Poodle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! My first post and it is one of many,,lol
First off,, I lost my Miniature, Dixie, last December at 12yrs. old she was the joy of our lives and miss her dearly. I have been looking last few months for another poodle and am seriously considering a Standard this time. My upper 80’s elderly mother who gets around really good and has had a Mini herself just moved in with me and would be here by herself for most of day. Would a Standard be a good choice or should I be looking at another Mini ? I’m worried a Mini would get under her feet and she falls but with a Standand,, not so much I’m thinking 🤔
I really “need“ another poodle in my life and wanting a Standard but not sure with this new living situation.
What say you ?
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A big part of this is going to be how well trained the new dog is. What are your training plans? Will the dog have a crate or x-pen for when he gets to be too much for your mother? Can he run free in the backyard during the day to work off energy?

How strong is your mom? How steady on her feet? How patient? How much chaos can she deal with?
(I ask these questions because I'm old as the hills. They are not put-downs, but reality checks.)
Much appreciated ! That’s why I posted this question. If it were just me no doubt I’d have a Standard over a Mini. I have a LARGE fenced yard and a fairly modest 2200sf home next to a very large public park. My training experience only goes back to basic commands with my Mini I lost but I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge which was minimal due to her learning so dang fast,,amazingly smart. I would be the primary caretaker but she would be with it most of day about 6 - 7 hours,, she said she likes the larger size due to feeling safer (stranger danger) when I’m not there.
thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing I do know for a fact though,, repeat buyers of her pup’s from this one particular female are put on a waiting list for her next litter due to the calm nature and extremely mild temperaments her pup’s have as this is her last litter than that particular female is being retired.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Excellent point’s,, thank you cowpony ! The more I’m reading into Standard’s the more it’s making me question wanting a Standard now,, my Mini was so amazing from 6 weeks till she passed at 12yrs. never had any of the issues that Standards seem to have such as land shark, counter surfing, high prey drive, zoomies, ect. I kinda figured all poodles were as good and easy going as Dixie was. Maybe I need to rethink this and go back to a Mini,, it’s actually kind of intimidating now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.