Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! My name is Gina. My family has been searching for miniature breeders for some time now but we’re not having the easiest time! We are first time poodle owners after doing months worth of breed research and seeing some in person. We love their intelligent little eyes and the miniature size is ideal. We live in PA but we would be willing to travel any distance if it was necessary. Of course, we want to stay near us if at all possible! I know to look for health clearances and I routinely search for testimonials off-site before committing to any breeders (I have cats so I am familiar with the process), but I’ve been having a harder time finding miniatures at all! I find a lot of standards and toys, some Moyen, but I am only looking for miniature. The few I’ve found haven’t responded to me, despite very detailed emails, so I assume they are filled up. Unfortunately, the pet stores near me are almost tempting me to make a bad choice, but I just can’t bring myself to support those places in any circumstance. I just found this forum and thought I’d ask the more experienced owners who they recommend!

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Hi Gina, welcome! I have no doubt our members will be able to connect you to a fabulous breeder since you want a black and are willing to travel. Johanna has a gorgeous black mini from Donnchada in Texas, and I believe that's where Puca Pu's new baby is from as well. I know many nice dogs from Clarion in California. I'll let others chime in :D

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Hello welcome. you may also want to look at a large toy sometimes they get much larger than expected. I personally would not limit myself to a color, rather the right dog, I have had 5 black, 2 red and one white. The reds and whites are eaier to see when grooming

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I have heard a lot about Clarion and I thought I had emailed them without a response, but I will send another just in case! I’ll drop a line to Donnchada, too!

I may consider another color, but black really sings to me so that’s what I’ll be prioritizing. Though, a pretty apricot, rich brown, or white isn’t out of the question. If I had a choice between the perfect apricot pup and a black that wasn’t such a good fit, I would pick the apricot, of course, so color isn’t set completely in stone. As far as a large toy, I have a special needs toddler so I’m not sure if it’s a good risk to take. I might prefer a slightly oversized mini, though a breeder who typically stays within standard would be something worth waiting for. How large can a large toy get, anyway?

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I think an oversize mini is a much better choice than a toy for your family situation. I would recommend calling these breeders as well so they know you are serious.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s a good idea. I can see that making a big difference, time to get over my phone anxiety haha. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Thanks! I have heard a lot about Clarion and I thought I had emailed them without a response, but I will send another just in case! I’ll drop a line to Donnchada, too!

I may consider another color, but black really sings to me so that’s what I’ll be prioritizing. Though, a pretty apricot, rich brown, or white isn’t out of the question. If I had a choice between the perfect apricot pup and a black that wasn’t such a good fit, I would pick the apricot, of course, so color isn’t set completely in stone. As far as a large toy, I have a special needs toddler so I’m not sure if it’s a good risk to take. I might prefer a slightly oversized mini, though a breeder who typically stays within standard would be something worth waiting for. How large can a large toy get, anyway?
A large toy will be over 10 inches, and depending on bone structure, might weigh around 8-10 pounds I suppose.

I have 2 oversized toys. One would definitely not be a good match for a toddler. The other one, Beckie, would have been if she had been raised with a baby. She is fearless and loves to play.

·
Registered
248 Posts
On my shortlist was Eclipse poodles our of MA but I wanted white and i believe they breed black so I did not conduct a ton of research but they have been mentioned here before. I love her FB page with the videos of the puppies they are darling.

We are picking up our cream mini tomorrow from Songbird in CT, her litter mates were black and white. I’ve heard nice things about her dogs and she is a responsible breeder and very nice.

Good luck in your search I’m aorry i don’t know anyone closer to PA!

·
Premium Member
22,869 Posts
I also think a mini is a better choice with young humans. Songbird in CT is great. Also look at Eriand on Long Island. My mom has an Eriand mpoo.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Look into Aery. Skylar's slightly over-size Miniature is from them. Richard Bohannon I believe is the breeder's name. Exceedingly reputable. Aery Miniature Poodles

Pet stores will not have puppies they support through the dog's life, nor are they liable to have healthy puppies with conformation needed for a long, enjoyable life. Nor will they have anyone qualified to match your family with its special requirements with a puppy. The right temperament is going to be a huge consideration with a toddler, and volume bred puppies won't have the background or husbandry required to ensure a solid mental state.

Right now show season is still going on, so breeders will be really busy. Just leave a short voicemail introducing yourself, mention you've done a lot of research, and ask them to ring you back when they have a few moments.

You could also go to some dog shows and watch Poodles. Be sure to buy the catalogue, which will have the names of the dogs and breeders. infodog.com is where to find out what shows are happening when.

Best of luck, and keep us in the loop :).

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Two of us have miniatures from Richard Bohannon's Aery line of miniatures. I'm not surprised you are having difficulty finding a miniature - there are far fewer miniatures than toys or standards - don't know why that is, but it's been true for years. Maybe it's the American tendency toward extremes!

I suggest you start by contacting the poodle clubs in Pennsylvania:

- Greater Pittsburgh Poodle Club (go to their page on Facebook)
- Poodle Club of the Lehigh Valley - website is poodleclubofthelehighvalley.com

- William Penn Poodle Club - website is williampennpoodleclub.com

Hope you find just their right minipoo.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
I had a hard time finding a minipoo and an even worse time getting breeders to respond to either email or phone. I also never heard back from the poodle club - but I think someone locally has updated contact information - hopefully it works for you. I know you will find one with help from PF.

If you don't mind traveling to North Carolina, I highly recommend Aery. DH and I flew down to NC then rented a car to drive our minipoo home. We did consider flying home again. We did it all in one very long day.

My minipoo Babykins was bred Richard Bohannon of Aery Poodle in NC and Dr. Sharon Skrobarcek of Morning Glory poodles in Texas. Babykins is a beautiful poodle - gorgeous coat, wonderful sweet and friendly personality. She loves to run but she has an off switch so those days when the weather is miserable and we don't get out to do anything, she's happy snoozing on the couch. She's also related to Johanna's gorgeous Zoe, as Johanna mentioned above. Johanna is showing Zoe in conformation. My Babykins was a puppy being prepared for conformation until they realized she was going to grow over the limit.

On Richard's website he mentioned he's breeding

"We are breeding one of our girls now. She's being bred to Ch. Aery Silde Paint It Black. Puppies will be Black and white/cream. The pups will be available to go to their new home mid November. If you are interested, please contact Richard: [email protected]"

I had contacted Songbird in CT but didn't hear back for several months - she only called me back when she had puppies. However I did recommend her to someone in my community who is not on PF. She got a beautiful black minipoo from Songbird and is very happy.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My inky black miniature poodle is from Black Pearl Poodles in San Francisco and I couldn’t be happier with her.
Mimi is not only lovely but also sweet, smart & energetic all at the same time.
Lina, the breeder, is very responsive and I’m sure she will return your call or email promptly. I think her upcoming litter might be chocolate brown but her specialty is black miniatures with great temperaments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
I had a hard time finding a minipoo and an even worse time getting breeders to respond to either email or phone. I also never heard back from the poodle club - but I think someone locally has updated contact information - hopefully it works for you. I know you will find one with help from PF.

If you don't mind traveling to North Carolina, I highly recommend Aery. DH and I flew down to NC then rented a car to drive our minipoo home. We did consider flying home again. We did it all in one very long day.

My minipoo Babykins was bred Richard Bohannon of Aery Poodle in NC and Dr. Sharon Skrobarcek of Morning Glory poodles in Texas. Babykins is a beautiful poodle - gorgeous coat, wonderful sweet and friendly personality. She loves to run but she has an off switch so those days when the weather is miserable and we don't get out to do anything, she's happy snoozing on the couch. She's also related to Johanna's gorgeous Zoe, as Johanna mentioned above. Johanna is showing Zoe in conformation. My Babykins was a puppy being prepared for conformation until they realized she was going to grow over the limit.

On Richard's website he mentioned he's breeding

"We are breeding one of our girls now. She's being bred to Ch. Aery Silde Paint It Black. Puppies will be Black and white/cream. The pups will be available to go to their new home mid November. If you are interested, please contact Richard: [email protected]"

I had contacted Songbird in CT but didn't hear back for several months - she only called me back when she had puppies. However I did recommend her to someone in my community who is not on PF. She got a beautiful black minipoo from Songbird and is very happy.

I know this I an oldish post - but I was on the way to pick up my Songbird girl the day this was posted! My pup is cream but her brothers were black (except one who was cream too). Pixie's dad Slick is one of her champion poodles - they are beautiful and my son wanted to bring a black one home instead but I'd reserved a white/cream ;)

Nancy did the same to me, she doesn't contact you outside of initial contact until the bitch you'd be getting a puppy from is confirmed pregnant depending on where you are in line...then she invites you to meet her (or have a longer phone conversation - I drove to CT).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts