Poodle Forum banner

Standard Questions

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  bigredpoodle 
#1 ·
Well I kinda wanna know.....I am very short can a standard be controled by a short person bout 4ft 7. & Wanna have a dog to take on vacations to the beach which would be bout 5 to 8 hours drives, Can a standard handle that? Thanks for help guys...I really wanna learn all I need to b4 getting my own standard:call-me:​

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I don't think you should have any trouble controlling your standard even with your petite frame. :) But you will need to take him to obedience classes so that he can learn proper behavior, correct wlaking on leash, etc.

My poodles love the car, so does my Havanese. It's their home away from home, lol. The trick is to start taking him/her in the car for short rides right away to get him used to it. Also, make sure they are fun rides like the pet store, the park, anywhere he can be admired.

#3 ·
standard poodles are tall, but they're NOT a BIG (heavy) breed IMO, so are much easier for a smaller person to control. Obviously obedience training is still required, cos even a lil guy can yank me around if it's not taught to behave! I don't see standard poodles being a problem to control though.

I've taken Paris on a 5hour (one way) road trip twice now, and every single week she spends most of my 8 hour working day in the back seat of the car when I travel an hour away to work. Obviously she's good in the car! lol. She will sit up like a person (I'm often referred to as Paris' chauffeur, the way she sits up in the back seat!) but if she's bored, she curls up and rest her head on the arm rest on the door and sleeps. I have no problem taking her anywhere and everywhere in the car, regardless of how long the trip is. Obviously taking breaks as you do is nice, though I've done the 5 hour trip straight through without any problems from her too.

#4 ·
Any dog taught manners can be walked. I had a 165 lb mastiff i could walk with out a leash at all but I worked daily as a pup to teach him that.
I prefer to keep the leash as short as possible and once they are bigger just use a 12 inch leash so that no room to pull. I also HATE leash wrapped around my hand.
I walk 2 spoos now using a 12 in couplerand basically just a handle clipped to the middle.
Both my guys like the car and have gone on multi hour car rides many times most without potty breaks but 8 hours would need a break.
Heck Mandy was 5 months when I drove 6 hours to pick up Casey then back home on my own. LOL.
A dog is (usually) what you put into it so if you go out often ( once pup has second shots) socialize, and train you pretty much assured a trained happy dog.
Good luck in your hunt for a spoo. My guys will go as long as I want on a hike or such but are just as happy to lay on their chairs beside me

#5 ·
I definitely think you could handle a standard. I have a standard, and I'm 5'2'' but really petite (i.e. I don't quite weigh 100 lbs yet. hahah) and I handle mine just fine.

Mine also LOVES riding in the car. We started taking her on short car rides when she was really young to fun places-dog park, pet store, or just around town. She has been on quite a few long drives and has done just fine. Just make sure you have water from them, take lots of breaks, and be patient while they "do their business." We just make sure she has lots of chewies, her "baby" and blanket, and some toys, and she is perfectly content to ride along with us. Honestly, she's happy to be wherever WE are. We are about to embark on an 11 hour drive with her when we move next month.

#6 ·
Standard Poodles by nature are very gentle. Gentle when taking food and Mister hardly ever pulls. He is walked on a 2 foot leash with a choke collar and i dont have any trouble. They are slender dogs and dont usually exceed 60 pounds so you should have no problem.

#7 ·
It depends on your spoo and your strength and how well trained the dog is. I mean Harry is only about 46 pounds but if I'm not paying attention and he sees something he wants to take off after he can almost pull me down. He's pretty strong but if I have a choke collar on him he won't pull at all.

#8 ·
You will be fine if you put the effort into traing your puppy. One of my '08 litter, Charley, is 70 pounds (built like his Mommy- she is a big girl),and his human Mom is 90 pounds. She says he is the gentlest boy on a lead. She has been working diligently with him since he was nine weeks old, and has taken him to two rounds of obedience classes. The payoff is huge if you put the work into them when they are babies.

#9 ·
Welcome!

Size shouldn't matter. Training is about mentally controlling your dog. Many petite women own giant breeds. I'm not petite, but I own a Rottweiler, who is 114lbs of solid muscle. He could easily overpower me if he thought it was an option. I taught him from day one that I am the boss. Having an eager to please breed like a Rottweiler or Poodle help too.

#10 ·
I have yet to breed a spoo or even own one for that matter, That I had to even use a leash on .. they are so gentle ! After owning Setters these guys are way tame !
I would and always encourage puppy folks to do obedience classes.. They have to sign a contract stating that they will..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.