Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am currently looking for my first poodle puppy. After months of research, I still find myself hesitating to contact breeders and decide on puppies (the amount of times 'poodle' comes up in my search history is alarming).

Musts for me:
Health: all reccommended tests. Would prefer more in depth testing
Temperament: looking for a calmer dog, as I do not hunt nor plan on competing with my puppy (learn it for fun, maybe, but I am looking for a more mellow dog that would potentially be a therapy dog). I am aware that no temperament is guaranteed, but I would prefer a breeder that homes based on temperament rather than first paid gets first pick.

Prefers:
Color: color is not important. I am less inclined to have black because it's hot where i live, but it is something i could work around
Procedures: I prefer to have tail/dewclaws in tact
Size: I am looking for a larger (?) Poodle, around the 24 inch range.
Travel: as i am located in deep south texas, it is a long trip before I even leave the state, so nearby areas are preferred, but if i feel i have no better options, I am willing to travel within the country
(Also note: this is a dog i am preparing for next year at the earliest, so time is not a factor. I would much rather wait years to get the right puppy than spend money now and find that we really don't match well)

Thank you so much for your considerations and reccomendations, and if you have any other tips for me as far as poodles go (since this will be my first!!!!) Feel free to let me know! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Check out NOLA in New Orleans, LA. She is a top of the line breeder and if she doesn't have a pup for you she can point out other breeders. She breeds mostly red and apricot, an occasional black.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Yes I also recommend NOLA in New Orleans, and Candeau Poodles. I also recommend Melissa Whitmore of Starlite Poodles in Monroe, La. I also know of SouthRidge Standard Poodles in Lafayette, LA. She has just had a litter of reds born and I believe as of yesterday has 4 pups available still. It was a litter of 12! She is a hobby breeder and I believe she does health testing but you would need to check yourself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts