Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dogs get fed canned and dry food. I have enough food in storage to last until mid/possibly late April.

I am wondering how much food everyone else has stored up for their pets? Stores (large and small) in this area are beginning to close, and I am wondering if businesses, like Chewy, also will need to shut down for a period of time. Not panicking, but wanting to be prepared.

·
Premium Member
22,576 Posts
I home cook and have ingredients on hand for into early April, but will admit to feeling the need of going to Costco and doing a PeaPod order to add some depth to certain items.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
This is totally arbitrary, based more on my gut than anything, but I would allow, at minimum, a one month buffer for any deliveries.

So if you need more dog food for mid-April, and don't want any interruptions to your dog's preferred diet, I'd order now.

At least then, if something goes out of stock, you have time to transition to a new food.

·
Registered
11,938 Posts
I also home cook, but Poppy and Tilly cat are also on prescription diets. I have reordered the prescription foods to make sure I have a 6-8 week stock, and bought in 10 days of commercial wet food for Sophy and Pippin-cat in case I am incapacitated. The frozen food company I order from delivers fortnightly and I have less than three weeks' supply left, so I have just put in an order for delivery at the end of the month. My aim is to keep around 4 weeks in hand - that gives time to deal with disruption to supply lines, or slower deliveries than usual. JIT gives me the jitters!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm concerned about the ingredients that may become hard to get. We picked up a case of Royal Canin from our vet today. And placed an order for dry with Petco.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
I home cook because if food allergies and intolerances. I have a months supply I base her food on the cooked turkey breast from Costco and I haven’t been able to find it in the store for three weeks. I might have to buy and cook chicken breast. The turkey is so easy to deal with as it has no skin, bones or lumps of fat.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I home cook because if food allergies and intolerances. I have a months supply I base her food on the cooked turkey breast from Costco and I haven’t been able to find it in the store for three weeks. I might have to buy and cook chicken breast. The turkey is so easy to deal with as it has no skin, bones or lumps of fat.
Would ground turkey breast work? Not sure about present availability, but there are typically some very lean options. I like using it for taco meat.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Since humans are being encouraged to have a 3 month supply of their meds, I also made sure that Normie does too. Flea season is probably already here in Tennessee. Those who can may want to have enough to get through the summer on hand.

I'm not a survivalist, but I worry less if I have things on hand.

·
Super Moderator
590 Posts
I'm more worried about the cat than the dogs. Dogs are capable of surviving in a much wider range of foods than cats. I've got about a three week supply of dog and cat food right now. Actually, I have slightly more cat food than that, because I accidentally bought a bag of food with legume protein in it. He and I agree that he shouldn't eat it, but it's better than nothing if I run out. I should lay in a bit more.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My dogs get fed canned and dry food. I have enough food in storage to last until mid/possibly late April.

I am wondering how much food everyone else has stored up for their pets? Stores (large and small) in this area are beginning to close, and I am wondering if businesses, like Chewy, also will need to shut down for a period of time. Not panicking, but wanting to be prepared.
Worried too. Charlie the Poodle has allergies and it took forever to find a food that works for him. We have been calling around and not finding his food in stock. Asked son in law an hour away to pick up food, we will see what he finds

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Would ground turkey breast work? Not sure about present availability, but there are typically some very lean options. I like using it for taco meat.
Yes ground turkey could be an option if it doesn’t have skin ground up. Thanks for that idea

·
Registered
357 Posts
Since humans are being encouraged to have a 3 month supply of their meds, I also made sure that Normie does too. Flea season is probably already here in Tennessee. Those who can may want to have enough to get through the summer on hand.

I'm not a survivalist, but I worry less if I have things on hand.
Me too. We finally found a place that got stock of Charlie s special food. Driving an hour round trip to pick it up. I'd rather have 2 + months of food on hand as we live in a tiny mountain village and I have been trying to stock up for the past 3 weeks with no luck. We have enough flea, tick and heartworm tablets to last until mid July, and are going to ask the vet to refill 3 months worth of his Apoquel allergy medicine tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I hadn't planned to stock extra but changed my mind after still trying to locate a loaf of wheat bread at four different grocery stores, two visits each, over the last few days.

I had a bag in my cart at Petsmart.com and another in my cart at Petco.com. I went back to the open Petsmart tab, and they sold out while I was on the Petco site. I went back to Petco asap and snagged two bags as a precaution.

We should be good for a couple of months on kibble and there's always home cooking. Now to pick up a few extra treats and such.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Since Chewy is the only online retailer I know that sells Farmina, I just bought a second 26.5 lb bag to be safe.

I got this email in response:

Dear Robin,
Things are a little backed up on our end with many pet parents ordering food and supplies. Rest assured, we're working hard to deliver your order as soon as possible, while caring for the health and safety of our team members.
We expect most orders to be delivered within the next 5-8 days. You'll automatically receive a tracking link as soon as your order ships. Nothing to do on your part. We're taking care of it.
Thank you for understanding. We hope all our pet parents and their beloved pets stay safe.
Yours truly,

The Chewy Family

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since Chewy is the only online retailer I know that sells Farmina, I just bought a second 26.5 lb bag to be safe.

I got this email in response:

Dear Robin,
Things are a little backed up on our end with many pet parents ordering food and supplies. Rest assured, we're working hard to deliver your order as soon as possible, while caring for the health and safety of our team members.
We expect most orders to be delivered within the next 5-8 days. You'll automatically receive a tracking link as soon as your order ships. Nothing to do on your part. We're taking care of it.
Thank you for understanding. We hope all our pet parents and their beloved pets stay safe.
Yours truly,

The Chewy Family
Thanks for the heads up. Ordering more food for sure. The price of one flavor of Farmina just went up on Chewy, too.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
I currently have about 8 weeks food for everybody, but am now thinking I should get more after reading the posts here. I never considered Chewy might have to close. On the other hand, they are also a pharmacy so at least that part will still be able to ship. But I'm headed there right now to order another 17lb bag of the two foods i use. It's really nice that these bags will last at least 4 months, each dog.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I currently have about 8 weeks food for everybody, but am now thinking I should get more after reading the posts here. I never considered Chewy might have to close. On the other hand, they are also a pharmacy so at least that part will still be able to ship. But I'm headed there right now to order another 17lb bag of the two foods i use. It's really nice that these bags will last at least 4 months, each dog.
I got lucky. Made a round trip of 1.5 hours because I found a store that just got a dogfood delivery. I was first customer there 5 minutes after they opened. $300 later, I had 4 bags of Charlie 's special food. The staff assured me that 8 bags were confirmed for another delivery later that afternoon or I would have left a bag for the next desperate person. At 5 cups per day/ the dogfood goes fast

·
Super Moderator
590 Posts
The panic has definitely hit Chewy. I went online just night to put in what I would consider a pretty normal monthly order. Pogo's food was removed from my cart before I could check out. The clippers I wanted to get for the puppy are also sold out. A panic run on cordless clippers. Just, wow.?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I must not be registering why Chewy would need to close since they are mail order so don't have the problem of customers coming in their store. Maybe someone can explain?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts