Poodle Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria , Mr. Leonard Pink , Ida Lou and Ussman
8,722 Posts
Here is one thing I can tell you I trained my small dogs to walk with my elderly fragile mother, to not be under foot and to stop when she stopped whilst walking.
My current pups are toys, I had a mini as well. You want an easy keeper a very laid back poodle well as laid back as a poodle can be.

·
Premium Member
7,523 Posts
I can testify that minis go thru the landshark phase, which mostly ends as their adult teeth finish coming in.
They get zoomies.
If tall enough, they can table surf. Neo can just reach the edge of the kitchen counter. It's a good thing he hasn't thought to jump or push a chair up to the counter.
I accidentally stepped on Neos toes just a few weeks after we brought them home. He squealed, I jumped and landed on his toes again then I went down on my wrist for a pretty bad sprain. It took a few months to fully heal.
If either jumps on the back of my leg, they can nearly buckle it. Lower center of gravity works to that advantage.
Nearly forgot prey drive. They don't catch much, but that doesn't stop them from going after anything that moves.

This isn't meant to discourage, but to point out that training is the primary point as Twyla and others have mentioned, and as you did with your mini girl.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Lots of excellent points. I can attest that my mini was the sharkiest of landsharks that ever did shark. He was an over the top mouther. Poodles come with a wide variety of personalities. Working with a top quality breeder will give you the best chance of success. You can find more laid back members of either size. I would be wary of a standard poodle puppy around an elderly person. The one time my mini mouthed an older lady he drew blood simply because her skin was so delicate. A big dog can do more damage and rough houses with more impact.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
I agree with cowpony's post. I see her preference for a standard. Puppy teeth, well all puppies have the same razor sharp teeth. My concern would be the jumping. Poodles are excitable bouncy dogs. Mine is almost 3 and as a young pup learned not to jump on us. My husband is new 80 and is not well balanced anymore.
Though mine doesn't jump on you, he will jump up and down and bounce around when he gets excited. If you crate train, that will take care of a lot and also if you tether the dog to you as it learns, you will have control that it doesn't knock your mom over. As far as walking the dog I don't think your mom would be a candidate for that. Some classes are opening up and you could get a trainer to come to your home to help work with the dog. But if you know basic training you shouldn't have a problem anyway. Poodles are a lot of work those first 2-3 years, which is probably why you see many in rescue at that age, many are though from elderly that find its too much dog for them. Keep in mind your poodle was 12 big difference in behaviors and a pup won't be anything like it for a long long time. So a lot will have to do with your patience and your willingness to work with a puppy. Its not all roses.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
You haven't said if your mother is 'elderly' or 'infirm.' There's such a big difference.

Any puppy is going to be a threat to someone who's infirm. Small dogs are a tripping hazard. Larger dogs can knock her over. And falls are, as we know, a major cause of injury and eventual nursing home care for seniors.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Perhaps an over sized mini.. If I were to do this again from a puppy...I'd probably go with the smaller mini. I love the standard and love my boy but he can be a handful and because he is big it could be problematic. I like big dogs and haven't succumbed to realizing a smaller dog would be better. for instance last night my guy nosed my husbands While my boy is now relatively well mannered, he can have moments and it would take only one to accidentally hurt someone.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Interesting to read this thread--I have only had one dog, a mini, and this time I am getting a standard. I am almost 60 but only 5' tall. I would have taken another mini but they were difficult to locate and the breeders wanted as much as $3,000, which I thought was insane. The standard puppy is $2,000-not exactly cheap either, but it reallly seemed to me like pandemic inflation. I am a bit nervous about the size issue especially during the teenaged period but I am going to start training her right away and am counting on the poodle smarts! I am committed to being much stricter with her than I was with the mini, who I took to a number of obedience classes, but as you all said, if he jumped on someone who cares, since he weighed 15 pounds and couldn't hurt anyone by jumping! I will be learning on all of you for advice and support after the puppy comes home in a few weeks!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I’m in my early 60’s and I’ve been following this thread myself. Size does matter, one of the reasons we chose a Spoo rather than our much loved Great Dane breed. Little did I know!😂
Silliness aside, excellent and consistent training, appropriate exercise and keeping that poodle brain busy in addition to teaching them to be calm is so important. The first year was quite a ride but at 21 months Bobby is maturing into an excellent dog. I wouldn’t trade him for the world
but with that being said, I don’t think I would get a Spoo puppy 10 years from now. 😉

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
It almost sounds like you had the perfect dog before, which is unusual to be so mild mannered from such a young age. The breeder who has the dogs known for the mild, excellent temperament sounds like the best bet. I am surprised at the descriptions of Spoos by some. Certainly not all spoos will bite, even accidentally, mine never did. Also I trained him the first day I got him not to jump on me or on furniture. But it did take about 2 years to get to a mild, calm dog for sure. I am 74 now, and not sure at all I would have the energy to train another dog from puppyhood.

Will you be there all day to train and supervise a puppy? If not what would you think of contacting breeders and poodle rescues to see if they have a 2 or 3 year old mini or spoo that is already fairly well trained and socialized with a mild temperament? That is my plan if something were to happen to my awesome Spoo who is now 11.

Cowpony had some really excellent points. For sure crossing my fingers you find a wonderful poodle that both you and your Mother love:)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.