Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
We added Louie, a standard poodle to our family two weeks ago. He turns 12 weeks today and weighed in at 10.5lbs yesterday at the vet. This seems small to me, but have never owned a standard poodle before so I wanted to reach out and get some input from this community. The breeder told me that he should get to be about 50lbs. His mom was on the smaller side around 48lbs and his dad was around 56lbs. I wanted to reach out to this community to see what your experience has been. Was there a certain age you saw a huge growth spurt?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
My 50 lb girl was 14.5 lbs at 11.5 weeks. I found this chart predicted her growth almost perfectly. I would check every time I went to the vets, and she'd still be on track for 48-55 lbs.

Based on that chart, at 12 weeks, he should be about 30% of his final weight. 10.5lb/0.3 = 35 lbs. I'm a bit jealous - 35 lbs was the size where I thought my girl was about "perfect".

That being said, my girl had a pretty big jump in weight when I first got her, and it's common if the breeder wasn't careful to make sure all the puppies were getting equally fed for one or two to need extra when they first come home. Make sure you are feeding a high quality puppy food in several meals a day (I did 4 at that age) and he should do fine, no matter what his final size.

·
Super Moderator
7,218 Posts
I'm a bit jealous - 35 lbs was the size where I thought my girl was about "perfect".
Saaaaame!! I loved the 30s. Now I've got a big ol' horse poodle, who I thought had settled just under 45 lbs, but seems to be in the middle of yet another growth spurt. Lol.

Peggy was 16.8 lbs at 12 weeks. She never had a particularly noteworthy growth spurt, but every month or so we'd see a larger than normal jump in her weekly weight. It was usually preceded by a huge appetite.

Congrats on your new addition! Hope you'll share some pics of Louie with us. Such a cute name.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 50 lb girl was 14.5 lbs at 11.5 weeks. I found this chart predicted her growth almost perfectly. I would check every time I went to the vets, and she'd still be on track for 48-55 lbs.

Based on that chart, at 12 weeks, he should be about 30% of his final weight. 10.5lb/0.3 = 35 lbs. I'm a bit jealous - 35 lbs was the size where I thought my girl was about "perfect".

That being said, my girl had a pretty big jump in weight when I first got her, and it's common if the breeder wasn't careful to make sure all the puppies were getting equally fed for one or two to need extra when they first come home. Make sure you are feeding a high quality puppy food in several meals a day (I did 4 at that age) and he should do fine, no matter what his final size.
Thanks for this chart! I do think Louie definitely came to us a little skinny, so we’ve upped his total food intake by 20% per the vets orders. He loves eating so he’s appreciated having a bit more. We are feeding three times a day right now. I will be interested to see how that plays out over the next few months!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Saaaaame!! I loved the 30s. Now I've got a big ol' horse poodle, who I thought had settled just under 45 lbs, but seems to be in the middle of yet another growth spurt. Lol.

Peggy was 16.8 lbs at 12 weeks. She never had a particularly noteworthy growth spurt, but every month or so we'd see a larger than normal jump in her weekly weight. It was usually preceded by a huge appetite.

Congrats on your new addition! Hope you'll share some pics of Louie with us. Such a cute name.
Thank you for the insight! I’m excited to see where Louie ends up.
Here is a photo:
97736867-DA60-414C-AB0D-DA5A0BEFF85C.jpeg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts