection she has ever seen in her life in a pup so young) 1 week before this photo was taken and now I'm wondering was it strangles. The first and previous photo in this thread was taken July 15th. I am going to reply to this thread again with pictures of his ears and muzzle. You won't believe how painful it looks. He does nothing other than eat and drink and potty. He has been on prednisone since July 1st because of ear infection but they doubled that starting July 15th.
Last night he seemed to have more energy than usual but he is misearable. I feel so bad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know if the crust on his ear is pus from strangles or ear infection medicine from 2 weeks ago.
My next photo coming is his muzzle :(
You cannot get this off his hair. I try warm water, soaking, you can't brush it he yelps in pain.....
He is always rubbing his ears in the ground.
His ears are what started the entire episode of prednisone.
The day after I brought him home he was scratching, rubbing, and every time he put his paw in his ear he would yelp.
I thought is was mites because he has no fleas but first trip to vet said bad double ear infection.
My first worry is ........
Always sleeping. The first day I brought him home he would only
be active for 2 hours in an entire 24 hour period.

I would like to ask is this normal in healthy puppy poodles/??????

Today - two week after having my new puppy his activity level is less.

My 9 year old chinese crested with a bad back is much more active than my Comet has been since the day I
brought him home.

Here comes another photo. Sorry for all the threads I just want people to know about this terrible disease
and what to look for.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you are able to enlarge this photo taken today July 19th you can see crust along his mouth.
The inside of his mouth is swollen although he is able to eat somehow.
I have to mix canned food with his dry food.
He has no hair under his nose. I have more photos but I think I have posted enough for now.
I will post new pic in 1 week.
He has been on double prednisone for 2 days and I'd have to say only a 5% activity level increase.
He is NOT getting worse.
He is more active around 6 p.m.
He is eating more now that I mix canned food but if I don't mix his food he doesn't eat at all.
One more thing. He has a very hard time doing #2.
I thought it was hemorrhoids but after reading about strangles from a lot of websites
it is just a symptom of strangles.
I have to use baby wipes to clean him when he's done.

Thanks everyone for your support.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I’m so sorry ypur puppy has this illness. It looks horrible. I’ve never heard of it either. I hope he recovers fast. Thank you for taking such good care of him.

·
Super Moderator
4,269 Posts
Young puppies do sleep for 18-20 hours per day. But this seems like a horrible ordeal for such a little guy. I'm sorry. :(

Do you have full confidence in your vet? Are they experienced in treating this condition?

Be sure to read up on the side effects of prednisone so you can identify what's normal and what may require additional attention.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I also have never heard of strangles and had to look it up. Sad, I’m sorry he’s dealing with such an uncomfortable illness.
What a stressful thing to deal with on top of having a new puppy home. Thankfully he’s getting the treatment he needs. Looks like he’ll recover in within couple weeks, thank god.
Comet is a very cute boy. Just keep giving him love and as much positivity as you can muster while he’s awake.
Thank you for sharing the progression of his symptoms and pics so other people can learn about this illness.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Young puppies do sleep for 18-20 hours per day. But this seems like a horrible ordeal for such a little guy. I'm sorry. :(

Do you have full confidence in your vet? Are they experienced in treating this condition?

Be sure to read up on the side effects of prednisone so you can identify what's normal and what may require additional attention.
Since strangles is so rare I’m not sure if anyone is an expert but nothing so far for me to find another vet

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I also have never heard of strangles and had to look it up. Sad, I’m sorry he’s dealing with such an uncomfortable illness.
What a stressful thing to deal with on top of having a new puppy home. Thankfully he’s getting the treatment he needs. Looks like he’ll recover in within couple weeks, thank god.
Comet is a very cute boy. Just keep giving him love and as much positivity as you can muster while he’s awake.
Thank you for sharing the progression of his symptoms and pics so other people can learn about this illness.
Thank you for your kind and much needed words

1 - 20 of 50 Posts