Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting my quest for my standard poodle!! I wanna do a long search on the breed. Although I already think I have learned everything I need to know!!...lol I won't be getting one anytime soon....because I have a dog right now & live @ home. But I know I want this breed. I can't have kids so I am going to have my furbaby & be a dodting aunt....lol. So anyone have any advice....Well see yall around!!:flowers:

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
well good for you! My daughter can't have children either and she has two mini poodles that she calls "The Girls" lol they are her babies.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I haven't any specific information but I am sure you are going to find a lot of it here. It's good that you are taking your time to learn about poodles before purchasing one. Good luck in your research.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Good for you for doing your research! I never expected my standard poodle to be so WILD! He was one CRAZY puppy, and at age 6, has finally started acting like an adult.
Prepare to get HOOKED on this breed.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
You'll have a lot of fun on this web site. There is a lot of information to help you figure out what you want. Since poodles come in three sizes, I would suggest thinking about what you want to do with your poodle. Do you want a lap dog? Do you want to do agility, obedience training, rally, long walks, ect.? Who will do the grooming? A lot of people will do their own touchups and take them in to a professional groomer for a good thorough groom. I'm not good with scissors myself. LOL

You might also consider places you like to frequent and how easy it would be to take her/him with you. I figure you have already started thinking about these things. How exciting!

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
You'll have a lot of fun on this web site. There is a lot of information to help you figure out what you want. Since poodles come in three sizes, I would suggest thinking about what you want to do with your poodle. Do you want a lap dog? Do you want to do agility, obedience training, rally, long walks, ect.? Who will do the grooming? A lot of people will do their own touchups and take them in to a professional groomer for a good thorough groom. I'm not good with scissors myself. LOL

You might also consider places you like to frequent and how easy it would be to take her/him with you. I figure you have already started thinking about these things. How exciting!

Welcome to the forum.
D'OH! You did say standard already. Good choice!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
We have no children either, thus four beautiful standards and two lovely minis! I advise you to go to some shows like UKC an IABCA, they are fun relaxing family events and great for newbies to ask questions. After having Poos for 20 years we got into showing. Love the atmosphere and talk dog talk with everyone. Enjoy your search for your new "children." The are a blessing and each one has a different personality so get to know the parents if you can.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I strongly recommend that you get to see the parents of any prospective puppy. The parents pass on what they have in structure and temperament. We have never bought a puppy without seeing the what the parents look like and how they act.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I am starting my quest for my standard poodle!! I wanna do a long search on the breed. Although I already think I have learned everything I need to know!!...lol I won't be getting one anytime soon....because I have a dog right now & live @ home. But I know I want this breed. I can't have kids so I am going to have my furbaby & be a dodting aunt....lol. So anyone have any advice....Well see yall around!!:flowers:
Read Read Read, that would be my advise. Make sure you know everything you can about not just the breed but the variety, each one comes with its own set of possible genetic problems. After that make sure to find a REPUTABLE breeder, one that does as many health tests as possible for things such as vWD, PRA, SA, Addisons, OFA, CERF ect... The more thurough the testing on Dam's and Sire's the healthier your pup will be. Make sure they give you copies of ALL the parents test results including reg #'s. There are ALOT of BYB out there and you want to make sure that your pups is as healthy as possible. Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
We have no children either, thus four beautiful standards and two lovely minis! I advise you to go to some shows like UKC an IABCA, they are fun relaxing family events and great for newbies to ask questions. After having Poos for 20 years we got into showing. Love the atmosphere and talk dog talk with everyone. Enjoy your search for your new "children." The are a blessing and each one has a different personality so get to know the parents if you can.
I've heard IABCA mentioned before and it sounds really interesting. What does it stand for exactly and do they have a website? Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts