Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading a bit and people seem to have mixed feelings about this... originally it seems the Standard was bred as a working dog. I am about to pick up my new baby in a few weeks and I was wondering do they have ball drive? As in do they like to play fetch?

I've always wanted a dog that has a lot of drive for fetching and although I have two German SHepherds neither one of them appreciate playing fetch!

I was just curious as to what you guys think!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I really do not know of any STANDARD poodle that doesn't really love playing fetch. We have 2 standards and they totally enjoy playing fetch, both w/us or with each other if we won't play ball with them , one of them will pick up a ball and toss it into the air for the other to fetch, it's really hillarious to watch. We do have 2 TOY poos also. One of them does fetch, but the other has never had any desire to do so, I don't know why, but she just looks at the other dogs, as if to say " hey stupid, why waste your time chasing those silly balls and bringing them back, just to have our peoples toss them far away again, can't you see they must not want the balls because they keep throwing them far away?"

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have the weirdest dog he will play fetch with his flying squirrel in fact go insane over his squirrel for hours but toss a ball and he thinks those are just to bug Mandy with.
I hope to try outside this summer with a ball more but in the house he not to interested other then playing tag with it.
If he even sees that squirrel toy though my gosh he is whining barking shaking bouncing 3 ft in the air till i through it. Good though as we are working on waits and he has to sit nice if I say before I do

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I imagine if you start young they get the hang of it. Both of my German Shepherds were rescues so they don't know what a friggin ball is. They will sometimes go get it, carry it around for awhile and drop it wondering what the point was.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My standard loves to chase anything I throw; but he doesn't always remember that he's supposed to bring it back, lol. He prefers that I chase him.
He does come back if I call him.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
My standard won't play fetch.... She might (the operative word here being MIGHT) chase a toy if you throw it, but she certainly won't bring it back and in most cases won't even pick it up. She will play with toys on her terms and usualy by herslef.

As I type this though, the standard we are babysitting for the week keeps trying to shove a slimby squeeker ball onto my keyboard in the hopes that I will throw it for her. LoL. I can't wait until she goes home this weekend!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts