Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am absolutely thrilled with how Mia's responding to Gabapentin! She's acting 2 years younger: she's racing around the trails again, chasing everything that moves (sigh), and smiling with delight. Our mileage is back up to 6+ miles per day (we had been down to 3-4 miles/day), and she seems happier and more relaxed at home and in the woods.

The vet noticed crepitus in her rear left knee, which come to think of it, he had commented on this before. So she has some OA. She turns 10 in a few weeks, and I'm just astounded at what a difference this is making.

She's on a low dose, 100 mgs, and while the prescription is as needed, I'm beginning to think she may need it every day (since we are in the woods every day or nearly so). I'll keep experimenting, but I just wanted to share in case it's helpful to others with senior dogs.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Wonderful news! :) My poodle mix was on gabapentin when recovering from a ligament injury last year, and it made a difference for him.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
I take Gabapentin myself. Neat to hear that it works well in dogs too.

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Very good news - I hope she has many more happy years chasing things along the trails!

Reactions: Fenris-wolf and Liz

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks to everyone for understanding the joy of seeing your 10 year old ever-puppy reinvigorated. It's so hard to tell as they age what is normal slowing, what is a symptom, and what, if anything, can be done. It's a relief to have gotten one right.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thanks to everyone for understanding the joy of seeing your 10 year old ever-puppy reinvigorated. It's so hard to tell as they age what is normal slowing, what is a symptom, and what, if anything, can be done. It's a relief to have gotten one right.
I usually peruse the forums every so often and I read through this again. It made me smile because you have been very helpful and caring with my questions And my girls are the better for it. So it’s so good to see you having success with Mia

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, jcris, that's so sweet of you to say. I'm so grateful to this community and all the help it's given me, and I'm chuffed to bits that I have contributed something useful in return. Mia's still doing very well on the Gaba. The temps have cooled off significantly here, and she bebops down the trails as if powered by her wagging tail. Today on our drive home, I caught a glimpse of her lying in the backseat, gazing at me with a relaxed smile spread across her face. Oh, how I adore her!

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
An update... We're on to our next phase in pain management. Mia is now taking Rimadyl/Carprofen as needed. She had several overuse injuries in the past few months that resulted in sore days spent on the dog bed, so at her annual appointment this week, I asked for a prescription. Our vet is wonderful. He is a little older than me, still trail and ultrarunning, and has a bevy of animals at home to illustrate his points. He gave us a bottle of 100 mgs tabs with instructions to give small doses as needed before more strenuous exercise, and most importantly, to keep my 10 year old girl moving!

We put it to the test today. We met up with our friends Steve (human) and Eddie (2.5 year old spoo) for a moderate 2.75 mile hike, a little farther and a little more challenging than our usual trail. Mia took it carefully for the first half mile or so, and then something seemed to kick in for her - and off she went! Up and down the trail, sprinting, jumping, climbing, rough-housing with Eddie. Eddie still ran circles around her, but she ran circles around us, which she hasn't done for a while.

I often talk about a distance multiplier when walking dogs off leash, meaning if the humans (who pretty much stick to the trail) covered 2.75 miles, then Eddie - with all his whirling dervish energy - probably covered around 2.5-3 times that distance, and Mia probably covered about 1.5-2 times that distance. There is also an exertion multiplier: the humans took it pretty slow, Eddie traveled in sprints and stops (forward, backward, left and right), and Mia did a fair bit of sprinting and waiting for us to catch up before taking off again, too. Mia's napping at the moment, but I didn't see signs of pain or stiffness when she was searching for hidden treats a few minutes ago.

At our appointment, the vet also noted that Mia's knees haven't changed from last year, but she has lost range of motion in her hips. I don't know if exercise will help her get that back, but it will at least preserve what she has. I also made an appointment with her chiropractor, who has been booked 2 months in advance. I guess everyone decided that the pandemic was a good time to get their dogs ship-shape? We're long time clients, so she's going to see us at her house (outdoors, masked, etc.). Hopefully there's nothing more serious.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She's a lovely person, PTP, taking after her father who was also a veterinarian chiropractor. Also, it's quite a bit warmer down here than where you are, so if we're lucky, temps will be in the 60s (unlucky, 40s), plenty warm for a quick check up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts