Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bobby still has the runs,the vet said give boiled chicken and rice i have but hes still runny two days now,how long before this settles down??

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you begin to notice any blood in it - don't worry but do take him to the vet as he needs an antibiotic. I've had a few puppies have that happen. And really, I probably would give it another day or so before asking the vet about one.
But in the meantime, you could try giving straight pumpkin. Take away the other food and give him a little of this. That is a great one for firming up poo.
OR you could put some yogurt with his food. These are some at home things you can try before callig the vet again.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know where to get pumpkin im in the uk and its only seasonal in october believe it or not.
I took Bobby to the vet today she said it was ok just to keep him on boiled rice and chicken,he doesnt have blood in his poo but im watching him.

·
Registered
646 Posts
pure canned pumpkin in the baking isle. Not pumpkin pie filling.
You could go into a drug store and ask for some probiotics as well which would be the most helpful. Pills just drop 2 in with his food and they will goble them down.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Did the vet give him anything to help or just told you to give chicken and rice?

I might try fasting him for a day, give him water only but no food.. he's not a really young puppy if I remember correctly at least 6 mo?? Anyway if he's an older pup you might try the fast and then do chicken and rice and see if that helps. Otherwise I would go to the vet. Definily go to the vet asap if you notice blood. It doesn't always mean there is a horrible emergancy BUT it can progress into one quickly depending on what is going on in that tummy of his.

·
Registered
216 Posts
One of my dogs is prone to unformed poos at certain times (usually before and during her season). We usually starve her for 24 hours and then introduce rice and a very little chicken. You need to boil the rice for much longer than we would when eating it ourselves.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts