Poodle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
14,442 Posts
Is a ramp an option? If you’ve got a place to store it, you might find it’s useful again at some point. Even for the humans.

Peggy hopped onto the couch herself the day after her spay. I completely freaked out. I even posted about it here as I wondered how to get her down. :ROFLMAO: I ended up sticking her bed in front of the couch, with a bunch of blankets on it, and she stepped down, no problem.

She also regularly did a single step in our backyard, to get up to her preferred grass patch. She did this from the day of her surgery.

We purchased this surgical suit:

And this inflatable collar:

But had no use for either.

We let Peggy gently explore the area around her incision, but if she got too close, we gave her a little ah-ah. That was all she needed. It helped that the incision was the best I’ve ever seen. It healed super fast and clean.

The first night I slept in the living room, on a cot, with camping pads and blankets spread all over the floor for her. She vomited the whole night and it was traumatic for both of us. She was very out of it. We absolutely could not have managed 5-6 stairs together.

For a few nights after that, she slept in the human bed with a leash looped around my husband’s wrist. My husband had no trouble lifting her on and off the bed.

Then (much to her relief) it was back to the crate. No suit, cone, or collar.

·
Administrator
14,442 Posts
Ok poodle friends, Oona’s spay is tomorrow. She’s had her last supper and I will bring her to the vet’s tomorrow between 8-8:30 am and will pick her up later in the day when they’re done. I have a surgical suit for her and I think I will sleep with her on the main floor for the first night at least. I practiced lifting her and I’ll be able to do it for in and out of the car but I don’t possess sufficient size or strength to do staircases safely. I hope tomorrow isn’t too rough on my sweet girl. Hold our hand/paw!

View attachment 487064
This photo tugged my heart strings HARD. Isn’t it so awful not being able to explain to them what’s about to happen?? :cry:

So glad she’s out of surgery and doing well. Sounds like you have a good plan for tonight.

·
Administrator
14,442 Posts
I’m glad she’s doing as well as can be expected. That photo looks very cozy. :) When you’re ready, you could try putting the back cushions on the floor in front of the couch to create a step for her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.