Poodle Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
If I got a second dog, it would likely be a mini. My 50lb spoo unexpectedly grew up with my mom's 11 lb Yorkie. My mom's 11 lb Yorkie lived with my dad's 185 lb St. Bernard as a baby. Depending on the personality of the dogs involved, it can work. I would much rather a mature large (3+) dog with a foolish small breed puppy than what I did, a spoo with a Yorkie. But we made it work. As Johanna said, lots of verbal correction, and redirections. They adore each other. The Yorkie also grew up with an aunt's lab.... We don't, however, let the Yorkie play with large dogs we do t know well.

I am always very impressed by how dogs modulate their strength. The St. Bernard and Yorkie used to play tug.... The Saint stood still, or gently raised a toy in the air as the Yorkie pulled and thrashed for all her might. My spoo isn't quite as polite, but also will modulate her strength for games of tug or batting with her feet.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.