Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to crate train my Standard who is a new pup. I have heard and read scary stuff about the 42" wire crates based upon metal wire bending and slats / grid of wire too open visual anxiety producing. What I like about the wire is the use of divider while she grows into her crate size.

I have also heard from many trainers that they recommend plastic crates as there seems to be more of a den feel which connects with instinctual aspect. I can block off the back part of plastic crate so she learns not to potty in crate. I have also heard that plastic crates get hot for large size breeds...

Please help, any insight is greatly appreciated as I bring my sweet puppy home in 2 weeks and want to have the crate ready for first night.

Many Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
Based on the smell of the plastic trays that came with my last two wire crates, I can't imagine putting a puppy in a plastic crate. Maybe the crates are made from a higher quality material? I hope so.

I replaced the trays with wood bases, but the heavy-duty, easy-to-clean metal trays are, I think, way better. That's what my old girl's crate had. Unfortunately, quality is harder to come by these days and you'll pay a much higher premium

I have Peggy in a 48" crate, and this is the size I would recommend for a small to medium sized spoo, assuming you use a divider during potty training.

It's wire, so does come with some risks, but I have been very careful since day 1 to ensure that Peggy likes her crate and always goes in willingly (and stays in happily).

I use a lightweight black blanket over it, open only to the wall side for air flow.

P.S. Can't wait to see pics of your new pup!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts