Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question.....(I am not being too sucessful with the search function!)

Are there differences between the standard and toys? Meaning traits or personality?

I have a toy and wonder about bringing a standard into our family. Are they as playful? More/less reserved? Cuddly?

For those that have experience with both, please compare them. Thanks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Wish I could help but I've really never been around a standard poodle in person.

From what I've read on here though there doesn't seem to be much difference. I could be wrong though since as I said, never seen a standard in person :lol::lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I love, love, LOVE my Millie! She is tiny and my other "child" is a big mutt-guy. I do love big dogs and am trying to figure out if it would be "Millie-in-a-bigger-package" kind of thing!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have had standards and miniatures and a different breed toy

The toy being a maltese which has a very different personality from a poodle.

I would think that the biggest issue would be the toy being hurt in play (they are more fragile) and the standard has a heck of a lot of power to its body.

Just try to stop two dogs from playing! It is really a challenge and nearly impossible.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
we have standards and minis - and when Teddy plays with "the girls" (minis) he is relentless teasing wanting them to chase him - when they do its a riot! he runs like crazy and comes back for more. its really funny. I would say my standards are more playful that my minis but I don't know about toys. One of our minis is only 9 lbs and tiny. but she can get that big guy going! He runs from her! lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Millie is a whopping 7 pounds and Jake is 73. They play pretty rough and when he actually "hurts" her, she lets him know! He is so submissive! You can almost picture him "crying"!!!! I will never forget this and if we had not seen it with our own eyes........would NEVER have believed it.

One day Millie, for whatever reason (we did not see what Jake did) flew at him, hit him, knocked him to the ground and pinned him while she bit his lip (her favorite spot to attack).

About the only "painful" thing Jake does is step on your feet (that's when Millie lets him have it).

I always keep an eye on them when playing (mostly to protect Jake!) but Millie DOES love to play rough!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hi LindaR, We have both toys and standards. We have 2 toys and 2 standards. Our first was a toy female 1 yr. at the time we brought her home. About a year later we added a standard female, 11 mo. at the time. No probem with them getting along with each other. Our 3rd poodle was a toy pup female that we kept from a litter we had from our first toy, so she's been with us since birth. When this litter of pups were still quite young we got our 4th poodle, a male standard, who was 10 mo. at the time. All of our dogs think of the youngest toy, thats been here since birth as their own baby. They all watch over it, making sure it is ok if it makes any sort of sound that sounds a little off to them, and boy does that little devil take advantage of it. She is the smallest of them all, but thinks that she is the toughest. She picks on all the rest, in a playful way, just to get them to play with her,, chase her, play ball and etc. but if she thinks that things might be getting a little to rough, she gets yippy, and all the others run to see if she is okay. Our standard male "Rocky", is the largest of all 4 poodles, and is a bigger mama to the little toy then her own mama is. Rocky is like a gentle giant, when it comes to that puppy. He can be a real clutz around us at times, but not with his baby. They all get along just fine with each other. They all have their own personalities, they are alot alike, but yet different. If the standards were as fiesty as the toys, they would probably be dangerous, but they seem to know that they cannot do or should not do some of the things that the smaller ones do w/o hurting someone or something. The standards seem to know to be gentler with the toys, but know that they can rough it up with each other. I think that the cuddiness or non cuddle type is just the dog itself, not the size of dog, some like to cuddle, others don't. I think poodles are extremely smart and I love them to pieces.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I think it all depends on the dog you get's personality - my friend owns a very serious standard (even thou most people say they are not)... she liked to play and was very social, but was not nearly as goofy as our toy... she is a clown on four feet!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Standards vs Toys? Let me see, I have toys and my friend has standards and 1 toy, we both agree when it comes to the personalities, you have to look at the dog not the variety. What spacificly are you wanting to know about each variety? Good with kids, high energy, overall maintainance ect? I think that would help with the answer to this question?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, I am just wanting another big dog! I had a very large german shepherd girl and now have Jake (my mixed breed) and since he is a senior and really slowed down ALOT, I know that he will not be around forever and most likely will cross the bridge before Millie.

I am considering a Dobe or another GSD, but lean towards a standard Poodle!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had 3 standard poodles who were all pretty easy going. My toy though, and I had a toy mini cross, had little dog syndrome, and both were raised the same way, with whippets and springers.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I think standards and toys BOTH make great pet, it really depends on your lifestyle I think. If you are very active and would like to include your furbaby in your activities, I would say a standard as they have better stamina to keep up, if you are looking for a lap dog/companion I would say that a toy would be perfect. If you have small children and are not used to having a tiny dog I would get wither an "over sized" toy or a mini, they would be sturdier then a toy that is 4-5 lbs and only about 9 in tall. My toy Tynk LOVES to play fetch, but can only hold the game up for about 10 min, my standard though goodness she could play all day! If a standard "normal sized" is bigger then what you are looking for, the "Moyan" I know it is not a variety but that is what they call the over sized mini/small standards around here that would probably be your best bet. They are energetic, athletic, lovable, smaller then a typical standard, but sturdier then a typical mini. I have had all 3 in the past and Gracie my "moyan" was wonderful, but I loved my standard and still love my toys LOL!!!! I would say, find the variety that best suits your lifestyle, find a breeder, make sure if possible to MEET both sire and dam see what they are like pups tend to have their parents traits at adulthood so you will be able to get a pretty good idea of what the pup will not only look like but act like as well then choose your pup! LOL I hope that helped...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The biggest difference is toys are yapping little buggers. Most are a big dog in a small body unless they have a timid nature. The are also couch potatoes and love to be lap dogs. Having said that, I have had a standard that loved laps too.

Toys are trainable but its so much easier to train the standard. Agree with someone else here, get a mini. They are very clever, not quite yappy unless there is a stranger come to the door but they shut up when told.

Ive had all 3 sizes

·
Registered
210 Posts
Oh, I am just wanting another big dog! I had a very large german shepherd girl and now have Jake (my mixed breed) and since he is a senior and really slowed down ALOT, I know that he will not be around forever and most likely will cross the bridge before Millie.

I am considering a Dobe or another GSD, but lean towards a standard Poodle!
I'm doing exactly the sme thing. i decided to get a standard because we are familiar with poodles. My husband has only had poodles (wouldn't think it to look at him LOL) and expects all dogs to be a smart and trainable like poodles.

Anyhoo, I get my standard in 3 weeks...I found a book at the library, it's in a series of different breeds. And it has some charts that show the differences of each toy mini standard. There are really close not to much difference in any of them, the major thing was the barking in the toy. Toy breeds are also expected to live longer. The standard rated better over all with kids. Of couse it mentions that this is over all and there are exceptions to the rule. hth
Jen

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm getting a male. We have a male toy now and my husband had a male mini before. This is his 5 week pic and first haircut. We've only had white or cream before so black will be a change.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm doing exactly the sme thing. i decided to get a standard because we are familiar with poodles. My husband has only had poodles (wouldn't think it to look at him LOL) and expects all dogs to be a smart and trainable like poodles.

Anyhoo, I get my standard in 3 weeks...I found a book at the library, it's in a series of different breeds. And it has some charts that show the differences of each toy mini standard. There are really close not to much difference in any of them, the major thing was the barking in the toy. Toy breeds are also expected to live longer. The standard rated better over all with kids. Of couse it mentions that this is over all and there are exceptions to the rule. hth
Jen
Just reread this LOL! Lots of typos sry! I'm pretty sick right now...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How cute!!!

I know this doesn't REALLY matter.......but Lord, I hope I can get a black poodle when the time comes!!!

Millie is white.............well she is SUPPOSED to be! I have to keep her on a leash all the time outside cause she finds THE grossest stuff to grind and roll in AND she sleeps on my bed and I just have issues with seeing a brown neck/chin and ignoring it and letting her on the bed. If I get a black.......then I won't always SEE the dirt!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts