Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Springtime is quickly becoming my favorite! I am completely obsessed with starting the various aspects of landscaping our yard. It's been killing me the past few months since we've moved in to wait for spring when we can begin working on the yard.
It's a little overwhelming because of the many different little projects I've set myself the main ones being creating small habitat gardens while still being mindful of plant toxicity for anything being planted where the dogs will have access. I'm really enjoying it though!

Anyway, I thought I would share some of what we have planted in the last two weeks and is in bloom or starting to grow nicely.

One of our Joseph's coat climbing roses starting to bud

A red fushia plant in a hanging basket that is waiting for a perm. home somewhere in the garden

Close up of the cool flowers that it produces

My old fashion bleeding heart(pink) that was planted two weeks ago

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

My white bleeding heart plant that was planted the same time as the pink one. It's much larger though, we bought it as the nursery while the pink one came from the feed store.

One of the hosta's I planted in what is hopfuly going to be our woodland/shade garden.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Wheres the veggies?! LOL, you mean a plant/flower garden!
You're fuchsia plant is my favorite, beautiful flowers it produces!

I love plants and flowers but you'd never think it because of my
age.

This is what all we have....gosh...

Heart Leaf Philodendron
Silver Queen
English Ivy (EVERYWHERE)
Pink Flowering hedge (don't know what kind!)
Green hedges
Camelia Tree
Spider lillies
Daffodils
Irises
Red Rose bush
Pink Rose Bush
Prickly pear cactus
...and I'm probably leaving a lot out!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I wish I knew how to do all that. My goal is when the kids get a little older, I'll learn...right now though with a almost 4 year old and 6 year old, it just isn't happening.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MM, are you calling me old because I like plants?? Hummmm ?:p LoL
I DID plant a veggie garden but it hasn't taken off yet, though looking at it today through a little break in the rain I noticed that we have little sprouts popping up. I also planted two tomatos, banana peppers, a hot pepper, Zuccini (how do you spell that?), yellow squash, and seeded beans, lettuce, and ummmm shoot now I can't remember whats in the third row... Opps LoL
I want to start an herb garden seperate from the veggies one because I'm pretty much out of room in the veg. garden. I have pineapple sage, thia basil, parsley, sweet basil, rosemary and such.... I also have a little mint garden in the works just for mint. Right now we only have two types of mint, peppermint and chocolate mint - which is my FAVORITE!

·
Registered
912 Posts
What beautiful plants WP. I love plants but unfortunately they don't seem to love me, I have a brown thumb! My OH is working away and he made me promise faithfully to water all the plants and not let any die while he is away - it's a big ask :smile:.

We're hoping to start our backyard in a few weeks time when we both have holidays, so hopefully I'll have some new plantings to add to this thread then. Ours will be mostly stones/rocks, a bit of grass for the dogs and some gardens with structural, hardy type plants as we're on the edge of the desert with very little rainfall.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Nice! Those flowers are amazing.

We have a veggie garden going, I can't take credit for it... although if I don't make the raised garden beds there will be no room to transplant and continue their growth.. EEK!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice! Those flowers are amazing.

We have a veggie garden going, I can't take credit for it... although if I don't make the raised garden beds there will be no room to transplant and continue their growth.. EEK!
LoL, Todd my hubby is in the same boat. We have a bunch of stuff waiting to go into raised beds that somehow have't appeared....

Hubby went to visit his parents yesterday and brought home a bunch of plants that I don't really know what to do with. His mother is Thai and she pretty much eats everything she grows... so her garden is amazing. I need to go pick a lemon and photo it next to a grapefruit and let you guys see. I dunno what she uses for fertilizer but DANG. The last lemon I got from her was BIGGER than a grapefruit!

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
LoL, Todd my hubby is in the same boat. We have a bunch of stuff waiting to go into raised beds that somehow have't appeared....

Hubby went to visit his parents yesterday and brought home a bunch of plants that I don't really know what to do with. His mother is Thai and she pretty much eats everything she grows... so her garden is amazing. I need to go pick a lemon and photo it next to a grapefruit and let you guys see. I dunno what she uses for fertilizer but DANG. The last lemon I got from her was BIGGER than a grapefruit!

WOW that is a HUGE lemon.
I want to get some trees but I don't know if we can grow them up here where it gets so cold in winter. I think maybe an apple tree would grow, not to sure about other fruit or citrus... I`ll have to look into it.

We also need 8' fences around it due to animals getting in so it ends up costing a few hundred $$ just to get going. One-time fee though, after that not so much $ :)

Looking forward to fresh fruit and veggies!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
My exotic or hybridized hibiscus That I will be getting back into. I am going to grow these under T5 lights.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I bought and grew all of these plants for this LMAO

I tried taking nice pictures of these guys but they are so nosy they kept looking at my camera lol I had so many come to my garden during the day and all where looking at me and not acting natural.

Here are the two new plants I should be getting on friday I am going to put them in my office until the sun hits my balcony a little bit more, and for my light fixture to come.

http://www.hiddenvalleynaturearts.com/acatalog/gatorprideinfo.html

http://www.hiddenvalleynaturearts.com/acatalog/voodoomagicinfo.html

I am going to try to get these two cultivars next

http://www.fancyhibiscus.com/allaglow.html

I bought so many hibiscus hybridized crosses so I hope I van get them to grow , I hope I get a winner out of the 40 seeds I bought.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been thinking of putting a hibiscus next to the pond... there is actual one that I've read is native to florida (I was on a native plant kick that evening) called the mallow hibiscus?? They are supposed to attract humming birds too.

LoL, I can understand the humming bird thing, our whole landscaping plan is centered around florida friendly and habitat gardening.... and it all started by wanting to attract a few hummers LOL.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I've been thinking of putting a hibiscus next to the pond... there is actual one that I've read is native to florida (I was on a native plant kick that evening) called the mallow hibiscus?? They are supposed to attract humming birds too.

LoL, I can understand the humming bird thing, our whole landscaping plan is centered around florida friendly and habitat gardening.... and it all started by wanting to attract a few hummers LOL.
Yeah hummers are so cute and smart , I had a rare hummer visit my garden but of course the camera was in the house lol.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is the picture that did not show up lol

Oh I love that, so pretty. I'm a little overwhelmed beccause I want so many different kinds of plants but of course have a limited amout of space. I only have so many full sun areas and so many part sun or shade areas... LoL.

Wish my yard was larger!!!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Oh I love that, so pretty. I'm a little overwhelmed beccause I want so many different kinds of plants but of course have a limited amout of space. I only have so many full sun areas and so many part sun or shade areas... LoL.

Wish my yard was larger!!!
Yeah I just love how these hybridnized hibiscus can come in so many colors, the draw back on them is they need special care.

Well I have no yard and no light coming in my apartment lol , I am going to have to buy this soon for winter months. I only get light on balcony (mid spring-fall)

The light fixture

http://sunlightsupply.com/hort/products.aspx?request=NEW_WAVE_T5&title=Fluorescent Lighting&type=product

1 - 20 of 22 Posts