Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
623 Posts
I must not be registering why Chewy would need to close since they are mail order so don't have the problem of customers coming in their store. Maybe someone can explain?
They weren't closed. They were just out of stock on lots of stuff, including, unexpectedly, all variations of the cordless trimmer I planned to buy.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I must not be registering why Chewy would need to close since they are mail order so don't have the problem of customers coming in their store. Maybe someone can explain?
I think it's concern about the supply chain. Will ingredients continue to be shipped from Asia? Will factories here remain open?

We don't have answers. But if insurance companies are allowing 3-month refills on prescription meds, perhaps we should get 3-month meds supplies for pets? No one really knows.

Or perhaps it's just that having a 3-month supply of dog food on hand is comforting.

·
Registered
381 Posts
If their employees get sick they may not have enough staff. More concerning would be supply chain issues.

I buy food in 40 lbs bags. I have about 3 months supply right now, more if I start adding human food. I wanted to buy another bag from Rens online but they are sold out.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If their employees get sick they may not have enough staff.
That's what I was thinking.

If one person gets the virus and shows up to work not knowing they are sick (people are testing positive before showing symptoms), doesn't everyone exposed have to quarantine for a minimum of 14 days? Specific locations might not be able to run for weeks.

Also, we are still learning more about what "shelter in place" means by state. Does that mean only necessary businesses, such as pharmacies and grocery stores? Where I live, specific businesses are being ordered to close. My place of employment has many employees and we are closed.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Update: It's been five days since I placed my Chewy order for Peggy's food and there is still no tracking information. Just today they shipped another part of the order separately, which is nice. I'm guessing food is flying off their shelves.

I read an article, too, that said Chewy call centre employees are upset about their working conditions and don't feel proper accommodations are being made for social distancing: Remote Work, Social Distancing Not Offered To Some Workers

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
My order for Poppy (hepatic food and Denamarin) and Tilly-cat (renal food) has now been shipped, so should arrive on my doorstep this week. I have an order of frozen food arriving next Tuesday, so should then have a three months supply for all the animals. Here the online distributors are hit by the double whammy of staff off and more and bigger orders - I doubled mine for canned food, for example, to be sure of having enough were I to be incapacitated, and of course many people who would normally shop locally are going online to avoid contact. Supermarkets are being stripped - I spoke to one chap who was unable to get a six-pack of the only food his dog likes, and could only buy 4 cans as they have had to impose a 4 per item maximum. And my neighbour with cats asked me to get them a box of 14lbs of chicken from the frozen food supplier to keep them stocked up. Fortunately the supplier is very well stocked, very well organised, and was prepared to amend my order over the phone!

Human food is proving a tad more complicated...!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
New From Chewy:

A message about current events:
Dear Pet Parents, Chewy is always here for you. Due to high demand, current delivery times are running considerably longer than usual on food and supplies. Stay well and thanks for choosing us.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Human food is proving a tad more complicated...!
Indeed! We are extremely spoiled in our small town, with half a dozen large grocery stores and several smaller markets to choose from. I even purchased some beef directly from a cattle farmer last week, which is such a luxury in this day and age.

But do you think I can find flour anywhere??? Nope.

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
The organic box company I was relying on for fresh meat, veg and fruit have just sent me a message saying they are dropping my deliveries as I am right on the edge of their territory. So no fresh stuff on Friday... The local shops have a bit, but not a very good selection and not nearly as fresh - I am feeling unreasonably peeved!

·
Registered
516 Posts
The organic box company I was relying on for fresh meat, veg and fruit have just sent me a message saying they are dropping my deliveries as I am right on the edge of their territory.
Will they let you come and pick it up?

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Not really - they are based the other end of the country, but also have a farm about 60 miles away. I think they are just overwhelmed by demand, and looking to reduce customers.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Wrong post

·
Registered
361 Posts
I am appalled that apparently liquor stores are considered a necessary business that should stay open!
Haha! Doesn't bother me at all if they are ordered to close. I can't believe the lineup outside our local outlets. Now, if chocolate were to become unavailable.....

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
361 Posts
The organic box company I was relying on for fresh meat, veg and fruit have just sent me a message saying they are dropping my deliveries as I am right on the edge of their territory. So no fresh stuff on Friday... The local shops have a bit, but not a very good selection and not nearly as fresh - I am feeling unreasonably peeved!
Don't think you are unreasonable. When I owned a distribution company our loyal old customers always had orders filled before new customers if stock was short

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Herd mentality - big run on toilet paper here and I just had to follow the crowd. Supermarkets all sold out and have been for days. Did find some at the pharmacy, they had a 1 limit on paper products. Anyway picked up the t.p. and some paper towels, which we really did need.

I went to Chewy to make sure I had enough of Asta's kibble. They sent an email saying that shipping would be 5-7 days. I am okay with that. Also picked up a good supply of doggie cookies and smartbones.

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
My wine order (+1 bottle gin) is also on its way. Interesting how now we have just about got the dog food sorted on this thread we have turned to the human essentials!

I am OK for chocolate for the time being, too - I bought just a couple of extra packs of mini bars when I was still shopping, and as the craving only strikes a couple of times a week and one little bar fixes it they should last a while yet.

I am now searching for the fastest growing veg plants I can find. I have an IKEA grow light sitting waiting to fix to the bottom of a shelf, and if I could get some baby leaves going to tide me over that would be something. Another month or two and the garden will start to produce, but we are right in the hun gry gap till then - my brassicas got eaten by caterpillars last summer and never really recovered, so the pickings are very thin. Had I known what was coming I would have been more vigilant!

·
Registered
229 Posts
We're starting cherry tomato and basil seeds in peat pots to move to the porch at the end of April. My porch radishes have tiny leaves and the porch lettuce is ready to eat. We don't have enough sun for a real garden (and we probably have too many raccoons and rabbits).

Normie is well supplied and won't have to eat canned beans.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts