Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am babysitting my sister's dog and he has super irritated paws. He is constantly licking. His beige fur is discolored to a redish brown in the locations affected. Some of the bedding around his nails is red and swollen too. He also has 2 spots on his legs, near creased areas that are affect.

The worse spot is on his right leg. in this area, he is mostly bald now, with a dry white crust and lots of red swelling. I will add a picture. there is one bloody spot because i picked a little bit of the spot to see what it was. I wont pick it again.

She made a vet appointment but I would like to know how I can help him feel better in the mean time.. Have you seen this before?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

I am babysitting my sister's dog and he has super irritated paws. He is constantly licking. His beige fur is discolored to a redish brown in the locations affected. Some of the bedding around his nails is red and swollen too. He also has 2 spots on his legs, near creased areas that are affect.

The worse spot is on his right leg. in this area, he is mostly bald now, with a dry white crust and lots of red swelling. I will add a picture. there is one bloody spot because i picked a little bit of the spot to see what it was. I wont pick it again.

She made a vet appointment but I would like to know how I can help him feel better in the mean time.. Have you seen this before?

Perhaps he has allergies? My poodle suffers from extreme allergies. Here is a website that might be helpful on allergies. https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.enduraflap.com/blog/post/treatment-for-dog-cat-seasonal-allergies/&sa=D&source=hangouts&ust=1535670837373000&usg=AFQjCNHmZ1SyWKkCL3xF3jcOf8JxIU7fvw

·
Premium Member
22,899 Posts
I can't say I've seen anything like that, but since it is itchy I would suggest you try benadryl to give some relief before you get to the vet. the red staining is probably from saliva from the licking.

·
Super Moderator
3,065 Posts
I'm more concerned about that red round rash on your thumb. Tick bites carrying Lyme look like this, with that bullseye appearance. It may be nothing to be alarmed about but ignoring it is dangerous if that what it is.

I caught Lyme disease 21 years ago and it's extremely difficult to get rid of if treatment isn't started right away. It's literally a disease from Hell as it mimics other extremely serious disorders.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
It looks like allergies to me and when they start licking, the saliva turns the fur rusty colored as well as starting a yeast infection........Foot soaks with 1 gal water, 1 cup hydrogen peroxide, and 1 cup white vinegar(or Apple cider Vinegar) will help kill the yeast and soothe the itching Soak each paw for at least 30 seconds and let air dry. The allergies could be either environmental or dietary..........a Animal Dermatologist is who you should visit!

Google 'Foot soaks for dogs' for other soaking suggestions!

P.S. Just 'wiping' the paws is not effective as yeast lodges itself in the nail beds I've even heard of people rubbing MoniStat into the paws to kill yeast! ( also used for yeast infections in dog's ears) Check the dogs ears too!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm more concerned about that red round rash on your thumb. Tick bites carrying Lyme look like this, with that bullseye appearance. It may be nothing to be alarmed about but ignoring it is dangerous if that what it is.

I caught Lyme disease 21 years ago and it's extremely difficult to get rid of if treatment isn't started right away. It's literally a disease from Hell as it mimics other extremely serious disorders.
Ha! Thanks for the concern but it's a faded heart tatoo.

·
Registered
12,248 Posts
Given that it is paws and crevices I would suspect harvest mites/chiggers. Sophy is occasionally affected by them. If so, the mites are probably long gone but the irritation they cause lasts for ages - the vet should be able to give you something to ease it, and Frontline spray applied to paws and legs keeps the nasties away.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it turned out to be seasonal allergies. I got him some anty itch spray and it helped until he got to the vet. The vet prescribed him allergy meds that make him a little loopy. He is already improving. Thanks for your input :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts