Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
My Standard will be spayed in June. She is a beautiful large girl bred from two large parents. My groomer suggested having her stomach stapled at the same time because this helps prevent bloating, which is a problem with many Standards. Has anyone done this? Is it necessary/helpful? I plan to discuss this with my vet but was interested in knowing how Poodle Forum Members felt.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Hi

I'm a mini owner so a bit out of my territory but a number of our standard owners have done the gastropexy. As I understand it, the procedure is to stop or reduce the torsion of the stomach, it doesn't stop the bloating itself. They're both aspects of Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus (GDV). I think by preventing the torsion of the stomach, additional minutes are bought to get to a vet or otherwise minimize the bloating.

I know our spoo owners will be by shortly to give better information. Til then, if you search gastropexy or bloat above in Search Community or Advanced Search you'll find useful info.

·
Premium Member
23,151 Posts
The stomach tack doesn't prevent bloat but minimizes the risk of torsion which is the really dangerous part of bloating. We have three dogs that are all potential bloaters, two standard poodles and a German shepherd dog. None of them have had gastropexies. If you are going to have it done, spay time is ideal since it is a two for one on anaesthesia.

Reactions: cowpony
1 - 3 of 3 Posts