Poodle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,501 Posts
I got my my spoo boys Snarky and Pogo when we still had my elderly MIL living with us. Success depended on all three aspects of the equation: the puppies, my MIL, and my husband & me. Without all three falling into line it would have been a disaster.

I had zero, and I mean zero, tolerance for any behavior that might be dangerous. Start as you mean to continue.
  • I did not permit the puppies to mouth my MIL. Mouthing resulted in instant banishment.
  • I did not permit my puppies to jump on anyone. This was hard. A lot of people think it's cute when a 10 pound ball of fluff puts his paws on their knees. "Oh, its ok, I don't mind." No, it's not ok. It's a lot less cute when a 60 pound hairball it putting his paws on an elderly lady's shoulders. Puppies stay on leash in the presence of the guests and are pulled back if they fail to keep 4 on the floor.
  • My puppies were not permitted to pretzel or lean on my MIL's or guests' legs. Again, this rule was a tough one to enforce with guests. Everyone wants to cuddle the fuzzy puppy. Fine, cuddle the puppy from the safety of a chair. Not while you are standing.
  • Nobody was allowed to open the door while the dogs were excited about guests. The dogs either needed to go into another room or needed to be sitting on leash when guests came in. Frail guests needed to be seated before the dogs could greet them. Sturdy guests needed to be paying attention and have their weight properly balanced.
Temperament is essential. Snarky and Pogo were a bit more excitable and reactive than ideal, but they were very trainable. I think my current boy Galen would have been even better.

A cooperative mother-in-law was essential. She did not undermine our rules. When we said, "don't open the door until the dog is under control, " she didn't open the door.

Constant vigilance and discipline from us was essential. We knew the puppies would get the zoomies and need to be redirected. We knew the puppies would need to be taught not to jump. We knew the puppies would need direction when dealing with guests. We made the commitment to teach the puppies what they needed to know and get them plenty of exercise. We didn't just expect them to outgrow bad behavior.

It sounds like you are looking at a good temperament. However, it will probably be two years before the puppy gets his adult brain. Are both you and your mother prepared for two years of strict and consistent training?

·
Super Moderator
5,501 Posts
Excellent point’s,, thank you cowpony ! The more I’m reading into Standard’s the more it’s making me question wanting a Standard now,, my Mini was so amazing from 6 weeks till she passed at 12yrs. never had any of the issues that Standards seem to have such as land shark, counter surfing, high prey drive, zoomies, ect. I kinda figured all poodles were as good and easy going as Dixie was. Maybe I need to rethink this and go back to a Mini,, it’s actually kind of intimidating now.
It's funny, because some people believe mini poodle are more energetic than spoos, at least in adulthood. Whether or not that difference is real, it's undeniable that a spoo is taller and heavier. They can get into more mischief and do more damage simply because they are bigger.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.