Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My spoo puppy, Tango, started vomiting last night, this morning he had diarrhea and it was mostly blood in the stool..he is very sad and down (understandable). We went to the vet she gave him a steroid injection, he starts anti biotics tomorrow and has to eat special gastro intestinal low fat food (no food today).

How did he get this infection? This is his second time on anti biotics in 5 months (first being for a tic bite). Should he take a probiotic, the vet did not mention anything like this..I'm from Ireland and we barely do probiotic for humans! 馃 Can anyone recommend one? I think I'm panicking because I'm focusing on weird things, but I just really don't want him to be sick 馃挏

Registered
When my dogs take antibiotics they are usually also given probiotics. I use to just add them myself but now my vet does it whenever he prescribes antibiotics. I'm sorry your pup is having stomach issues at such a young age. What were you feeding him? He does look sad in his photo but such a handsome guy! Hopefully they will figure out what is upsetting his stomach.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, he's beautiful..just out of sorts..I'll source a probiotic today and hopefully he will feel better soon!! 馃挏馃挏

Registered
I just went through this with my two dogs. Beckie鈥檚 been having on and off episodes since she was a puppy. I very highly suspect they鈥檙e caused by allergies, which is why I started her on raw and I am testing one protein at a time (pre-made raw, I don鈥檛 have to do anything except thaw and serve).

Both my dogs were put on antibiotics (that is what stops the diarrhea), anti-nausea, anti-acid and probiotics. They were also given intradermal fluids. I also gave them water with a serynge 3-4 times a day (you need to be careful so the dog doesn鈥檛 aspirate). Beckie also had pain medication but I had to ask for it. It took about 7 days for Merlin to be well, and 2 weeks for Beckie, but she has chronic problems as I said. They were also put on low fat food but Beckie has been on raw ever since she was ill (low fat raw). They thought she also had pancreatic problems.

The probiotics the vet gave them is Aventi GI complete. It鈥檚 a paste and they both love liking it ! I think it鈥檚 on鈥檡 available in Canada but just in case here is a link :

As for the cause, in my case, since both dogs were sick and it happened right after I changed their food, it might have been a bad batch, even though it was very expensive vet food.

In general, It can be caused by allergies or something the dog ate.

Registered
Hi,
I live in the UK and bought a pre/probiotic for my mini when he had a bad session with gastric issues. I found he enjoyed it more than the powdered version the vet prescribed. It is called Tummy for dogs and is available from Amazon or direct from the company. It really helped him and if he has any issues now we just put him back on it. One drawback for you would be that your dog would need more than one tablet a day... a pack of 120 tablets costs just over 拢21.

Registered

Super Moderator
I've given both ThorneVet (privately purchased) and Purina (prescribed by my vet) probiotics with no issue.

A steroid injection, new food, and antibiotics鈥攁ll of which can trigger their own set of problems鈥攕eem like rather a big reaction if your vet doesn't know the cause of the upset. Was it the blood that prompted this course of treatment?

Unless I had complete faith in my vet, I'd be leaning towards feeding a bland homemade diet (white boiled chicken, plain boiled rice), watching closely for signs of dehydration or anemia, and getting a second opinion if the issue persists.

But after so many bad experiences, I'm admittedly wary of vets. I know sometimes you just have to trust them, especially in emergency situations.

I hope Tango is feeling much better soon.

Registered
One of my fosters was put into rescue because he upchucked everything he ate. Owners tried "everything", even special ordered food through the mail. I fed him raw and he was fine. However, you cannot expect to adopt out a dog that must be fed raw, so I put him on probiotics. Fixed the problem. I used kefir. Yogurt has a half dozen probiotics, kefir has 32. If you want, I can send you a starter.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all so much for your help!! He is much better now..and back to his usual self ,almost, I think I will look into his diet a bit more...I have seen kefir in my local health food shop I didn't know you could give it how much would you give @Michigan Gal?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts