Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I really want to put Sting into pattern already. Im personally a little tired of the puppy clip and would like to see some hair gone. What do you guys think? Is it way to early? Should I just stick out the puppy clip longer?

He'll be 1 yr old in September.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Has his coat changed yet? Does that matter?
Will it matter in the ring?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
"b) Clip-- A Poodle under 12 months may be shown in the "Puppy" clip. In all regular classes, Poodles 12 months or over must be shown in the "English Saddle" or "Continental" clip.

I am not sure if they have to be in puppy clip. but in red it says may be shown. I would ask someone before I would go through with it.

If you are going to show him now in AKC I would probably not do it because 1. no one else is doing it. 2. the judge might think you dog is in the wrong class or could look at your dog differently.

If you don't plan to show him till he is 12 months then do it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"b) Clip-- A Poodle under 12 months may be shown in the "Puppy" clip. In all regular classes, Poodles 12 months or over must be shown in the "English Saddle" or "Continental" clip.

I am not sure if they have to be in puppy clip. but in red it says may be shown. I would ask someone before I would go through with it.

If you are going to show him now in AKC I would probably not do it because 1. no one else is doing it. 2. the judge might think you dog is in the wrong class or could look at your dog differently.

If you don't plan to show him till he is 12 months then do it.
Well in AKC you cannot show a puppy (under 1) in a continental clip. Im in no hurry to take him out AKC anyhow. Let me refraise that, I dont think people show them in a continental as puppies and its not advised in AKC. I dont know for sure.

I did read UKC's site and he can be in what ever and be shown. So if I do it, then yes, Im limiting myself. Hmmmmm ??? lol

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Well in AKC you cannot show a puppy (under 1) in a continental clip. Im in no hurry to take him out AKC anyhow. Let me refraise that, I dont think people show them in a continental as puppies and its not advised in AKC. I dont know for sure.

I did read UKC's site and he can be in what ever and be shown. So if I do it, then yes, Im limiting myself. Hmmmmm ??? lol
Yeah if your not planing on AKC until he is 12 then do it otherwise you wont be able to show AKC.

UKC does not care what clip he is in. IMO I think you should take him to some AKC shows to get used to it. The ukc shows have 10 times less dogs and people than a AKC show. There are more AKC shows also and people will be able to see you and sting and get to know you in AKC.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Jenn, I put Monroe in his Conti a month early. I was soooo nervous about it, but I'm super glad that I did. Half the hair is definitely a blessing, especially as we're in the midst of that god-awful coat change. I haven't shown him for a minute anyway, but I could if I wanted to, AKC or UKC or IBECA...Still, he turns a year on June 7, so it's almost a mute point, but I guess it would depend on your reasons and plans. One mistake I did make is redoing his puppy cut too soon before switching styles. It would have been better to have more hair to work with on his back for his rosettes.
I thought I would hate the Conti, but I really love it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts