Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have very small minis and a toy - how does their general temperment differ from that of a standard - or is a poodle a poodle a poodle?

My white female is very laid back and sweet, unless one of the boys is just too much- the she will put him in his place, my black mini male and black toy male are inseparable, extremely active and playful - just hilarious, and my cream mini boy is very high strung - he will play with the others sometimes, but generally wants to either sit with me or alone. All of them will quickly quiet down and sit with us to watch TV, or very happily play ball when we want to play, or go for a walk etc.

I have heard that standards are very active, require alot of exercise and can be very difficult to handle - is this true or false?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
A dog is based off of the temperments of it's parents, if you're looking for a calm standard go to meet the parents and see if their temperments are those you like. Yes, standards are a very active and require exercise because a tired dog doesn't get into trouble, and they're so intelligent that if they get bored they can find their own ways to entertain themselves.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fluffyspoos

Thank-you, I love standard poodles but I am intimidated by their size, and my ability to manage them. I also have read that they have the intellect of a three year old child. I can imagine the trouble they would get into... They are soooooo beautiful !!!!! Maybe one day....

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I live with two standard poodles and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them!! I used to manage a humane society and I own horses, so size is not a factor for me (I have been around very large dogs and 1,700 pound horses!!) As far as their activity levels, maybe I've really lucked out with our two girls but they aren't any more active than I want them to be! :lol: When we're outside with them (which isn't as often now as the weather in North Dakota in the winter can be brutual) they will run and chase with us as long as we want to; and if they want to play more after the humans are done, they'll run and chase with each other until THEY'VE had enough.

When we're relaxing for the evening with the TV on, or the laptop, or a good book, and we've got our footrests up; the poodles will come sit by us and settle in for a good nap!!

You're right about their intelligence - they are scary smart sometimes, but I LOVE that! I can see the wheels turning as we're teaching new things or when they're trying to get US to understand something that they want.

I've thought about getting a different size poodle someday, but after having the standards, I don't think another size will do! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plumcrazy

Thanks for the response, your standards sound just like my minis and toys in behavior and temprement. Infact, your description of sitting with footrests up on computer or whatever - sounds like you have been in my living room! My poodles will do the same, keep running in the back yard until they tire themselves out. They are so much fun! I love them!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I live with 2 as well. Olie my puppy is full of energy but honestly they don't NEED a ton of running/walking but typical exercise Oh and games and tricks just like your little ones I think. There minds are always turning. My standards seem to have way less energy then my Poms! Go figure on that. NOW when we go to the dog park, LOOK OUT they wil go and go and go. Also mine are catchers! They love to retrieve and play ball. It;s fun. They love it and it's fun to try and hang with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts