Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How tall is your standard Poodle?

I'm seeing varying heights..

21"-22" 50-60 pounds is the largest dog I'd be happy with owning, Anything above 19" and Under 50 is my ideal.

How do I find a poodle that IS the height I like? Google says 18-24 inches.. 24 is wayy too much, thats where I'd like a dogs head to be..

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Annie is 55 lbs and about 24-25". They are leggy beasts! There was a huge range of size in her litter 40-80 lbs by 1 year. Her breeder likes larger dogs though, I know some favour dogs on the shorter end.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Show poodles tend to be on the smaller side, your desired size. It shouldn't be a problem if you go with a breeder with a conformation background or even a sport breeder who has occasionally shown in conformation.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok ok- 80 pounds sounds like WAY too much dog for my small little self...

How tall do show line poodles typically stand?

·
Registered
483 Posts
How tall is your standard Poodle?

I'm seeing varying heights..

21"-22" 50-60 pounds is the largest dog I'd be happy with owning, Anything above 19" and Under 50 is my ideal.

How do I find a poodle that IS the height I like? Google says 18-24 inches.. 24 is wayy too much, thats where I'd like a dogs head to be..
Hi, our Charlie is about 29 inches tall at the shoulder and weighs around 85 pounds, all of it rock hard muscle because I hike/snowshoe in the mountains a couple of hours each day. He's been looked at by a couple of professional dog show handlers, who were very impressed with his conformation and gait. We aren't interested in shows, these were people we encountered in Arizona who had just finished working a big show there. They said he is a really large Standard.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I'm 5 ft 6 and Meisha can put her paws on my shoulders and look me in the eye. But she only weighs 50 lbs. She is all legs.:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 5 month old puppy is 21 inches. He had just gained another 5 lbs at his checkup earlier this week so it seems like he is still growing.

One thing that stuck out to me when I was looking into spoo's was that there seems to be a big gender gap in average sizes (compared to other larger dog breeds I'm familiar with).
Obviously, there are exceptions, but maybe getting a female dog from a breeder with smaller parents would be a good strategy?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah,

Seems Like I'll have to go bitch over dog this go, even though I prefer males.

·
Premium Member
23,572 Posts
Breeders who show in conformation do tend to produce non-gigantic bitches and dogs. I suspect of course that if there were an upper limit on height in the breed standard things would change in a hurry. My two spoos are to my way of thinking nicely in size. Lily is 22 3/4" and about 37 pounds. Javelin is 24" at the withers and about 52 pounds. There definitely is sexual dimorphism in this breed.

Reactions: Ava.

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
My boy Galen at 9 months is currently around 24" and around 45 lbs. He's turning out slightly larger than his breeder or the puppy growth charts predicted, but not by much. I expect him to add a little more weight as he fills out, but not too much more height. His breeder does show, so he was bred to breed standard rather than Costco family size proportions.

·
Premium Member
23,572 Posts
cowpony I was surprised Javelin weighed as much as he did yesterday at the vet. Maybe his metabolism has finally slowed down enough to not always be burning more calories than he is willing to eat. He is the same height as Galen.

Reactions: Ava.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts