Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that Poppy is much more comfortable walking on short grass and other softer surfaces, and slows down pebbly paths. I suspect the steroids she has to take may be thinning the callouses on her paw pads to the extent that pebbles hurt, just as they do through thin shoe soles. Has anyone else noticed this? Her paws are not sore, and there is no inflammation, but the pads definitely feel smoother and softer. I don't think we will be looking at boots, though - just more walks on grass!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Mia's not on steroids, but I have noticed over the last year that she prefers soft surfaces to gravel. One of favorite trails has big chunky fist-sized gravel for the first quarter mile, and about a year ago I noticed that she rather gingerly made her way through this section on our way out. My theory is that enthusiasm dampens the pain on the way in, but on the return she has nothing new to sniff and is more aware of the discomfort. Now we only hike this trail when I can take a bypass, which isn't always available, so that she only needs to do the section once. Like you, I've merely shifted to softer trails, even if they're a bit of a drive.

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
Gracie began began walking soooo slowly and carefully on gravel in her later years. I wonder if the effect of Cushing's on the body is similar to steroids. Or perhaps this sensitivity is related to age.

·
Registered
12,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She is definitely covering less ground, although we are doing pretty well, given her issues. I used to try to average 3 miles a day with them, walking off leash on a mix of paved paths, grass, gravel, beach, etc. Now we try for 2 miles on average. But you may well be right - I have just checked and Sophy's feet also seem less callused, although she is less worried by stoney surfaces. All of us slowing down a bit, no doubt...

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
I only mentioned because my pups feet are less callused now as well and they are young but less traveled these days

1 - 7 of 7 Posts