Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So apparently the president of the animal shelter was told to pass the message down to me from the meeting Thursday I did not attend, that I need to edit the text on the website for the shelter and quit referring to "bitch" as a female dog because this is SOUTHERN ARKANSAS AND WE COULD BE NICER. Bitch=female dog TECHNICAL TERMS. I just find this ridiculous. People need to get with the times. :ballchain:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Just an explination of thier possible view point

you know MM, I understand where you are comming from BUUUTTT I had the same conversation with my mother reccently. Because when you're placing pets and you are talking to the general public the word bitch can be offensive,(even though it isn't being used imporperly here). If we're dealing with another breeder, or a show person it's a puppy bitch. If it's the family of four who just wants a fuz ball to love, it's a girl or female. It doesn't do any harm to me to refer to them as female rather than bitches and it is less offensive to people who may or may not understand technical terms.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Yes, MM...I have to agree. Although it is the proper term in the doggy world, people of the general public tend to associate the word with it's more used form of cursing. In this case, I understand where they are coming from and that the general public will be more responsive to female.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
MM, I agree with you completely that it's stupid to be offended by a word and not even know what it really means. My mother and I were discussing the phrase "Indian Giver" a few days ago. It's funny/sad b/c people think it's a slur toward Native Americans, but it's really about the people who gave things to the Native Americans and then took it back.

I do however agree with the others that when dealing w/ pets and adoption, using the technical term isn't always neccessary. Some people don't know the actual meaning of "bitch" but they still might make good pet owners. Anything to get the animals a home right?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts