Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back from the vet and 150.00 dollars later -

Winston has a staph infection and possible food allergies.

About a week (after his big boy miami hair cut) ago i noticed hard bumps on his face. Well earlier in the week i came home to blood on the walls and slashes on winston face (he was in his crate). Winston has been scratching his face "raw".

Took him to vet today, vet says he has a staph infection and possible food allergies. Vet is thinking the scabbing was already there prior to his big boy hair cut. So after he was shaved - his nails where able to scratch his skin even deeper.

Winston has a history of vomit and diarrhea. Vet wants me to trial science diet prescription food or hills diet. If not - she told me to try a dog food that has potato and fish etc.

i suspect chicken as allergy. I forgot to ask if food allergy testing could be done.

Whats a decent kibble?

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
If not - she told me to try a dog food that has potato and fish etc.

i suspect chicken as allergy. I forgot to ask if food allergy testing could be done.

Whats a decent kibble?
Lucybug is on D!ick Van Patten's Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato Limited Ingredient Diet (LID) formula and she's doing very well on it! We also suspected food sensitivities when her ears were always really "gunky" (that's the medical term, by the way!) After discussing foods with the owner of The Gourmet Doggie Diner (a specialty dog food store here in Bismarck) we suspected either chicken or grains...

Her ears are FABULOUS now, on the Natural Balance LID - they're clean not touchy for plucking anymore... Just to test the theory, we used small pieces of cooked chicken breast as training treats at obedience class one night a few weeks ago - her ears almost immediately got that waxy, greasy brown stuff in them! No more chicken for Lucy!!

Good luck finding a good food for Winston! In my opinion, I'd try one of the limited ingredient premium foods before using Science Diet (eewww!) :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Poor Winston. Have you thought of using raw? Unfortunately, as I'm in NZ I have no idea what a good kibble is over there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what his current food has in it. I'm gonna look into the California Dog kibble and Blue Basics

Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Ground Barley, Chicken Fat (Stabilized with Mixed Tocopherols), Lamb Meal, Chicken, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Oats, Flaxseed Meal, Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavors, Fish Oil (Natural source of DHA), Alfalfa Meal, Yeast Culture, Salt, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Blueberries, Cranberries, Dried Chicory Root, Raspberries, Turmeric, Niacin Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Selenium Yeast, Sodium Selenite, Rosemary Extract, Dried Yeast Fermentation Solubles.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I would like to hear more on this. My standard Ellie has been on hills dd dog duck and potatoe for 5 months now, and still has infected ears, and her coat is horrible. Long story, but all the antibiotics and steroids have taken a tole on her. Not sure if the food is doing her any good or not at this point. Wondering about going raw. Would rather not, but if it would help her...

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Here's the ingredient list and nutrition label for the Natural Balance:

Sweet Potatoes, Salmon, Salmon Meal, Canola Oil, Potato Fiber, Natural Flavor, Sodium Chloride, Salmon Oil (a source of DHA), Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Choline Chloride, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

Crude Protein 21.0% minimum
Crude Fat 10.0% minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% maximum
Moisture 10.0% maximum
Calcium 1.0% minimum
Phosphorus 0.9% minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.5% minimum
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) 0.01% minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 2.0% minimum

·
Registered
448 Posts
Whats a decent kibble?

Poor guy. I would stay clear of chicken too. There are plenty of kibbles you can find with Duck, Pheasant, Venison, Salmon or white fish... that would be a benefit.
I have a list on my website but there are more than just those.

Good luck,
Karen

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would like to hear more on this. My standard Ellie has been on hills dd dog duck and potatoe for 5 months now, and still has infected ears, and her coat is horrible. Long story, but all the antibiotics and steroids have taken a tole on her. Not sure if the food is doing her any good or not at this point. Wondering about going raw. Would rather not, but if it would help her...
Ellie needs to be detoxed... if she's been on a lot of antibiotics and steroids on top of it. That just lowers her immune system, when she needs to have it built up ... steroids, a quick fix that doesn't last long as it does not cure the problem.
I'd look into a different food too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My friends dog got food alergies and skin problems that where so bad the dog was almost put down. She had to fight the skin infections for months and she finally got it under control she now feeds raw to that one dog and she gives no treats with wheat or grains.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ellie needs to be detoxed... if she's been on a lot of antibiotics and steroids on top of it. That just lowers her immune system, when she needs to have it built up ... steroids, a quick fix that doesn't last long as it does not cure the problem.
I'd look into a different food too.
I totally agree! Milk Thistle will help to rid the body of all these toxins and get your girl back in shape, along with a good diet, she'll be back in shape in no time at all! Coconut oil added to the diet can also help dogs who suffer from allergies, infections, and skin issues. You can also use this topically, but don't apply it unless you are getting ready to bath, as it can be very greasy (but does wash of nicely).

·
Registered
225 Posts
My male Shih Tzu has skin allergies and my female has constant ear infections so I wanted a kibble that was grain and chicken free. We tried Wellness White Fish and Sweet Potato with out any success. Now we have Stella (10 week old Standard Poodle) and I wanted everyone on the same diet, if possible. After researching kibble and reading reviews & testimonials, for an entire week, I decided to go with Taste of The Wild Pacific Stream. It is a fish and salmon formula that is free of meats and by-products. We are a pescatarian family, which means we don't eat any meat or animal flesh, but do eat some small amounts of fish, so now our furbabies are basically on the same diet.

I just started the TOTW kibble this week so I am anxious to see the outcome. :cute:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Don't go with that food from the vets unless last resort. Many many good foods out there. I finally found one for Casey that he doesn't STINK like dirty smelly feet on.
Holistic blends from Fortinos He is on lamb and rice because my female has a major chicken allergy we thought. 2 months later she is still itching like crazy so since we no longer need an running air purifier in their room he was so smelly will keep him on that one and find something for Mandy.

Casey did great on the costco food no stomache issues just the smell

2 years later we are still playing the food game.

http://www.holisticblend.com/product_info.php?cPath=18_23&products_id=57

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Going Raw has helped Suri with her horrible stomach problems. I will never feed her kibble again. I used Blue, Blue Wilderness, Fromm, TOTW, Chicken Soup FTS and none of those controled her weekly runs and pukes. She is much better dog all around - and her teeth look better everyday.

At the same time none of these foods listed bothered the other 3 dogs, and I would use them again.:)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Our dogs do better on a fish and vegie without any grains than any other meat and vegie. We took them off anything with grain a year ago and just add organic flax seed. I don't know why fish works better for them than duck and sweet potato but it does.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
This is what his current food has in it. I'm gonna look into the California Dog kibble and Blue Basics

Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Ground Barley, Chicken Fat (Stabilized with Mixed Tocopherols), Lamb Meal, Chicken, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Oats, Flaxseed Meal, Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavors, Fish Oil (Natural source of DHA), Alfalfa Meal, Yeast Culture, Salt, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Blueberries, Cranberries, Dried Chicory Root, Raspberries, Turmeric, Niacin Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Selenium Yeast, Sodium Selenite, Rosemary Extract, Dried Yeast Fermentation Solubles.

Just curious, but what brand is this?

This is tricky because this food has two protein sources (lamb and chicken) and many different grains (barley, rice, oats, I wonder what alfalfa meal is?). He could be reacting to any of those ingredients, or maybe more than one.

If it were my dog, I'd skip the vet prescription food and try out a super premium brand that has one protein source (something that isn't chcken) and no grains. Also be careful with any treats... they often have ingredients you wouldn't think were in there.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Just curious, but what brand is this?

This is tricky because this food has two protein sources (lamb and chicken) and many different grains (barley, rice, oats, I wonder what alfalfa meal is?). He could be reacting to any of those ingredients, or maybe more than one.

If it were my dog, I'd skip the vet prescription food and try out a super premium brand that has one protein source (something that isn't chcken) and no grains. Also be careful with any treats... they often have ingredients you wouldn't think were in there.
Having dealt with 3 different sets of derm vets since November for my Ellie, I too questioned them about the food they wanted her on. I thought, there are other good grain free foods to choice from, why do I have to purchase a Hills product! She has been on Hill's Prescription Diet® d/d®. I spoke to all 3 different groups about this, and all responded
the same. They said that they only trusted this line of prescription food, because it is so tightly controlled, as in exact ingredients, no other foods are manufactured on that line, thus no contaminates when trying to figure out a dogs allergy issue which can be so difficult to diagnose.
Question for you all who feed raw. If a person can't go the chicken route, what would you suggest to start with for raw. Ellie is a fast eater, and would rather swallow than chew.
Great group by the way. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, sorry to hear your Poodle is ill. I've changed food a few time over the years of having a pet family. All my dogs loved Taste of the Wild, especailly the Salmon. Within the last few months I've learned about a new dog food and like the ingredients list. I can pronounce all the words, except for the last which is probably used as a preservative. The food is called Pairie by Nature's Variety. Here's the ingredients list for Prairie. Of course there are other flavors.

Chicken Meal & Brown Rice Medley
INGREDIENTS: Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Barley, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Montmorillonite Clay, Ground Flaxseeds, Natural Chicken Flavor, Alfalfa Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Potassium Chloride...
CALORIES: 391 per cup, PROTEIN: 26% (min), FAT: 14% (min)

I am a big fan of Raw, but can be pricey. For a 5# roll was around $12. My 70 dog ate one pound twice daily. I added a few extras like yam, egg, digestive enzimes, sometimes cut stingbeans, or carrot shreaded. The Raw Food brand I used is Bravo. Prairie sells raw also, but it's very expensive. I'm learning to take a more holistic approach to a dogs health.

I think a dogs diet has a lot to do with the health of a dog. I hope this helps you and hope your dog recovers soon. Oh, I'm not a big fan of Science Diet.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Hi, sorry to hear your Poodle is ill. I've changed food a few time over the years of having a pet family. All my dogs loved Taste of the Wild, especailly the Salmon. Within the last few months I've learned about a new dog food and like the ingrediance list. I can pronounce all the words, except for the last which is probably used as a preservative. The food is called Pairie by Nature's Variety. Here's the ingrediance list for Prairie. Of course there are other flavors.

Chicken Meal & Brown Rice Medley
INGREDIENTS: Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Barley, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Montmorillonite Clay, Ground Flaxseeds, Natural Chicken Flavor, Alfalfa Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Potassium Chloride...
CALORIES: 391 per cup, PROTEIN: 26% (min), FAT: 14% (min)

I am a big fan of Raw, but can be pricey. For a 5# roll was around $12. My 70 dog ate one pound twice daily. I added a few extras like yam, egg, digestive enzimes, sometimes cut stingbeans, or carrot shreaded. The Raw Food brand I used is Bravo. Prairie sells raw also, but it's very expensive. I'm learning to take a more holistic approach to a dogs health.

I think a dogs diet has a lot to do with the health of a dog. I hope this helps you and hope your dog recovers soon. Oh, I'm not a big fan of Science Diet.
She suspects a chicken allergy (which is what I believe MY dog has a sensitivity to as well) so this food wouldn't likely help her problems... I had considered raw at one point, but it sounds like the easiest, least expensive, least fuss way is to start with chicken parts - but that won't happen at our house! Lucy's doing very well on her Fish & Sweet Potato formula.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts