Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m wondering if anyone can share their thoughts about standards and kids living under the same roof? I have a busy and at times verging on rowdy household with kids ranging in age from 2.5-12 and am hoping this could potentially work just fine? I really want to get one as a puppy (9 or 10 weeks old) rather than an older dog.thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
You will have your hands VERY full, but standards are wonderful with children--must be among the most child-loving of all breeds in my experience. I had a home-based nursery school with children ages 2-5 years and the poodles were so good with them. Only issues I had were poodles taking food or items out of the children's hands and giving them too many kisses (really, Maizie was guilty on both of those accounts)!

I set firm rules for interactions with the dogs and supervised everyone the entire time. Some of our rules included:

1. No touching a dog when he or she is eating, chewing a bone, playing with a toy, or sleeping, and do not take anything away from him/her. Playing fetch was allowed with direct supervision.
2. No picking up the dog (only an issue with my Maltese, but could be an issue with a baby puppy).
3. Touch dogs with gentle hands.
4. No sharing food with the dog without my permission.

The children enjoyed helping me feed, brush, and walk the dogs. It was a fun time :)

I would recommend working with a breeder who will match you to a puppy with an easygoing, resilient temperament.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,899 Posts
Yes, your plate will be full, but as long as you have clear criteria for all parties and enlist your human kids in training the puppy it sounds like a win to me.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I am quit sure a standard would be fine with kids. Mine does not really like kids very much, he does not like their quick movements but that would also be for adults moving toward him. He is still young at 9 months so we are working on it b ut I don't have any young children so. You will be a very very busy mom, puppies take a lot of work and training. We are still in the training stage, though now he is housebroken, walks well on leash and does basic commands. He just isn't trustworthy and would eat the house or anything left behind. He is also unpredictable at times.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts