Poodle Forum banner

Starting to try grooming.., anyone use these clippers?

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  townferret 
#1 · (Edited)
The costs of starting to do this are rising rapidly, so before I go all out and buy a great clipper I’d like to get one to learn with.

I am looking at the Andis Pro-Animal Clippers . I am so not interested in the plastic combs it comes with, but will be buying blades for it.

Have you or someone you know used these? Would it be a good starter clipper? If I buy it on Chewy and it just doesn’t do what I need, I can easily return it and get a refund.

Do you have any suggestions for a clipper in that price range... or even a bit more? I wouldn’t mind buying used clippers either. Looking forward to your advice and suggestions!

#2 ·
I had a tpoo who lived 19 years and she never went to a professional groomer. I borrowed a book from the library and bought cheap human hair clippers from a Target like store that no longer exists. The identical clipper was also packaged and sold “for pets” cost 10$ more. Every thing was identical from the model number, the plastic guides, cheap scissors and comb.

My tpoo had a typical soft coat for a toy, not the thick gorgeous coat of my minipoo. I had no problems with the cheap human hair clipper. The clipper broke after about 17 years so I bought another one.

This kind of clipper wouldn’t work well on my minipoo, but she has an exceptional coat and was originally held back for conformation. Most poodles don’t have her heavy coat.

If Zekefur doesn't have that thick heavy coat and you can easily switch blades then I would do it. Perhaps you could find the same clipper cheaper if it doesn’t have those plastic guides. I found those plastic guides don’t work well. The metal guides are better and can be bought separately but changing blades is the best solution.

Reactions: jojogal001
#3 ·
I had a tpoo who lived 19 years and she never went to a professional groomer. I borrowed a book from the library and bought cheap human hair clippers from a Target like store that no longer exists. The identical clipper was also packaged and sold “for pets” cost 10$ more. Every thing was identical from the model number, the plastic guides, cheap scissors and comb.

My tpoo had a typical soft coat for a toy, not the thick gorgeous coat of my minipoo. I had no problems with the cheap human hair clipper. The clipper broke after about 17 years so I bought another one.

This kind of clipper wouldn’t work well on my minipoo, but she has an exceptional coat and was originally held back for conformation. Most poodles don’t have her heavy coat.

If Zekefur doesn't have that thick heavy coat and you can easily switch blades then I would do it. Perhaps you could find the same clipper cheaper if it doesn’t have those plastic guides. I found those plastic guides don’t work well. The metal guides are better and can be bought separately but changing blades is the best solution.
Zekefur doesn’t have a real thick coat unless it gets too long. Then it’s pretty dense. But he gets his body cut pretty short every time. I would be able to make sure it doesn’t start getting long. Stella has fairly dense fur, but it’s pretty fine and really soft. Again, I would do her more often than I’ve been taking her to the groomer. Oscar’s hair is a beautiful, little bit wavy, and super silky coat.

I’m hoping these will work well for me. I did try finding them without the pet designation, but I haven’t found it yet, but still looking. Great idea! Thank you for such a nice reply.

#8 ·
Sounds like a good recommendation to me. I have searched for so long, and as far as I can see this is definitely the best clipper for the money. Just hope I can do them justice;) .

Thank you so much for letting me know. I’m a little less anxious about it now.

#5 ·
The box states for medium or wire coated coats...if your poodle has a thick, curly coat you will not be happy.One thing I learned is that when you are starting out you need good tools to help you do well. Fighting an uphill battle with under powered equipment is so frustrating. Avoid clippers designated for pet use; you want professional use. You can get the Andis AGC, or the two speed for about 120 dollars, sometimes less if you find a good sale.

#9 ·
Im wondering if I posted the wrong link. There are 2 of these clippers. One is for what you said, and the other is for curly, heavy coats. The one I would be getting is the latter. Also many reviewers have used it on their poodles as well as many different small dogs, and really love it.

It means a lot to me that you read far enough in the description to see that. Let me see if I can get the right link:

Ok. The clipper I decided on is on amazon. Under From The Manufacturer it says for curly dogs like “... poodles, or...” so here is the link. I think I have it right but not sure. (I’ve looked at way too many for too long today!)

Andis Clippers on Amazon

#6 ·
For starting out on a wee one like your boy or mine, I say worth a try, just buy extra blades. I got a Peanut for pete's sake, and got by a bit while saving up for my Bravuras.

Matter of fact, as much as I love and depend on my stainless steel combs, the plastic ones that came with the Bravura weren't so bad after all.

Just stop when it's getting hot and change blades. Do NOT buy/use blade coolant spray. It's toxic to you and your dogs. Do stop and oil per manufacturer's directions, and wipe well to keep oil out of the coat. Use proper clipper oil. Even Sally's sells Wahl oil.

Practice ?. I think you'll do okay. Be sure the coat is well brushed and metal combed to the skin first.

You won't replicate what your groomer does, but keep trying. It's a journey I'm on, too, so - welcome

#7 ·
Practice... yes! I think back to when I had a toy poodle in the 80’s and 90’s. I had a friend with all the grooming equipment and decided to try it one day. Rikki was so darn patient and stood completely still. And I mean like a statue. Never moved a paw. I tortured that dog for 5 solid hours. When I was done I thought he looked pretty good. I asked my friend what she thought and she said, “May I make a small suggestion? Call your groomer in the morning and get the poor dog fixed.” Lol!

Im so afraid I’ll make my adorable and beautiful dogs look like,.. well you know the following word. It terrifies me! But I’ve decided I’m going to take days to do it instead of hours at once. Figure I’ll bathe and blow out. Next day FFT, and hopefully finish the following day.

Thank you for welcoming me to the world of grooming. I have watched videos on the forum and YouTube. I have read posts about how to do things and so on. I still feel uneducated about all of it... sigh. So I’ll ask my dumb questions and everybody can feel free to roll their eyes, make fun of me etc. Just wish me good luck!

#12 ·
I personally would go with the best clipper you can afford. I saw there was a Wahl Km2 for $100 on that link? Decent clippers are the cost of one or two grooms and should last many years. I've used a cheap set on my Spoo and they weren't worth owning, though they work well enough on the Yorkie. Not sure if there is a grooming specific store in the US? Mine are from Ren's in Canada, which often has package deals with extra blades, or combs, or blade cleaner, etc.

My first couple of grooms... weren't great. I also recommend doing grooming in stages if you can. I often wash the dog and dry one day, then groom body, then groom head/tail/pompoms (scissoring), then do face. Short sessions over 2-3 days are easier on both of us. If Annie's being wiggly, sometimes we stop halfway through and i have a VERY silly looking poodle for a day or two. It's no big deal. I had Annie's breeder show me how to do FFT, and then, after trying it a couple of tries, took her to a groomer who showed me again how to do it. There's art to the way good groomers hold the paws/face to keep them from squirming.

#15 · (Edited)
I went the lower cost option to start because, while I thought I might attempt doing full grooms one day, I wasn't committed just yet. Trying the lower cost option first, and for long enough to justify the cost to my budget, made sense for me.

If you're committed to doing the full grooming yourself regardless of some initial and possible amusing results, then I'd agree that spending the money one time, even if it is a higher starting investment, is the way to go, if you can.

The AGC2 is also a nice step up for the additional $40 ish, if you can swing that.

I've learned from DH and his hobby of working on unusual cars that the right tool for the job is the best investment.

Either way you approach this, buying from a source like Chewy or Amazon is a good move since their CS is darn good overall, if you need to make a change. It also helps that you can search online for 15% off coupons for Chewy at retailmenot, etc, and if there's one that works, that can take the price down. It looks like the same model on Amazon and on Chewy to me so either source should be a good choice. Eventually your starter clipper can become your back up clipper so it's still a reasonable way to go.

Some older threads on grooming supplies have also mentioned ebay as a source, used or new, so if you're ok with ebay, check there for pricing.

A lot of members have also separately purchased a mini version of the clippers for doing feet. I also ended up doing that.

I bought my primary clipper thru Chewy since that was my biggest investment and I wanted a company with customer service I could work with.

I bought my mini clipper thru ebay tho. Most folks are buying Wahl minis but those usually run more than the clippers I started with, so I kept looking. It turns out that Andis also has a mini version which sells for $50 +/- on theirs and other sites. For that one I went to ebay and took a chance buying a new one for $16.00 and it was new and works very nicely on the feet and other small bits.

The same Mini Trimmer At PetSmart
Andis® ProClip Ion Pet Hair Trimmer
by Andis
Item #5250652
Discounted Price$28.99Old Price$59.99

I'm remembering that you're thinking of setting up your grooming station in a living area. I'm sure you've thought of this but the trainer in me asks anyway if there's an outlet handy for the corded clippers?

I thought of something else. If you end up going with a 2 different manufacturer strategy, make sure the blades you want will be interchangeable. They should be with detachable blade clippers, but maybe not on the 5 in 1 designs.

#16 ·
I went the lower cost option to start because, while I thought I might attempt doing full grooms one day, I wasn't committed just yet. Trying the lower cost option first, and for long enough to justify the cost to my budget, made sense for me.

If you're committed to doing the full grooming yourself regardless of some initial and possible amusing results, then I'd agree that spending the money one time, even if it is a higher starting investment, is the way to go, if you can.

The AGC2 is also a nice step up for the additional $40 ish, if you can swing that.

I've learned from DH and his hobby of working on unusual cars that the right tool for the job is the best investment.

Either way you approach this, buying from a source like Chewy or Amazon is a good move since their CS is darn good overall, if you need to make a change. It also helps that you can search online for 15% off coupons for Chewy at retailmenot, etc, and if there's one that works, that can take the price down. It looks like the same model on Amazon and on Chewy to me so either source should be a good choice. Eventually your starter clipper can become your back up clipper so it's still a reasonable way to go.

Some older threads on grooming supplies have also mentioned ebay as a source, used or new, so if you're ok with ebay, check there for pricing.

A lot of members have also separately purchased a mini version of the clippers for doing feet. I also ended up doing that.

I bought my primary clipper thru Chewy since that was my biggest investment and I wanted a company with customer service I could work with.

I bought my mini clipper thru ebay tho. Most folks are buying Wahl minis but those usually run more than the clippers I started with, so I kept looking. It turns out that Andis also has a mini version which sells for $50 +/- on theirs and other sites. For that one I went to ebay and took a chance buying a new one for $16.00 and it was new and works very nicely on the feet and other small bits.

The same Mini Trimmer At PetSmart
Andis® ProClip Ion Pet Hair Trimmer
by Andis
Item #5250652
Discounted Price$28.99Old Price$59.99
View attachment 464600

I'm remembering that you're thinking of setting up your grooming station in a living area. I'm sure you've thought of this but the trainer in me asks anyway if there's an outlet handy for the corded clippers?

I thought of something else. I think I know that Wahl and Oster blades are interchangeable, but that Andis uses a different design and may not be. Check on that before you decide on using a 2 different manufacturer strategy.
I am not fully committed either. I don’t know if I’ll be able to handle keeping up with three dogs. Thus not wanting to spend more money on clippers just yet.

I did look thoroughly on eBay last night and found a couple good deals on used AGC’s. One o, the electric cord had been cut through and I don’t know how to replace that. The other looked pretty good though. My biggest problem is that it can be louder than others and blades get too hot very quickly. These were mentioned in so many reviews I read elsewhere about the clippers.

The Andis clippers I’m looking at can use three different blades, one of which is the Oster A5. I think another one is UltraEdge, which amazon has plenty of. I don’t remember the third.

And yes, there is an outlet right where I’ll be doing the grooming, and that was a great point to bring up. I know many of us would not of that until it was too late.

And I want to thank everyone who’s replied and given me a great many things to think about. I’ll be ordering clippers in about 3 weeks so still have a lot of thinking to do, searching and reading reviews, and asking advice here. All the information that’s been provided here is really so helpful as I had no clue as to what to look for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.