Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just got new slippers since Olive destroyed my old ones! Now she also wants my new slippers! What can I do to prevent them from being stolen and destroyed?
Thank you,
Olive Love

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
When i was age 5, and I got my first puppy, my parents told me anything on the floor - shoes, toys, clothes, books- belonged to the puppy, and it wasnt her fault if i left something there and they got destroyed, it was mine for leaving them there. All subsequent puppies have had the same rule, and it works pretty well.

Before 1 year ish, if i dont want my puppy to eat it i pick it up and put it away, or leave it in rooms the puppy cant access. As they get older, you can relax a bit, but the best way to prevent this is never give them the opportunity.

When Annie was small, i had a LOT of baby gates and ex pens blocking her from various rooms to keep my stuff safe.

·
Premium Member
23,386 Posts
Uhh, put them where she can't reach them. For the time being this is about lessons for humans. Avoid setting puppies up for making mistakes they don't understand are mistakes.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When i was age 5, and I got my first puppy, my parents told me anything on the floor - shoes, toys, clothes, books- belonged to the puppy, and it wasnt her fault if i left something there and they got destroyed, it was mine for leaving them there. All subsequent puppies have had the same rule, and it works pretty well.

Before 1 year ish, if i dont want my puppy to eat it i pick it up and put it away, or leave it in rooms the puppy cant access. As they get older, you can relax a bit, but the best way to prevent this is never give them the opportunity.

When Annie was small, i had a LOT of baby gates and ex pens blocking her from various rooms to keep my stuff safe.
Off topic: What was the breed of your first puppy?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I keep my sheepskin slippers in the closet with the door closed - only way to prevent Zoe from taking them. That said, she has never chewed on them, she just likes to carry them around. Still, I'd rather not have slippers with dog spit.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
When i was age 5, and I got my first puppy, my parents told me anything on the floor - shoes, toys, clothes, books- belonged to the puppy, and it wasnt her fault if i left something there and they got destroyed, it was mine for leaving them there.
Wise advice.

Don’t let your dog rehearse bad behavior or it can become an adult habit. The hard work you put in with a puppy pays off with a well behaved dog the rest of it’s life. If you 100% of the time keep your slippers and shoes inaccessible to your puppy she will grow up with no interest in chewing shoes. Little slip ups can ruin this training. Playing with your shoes is very rewarding to your puppy. Don't let her self reward for bad behavior.

Raising a puppy is hard work, keep up the good work.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I lost a few slides (same material as a few of her balls/toys) and shoes but it was my own fault for leaving them where she could get them. They were always put in the closet or up on the shelf for the backyard pairs so she can’t get them. Same as anything else that I didn’t want her chewing especially during land shark phases.

now that she’s older, I’ve relaxed and if there’s shoes in the entrance or outside she leaves them be and won’t touch them. It’s hard work but so worth it!

·
Premium Member
23,386 Posts
Land shark phase makes people want to remove their teeth with pliers!!! JUST KIDDING FOLKS. Do not try this at home as advised regarding many stupid ideas suggested on TV and the internet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts