Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys! As I mentioned in another post, my husband and I are in the process of trying to find our first standard poodle. We recently lost our toy poodle of nearly 15 years but we've always known we wanted a larger dog for our next canine companion. We're also hoping for a more laid-back, easy going poodle, which I know tends to be a more common personality trait in standards than toys or minis.

My ideal would be a 35-40lb standard but I know that's very small for a standard and I've had a bit of trouble finding a quality breeder that expects pups in that size range - especially as most quality breeders do breed for show and you typically don't want such a small standard in the ring. I have run into a few moyen breeders but those are fewer and further between (especially the quality breeders).

A family member lived with us for a few months this year along with his 60lb pitt/lab mix who is an absolute love so that was a good size comparison for us around the house (and much more comfortable than we expected). However, poodles have a much more delicate body structure and weight distribution than a pitt/lab mix so it wasn't completely helpful.

Ideally, I'd love to be able to meet a few standard poodles to get a better idea of size but with COVID-19, that's a little more difficult (though I'd welcome if anyone in the DC area would be willing to meet and greet outdoors with masks at a park!) I've met standards before but it's been a while and was before we were seriously considering one.

I'm just having a tough time visualizing how different a 40lb versus 50lb versus 60lb standard would be and if it's even really that big a difference. I want to be able to pick up and manage my dog on my own (and I'm a bit petite). Did any other standard owners have these questions when considering a standard? I'm hoping to be able to go meet the parents at whatever breeder we end up going with but it would be great to have a better idea before making that decision. And most quality breeders aren't excited about prospective owners without deposits placed coming over for a visit (especially during COVID-19).

I'd appreciate any feedback on size - and any comparison pictures - anyone can share. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
Peggy generally either looks HUGE in photos or rather tiny. It's hard to find one that accurately conveys her size, but this one's pretty good:

My husband is 5'11. Peggy is 45 lbs, 21.5" at the shoulder, and 99% legs:

C5CA6243-083D-4DE9-8744-89AC6A420684.jpg

People are always shocked to hear she doesn't weigh 60 lbs or more. Those legs can be very deceiving! But she is just light enough that I can pick her up to weigh her on our bathroom scale or lift her out of the car.

Really a very nice size.

We were originally looking for a mini, or even a toy, but Peggy's parents are both 45 lbs and we decided to take a chance. There are no guarantees, of course. She could've kept right on growing. But we live in an area that's heavily populated with eagles and coyotes and we felt it was better to cross our fingers for a small standard than potentially risk a small dog's life on our favourite beach, where the eagles nest overhead.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Raffi's parents were both 50-60 lbs, and at nearly a year he is about 55lbs as well. Like Peggy, it's all legs.
It makes me laugh that my other dog, a Corso, is a few inches shorter but weighs twice as much!
I wanted a smallish standard, we are a 'big dog' family but the plan was/is for my 11yr old daughter to be able to handle him. Which she can, without much difficulty. He is not small but he seems so light, I can easily pick him up and even my daughter can lift his front end with no issue. He can just fit under her legs for "middle" command lol. And I am 5'5" and his head is at exactly the right height to rest my hand on and give him a little scalp massage.
I don't know if this pic helps, my daughter is about 4'9" for reference.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
My poodle's litter ranged from 40 ish pounds to more than 80 - so you have a chance :)

Annie is 50 lb, and, when she wants to, takes up one couch cushion or one seat in the car. My dog is quite leggy - she's almost 25" at the shoulder. I call her my 50 lb dog-on-stilts. Take a meterstick if you have one, and hold it next to your body, and that's a good way to measure. I'm short, and my hand rests on her back nicely. When she wants to, she can also take up 3 couch cushions, or 3 seats in the backseat of the car. Compared to my family's labs, she's a lot more graceful, less likely to run into things and people so (IMO) easier to live with in a house than another dog of the same height. Because poodles are square, they are less long in the body than other dogs of equivalent height, which makes them more maneuverable.

For size comparison - my family's St. Bernard was maybe 26-28" (1-3" taller than Annie) at the shoulder, 185 lb and nowhere near as easy to fit in a car, on a couch, or as maneuverable in the house.

I lift her and carry her without much issue, she likes being picked up and hugged once a day or so, she lifts herself a bit to make it easier for me and settles herself comfortably in my arms (we've been practicing since puppyhood though)

Here's her with my bathmat (practicing getting "go to your mat")

Sitting in a couch cushion

On a toddler mattress, with long legs outstretched

·
Registered
460 Posts
Peggy generally either looks HUGE in photos or rather tiny. It's hard to find one that accurately conveys her size, but this one's pretty good:

View attachment 468164

My husband is 5'11. Peggy is 45 lbs, 21.5" at the shoulder, and 99% legs:

View attachment 468166

People are always shocked to hear she doesn't weigh 60 lbs or more. Those legs can be very deceiving! But she is just light enough that I can pick her up to weigh her on our bathroom scale or lift her out of the car.

Really a very nice size.

We were originally looking for a mini, or even a toy, but Peggy's parents are both 45 lbs and we decided to take a chance. There are no guarantees, of course. She could've kept right on growing. But we live in an area that's heavily populated with eagles and coyotes and we felt it was better to cross our fingers for a small standard than potentially risk a small dog's life on our favourite beach, where the eagles nest overhead.
Absolutely love the long legs!

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
Absolutely love the long legs!

She does things with those legs that boggle the mind! I swear she jumps MID-JUMP sometimes. Like she's flying.

(That's actually something to keep in mind when choosing a poodle size. Peggy once soared up and over the back of the couch from a standstill.)

·
Registered
460 Posts
My poodle's litter ranged from 40 ish pounds to more than 80 - so you have a chance :)

Annie is 50 lb, and, when she wants to, takes up one couch cushion or one seat in the car. My dog is quite leggy - she's almost 25" at the shoulder. I call her my 50 lb dog-on-stilts. Take a meterstick if you have one, and hold it next to your body, and that's a good way to measure. I'm short, and my hand rests on her back nicely. When she wants to, she can also take up 3 couch cushions, or 3 seats in the backseat of the car. Compared to my family's labs, she's a lot more graceful, less likely to run into things and people so (IMO) easier to live with in a house than another dog of the same height. Because poodles are square, they are less long in the body than other dogs of equivalent height, which makes them more maneuverable.

For size comparison - my family's St. Bernard was maybe 26-28" (1-3" taller than Annie) at the shoulder, 185 lb and nowhere near as easy to fit in a car, on a couch, or as maneuverable in the house.

I lift her and carry her without much issue, she likes being picked up and hugged once a day or so, she lifts herself a bit to make it easier for me and settles herself comfortably in my arms (we've been practicing since puppyhood though)

Here's her with my bathmat (practicing getting "go to your mat")

View attachment 468170

Sitting in a couch cushion

View attachment 468169

On a toddler mattress, with long legs outstretched

View attachment 468171
Really appreciate your sharing the huge range of sizes in your poodle's litter. We bought the runt, who was much smaller than his littermates. We were astonished by his adult size at 3 years of age - 85 pounds, nearly 30" at the shoulder. We really believe in the value of a well trained dog, and worked diligently with Charlie. We use a Gentle Leader headcollar and I can control him with two fingers on the leash, as well as training him to walk at heel on a loose lead. I sure wouldn't want to wrestle him - he is rock hard lean muscle. I can't lift him, but pointing and saying"up" will result in him leaping gracefully into the bed of a pickup truck or anywhere else I need him to go.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
My Asta is 50 lb. I can just lift him up. Not sure on height.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Sisko is 26 inches and probably 60 pounds now. He has legs for days too, but I think the camera exaggerates it sometimes.
20200604_120834.jpg

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Renn is about 26 inches too, he is playing with his toys so it was hard to wrangle him lol. His legs are pretty much in proportion to the rest of his body, not overly long but he can leap to catch a ball at least 5 ft in the air.

·
Premium Member
23,387 Posts
My two spoos are both pretty much in your general range. Lily is 22 3/4" at the withers and has weighed within a pound on either side of 36.5 points her entire adult life. She will turn 12 soon. Javelin is exactly 24" at the withers and generally weighs somewhere around 46 pounds. I have tried a number of times to put some weight on him since he has a burn the candle at both ends metabolism but it never stays on him. Right now I think his last vet weight check showed him at 44.6 pounds.

Reactions: vanydog

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Iris was lovely and petite. 21" and 37 lbs....she came from Ann Rairigh at Litilann's Poodles in Louisville KY. Poppy, my current girl, is a little larger. 23" and 45 lbs. she came from Betty Brown at Donnchada poodles in TX. Both breeders seemed to know just about what the adult sizes would be and both were spot on. I can not lift a much larger dog so size was important to me. I wish you well in your search.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Wren is 53lbs and about 24 inches, I think. I have not measured him recently. He is at
least an inch taller than Raven who is about 23 inches and 55 lbs. He is taller and heavier boned than Raven but much leggier. She is much more deep chested than Wren.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I'm starting to think Peggy's a little chunky! Or perhaps....big-boned?
There's just a huge variation in how rangy poodles are. Peggy looks to me to have solid bone and a deep chest, though she probably will still fill out more because her chest is narrow. Though some poodles retain a narrow chest forever. I'm sure you're doing a good job of keeping her at a healthy weight. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
There's just a huge variation in how rangy poodles are. Peggy looks to me to have solid bone and a deep chest, though she probably will still fill out more because her chest is narrow. Though some poodles retain a narrow chest forever. I'm sure you're doing a good job of keeping her at a healthy weight. :)
She's been eating like a HORSE lately, so I think she's definitely still got some filling out to do.

It's really neat seeing all these poodle pictures next to their stats. Poodles carry their weight so beautifully.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Renn filled out and gained 10 lbs more during his 2nd year. He has been maintaining but I think he is getting chunky since I added dehydrated toppers to his food and he has been getting more treats. I need to cut back the food or add it to his puzzles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thank you everyone for sharing your poodle pictures and stats! It's so interesting to see the vast range of poodle body shapes and sizes :) We don't have anything completely lined up yet but I'm in contact with a number of breeders on the east cost and we're hoping for a small standard puppy this fall. Fingers crossed!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts