Poodle Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
14,442 Posts
Ok poodle friends, Oona’s spay is tomorrow. She’s had her last supper and I will bring her to the vet’s tomorrow between 8-8:30 am and will pick her up later in the day when they’re done. I have a surgical suit for her and I think I will sleep with her on the main floor for the first night at least. I practiced lifting her and I’ll be able to do it for in and out of the car but I don’t possess sufficient size or strength to do staircases safely. I hope tomorrow isn’t too rough on my sweet girl. Hold our hand/paw!

View attachment 487064
This photo tugged my heart strings HARD. Isn’t it so awful not being able to explain to them what’s about to happen?? :cry:

So glad she’s out of surgery and doing well. Sounds like you have a good plan for tonight.

·
Registered
564 Posts
My zonked out surgical sailor, snuggled on her rarely used floor bed. She is really out of it, so we will see what happens later/tomorrow when she is able to absorb our temporary sofa ban. View attachment 487114
View attachment 487113
Aw! I'm sending quick healing vibes 💚
(The couch ban photo gave me a giggle... but I'm also tucking that idea away in the back of my brain for future use!)

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
How’s she doing tonight?
Night 1 was pretty good. In the evening I could tell she was uncomfortable because she had a hard time trying to lie down but was almost falling asleep standing up. Sh kept sitting half on me as if to ask for help and I would rub her back. We had her rest in her crate so she would not be tempted to get up too many times (which is her normal thing to do, be a busybody and follow everyone around). At bedtime I set up a mattress on the floor and she settled pretty well with me, though she did wake me up at 2:30 to go out and pee. Pooping was a little uncomfortable first thing morning but after her morning metacam she had a loose poop which was probably for the best in terms of not having to strain. Today she’s trying to get on the couch, bark out the window, and play a little with her squeaky ball. She’s managed the stairs most times but I have lifted up twice when I was too impatient to wait for her (it is like -20 c out). Thinking that tomorrow or Monday we can let her back on the couch with the back cushions off, because she settles best there, it’s pretty low to get on and off, and we humans want our furniture back. Picture is last night on our floor bed/couch substitute.
Comfort Light Automotive tire Grey Wood

·
Administrator
14,442 Posts
I’m glad she’s doing as well as can be expected. That photo looks very cozy. :) When you’re ready, you could try putting the back cushions on the floor in front of the couch to create a step for her.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I’m glad she’s doing as well as can be expected. That photo looks very cozy. :) When you’re ready, you could try putting the back cushions on the floor in front of the couch to create a step for her.
Current view: enjoying our all day sleepover/floor bed: long underwear day for humans and a pajama day for poodle. Tomorrow I’ll roll up the floor bed, lay the back cushions flat in front and give her couch access back. She’s already gotten up there once to peek out the one window she can see out of in its current position. Even with the chairs on there. So I think she will be ok to get up and down soon.
Shoe Vertebrate Comfort Black Textile

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Today was no pain meds, return of sofa privileges (no sleeping on the back cushions though) and a snow day. I explained to no avail that she was not supposed to leap and zoom so our compromise was that she could briefly run/bounce around me on leash like I was lunging a horse. I chose a plowed path for our afternoon walk only to be forced to the side 3 times by plows - we had to clamber through 2 and half foot snow drifts to get out of the way. Frustrating, but Oona seemed to be happy to have found a loophole for the “no bouncing” rule. We will try to take it easier tomorrow and hopefully more people will have shoveled so we will be able to walk more easily. For those interested, a pic of her incision (this is day 3 or 4 depending on how you count it) - a little bruising that was there since she came home but that is fading, and very little swelling. And a pic of a brief moment in the snow between opportunistic attempts at mitten thievery.
Black Creative arts Comfort Woolen Wool

Snow Vertebrate Parka Tree Jacket

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Oof, two weeks can’t come soon enough. Oona is absolutely full of beans from not being allowed to run, in spite of a long midday wander and added training/shaping sessions. Her harassment of the child has amped up in the house and she is reactive to everything out on walks - if she’s not bounding around trying to steal our mittens, or climbing to the top of snowbanks to poop, she’s looking around suspiciously for things to bark or lunge at. I can’t wait until she can run some of this pent up energy off. We will need to do some aggressive counter conditioning and training tune up, and I am doing what I can now, but it will be much easier when she’s allowed to blow off steam physically, so I’m kind of white-knuckling it through the rest of the week.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.