Poodle Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
i think also what should be considered is the breeding of the specific color as i have noticed a big correlation in crazy behaviors in specific colours(hello chocc lab/cream carin terrier) but mainly in pet lines or breeds that are trying to acheive a specific color. kinda makes me think of the fox breeding experiment.. read down this article to where they start selectively breeding foxes for one thing-and everything else about them changes... makes you wonder if someone is selectively breeding for a specific thing, what ar eside effects. Man’s new best friend? A forgotten Russian experiment in fox domestication | Guest Blog, Scientific American Blog Network

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've had black, red, and now two white tpoos. They have all had similar temperaments (sweet, cuddly, loveable, super friendly, and terribly spoiled) although like children, each has had her own distinct personality. I know the "spoiled" is because of me. . .not them!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sweetearlgrey, thank you.

Twyla, thank you that is a gorgeous dog. I'll be using that photo for reference.

Poodlerunner, would you be persuaded to dish on what you've heard about different colors & personality traits. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. This is true in Giant Schnauzers. My female is black & she's a born guardian. My understanding is the Salt/Peppers are slower to come into this, it happens but takes a little longer. With Dobermans I've rarely seen a fawn who had the kind of character to work security but I've seen a few exceptional ones with children. There's a slight difference in temperament that seems to come with that color whereas I've seen blues that were monsters for security work if you could only keep them healthy. And Labs, oh my. I know a lot of good yellow & blacks but I used to threaten to run away from home when the chocolates would come in. Then I discovered this is different between the American bred dogs & the English Labs. I trained with a pair of English Chocolate Labs & they were just awesome & calm. No peeling them off the ceiling three times a day. Like working with a different breed. So I'd love to hear anything like this you'd care to share.

Naira, I think I did read somewhere that merles were not normally in poodles. That was kind of prompted me to wonder about brindles & phantoms & partis.

Right now just from looking at pictures I favor the creams or very light apricots & I've seen some gorgeous phantoms online. I also love the silvers & blues. But feel I know so little I need to keep gathering info. So keep it coming & thank you very much for the help!
Brindles, Phantoms and Parti-colored poodles are not considered official by AKC .They are not allowed in the confirmation ring. I have owned 1 black St Poodle , 7 red (Majestic line) St Poodles and 3 (Ranah line) red toys. They all have been expected to live an obedient lifestyle. Older dogs helped example for younger. My reds held there own and sometimes surpassed other colors of poodles in obedience trials. Just know the poodle is an intelligent animal and can be as smart as his human in ways that will amaze you.
Poodle Power to the World

·
Super Moderator
1,817 Posts
Brindles, Phantoms and Parti-colored poodles are not considered official by AKC .They are not allowed in the confirmation ring. I have owned 1 black St Poodle , 7 red (Majestic line) St Poodles and 3 (Ranah line) red toys. They all have been expected to live an obedient lifestyle. Older dogs helped example for younger. My reds held there own and sometimes surpassed other colors of poodles in obedience trials. Just know the poodle is an intelligent animal and can be as smart as his human in ways that will amaze you.
Poodle Power to the World
Rick, the forum recommendations have tricked you into responding to a very old thread. Check out some of dogsavvy's more recent posts about raising and training the puppy she got.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Naira, I think I did read somewhere that merles were not normally in poodles. That was kind of prompted me to wonder about brindles & phantoms & partis.

Right now just from looking at pictures I favor the creams or very light apricots & I've seen some gorgeous phantoms online. I also love the silvers & blues. But feel I know so little I need to keep gathering info. So keep it coming & thank you very much for the help!
The American poodle breed standard allows any solid color. Parti-colors have been seen for a couple of hundred years, but brindle, phantom, and merle were essentially not common until recently, so I wonder if other breeds were included in those color lines. Merle, in my opinion, should be avoided at all costs due to health issues connected to that pattern.

You are very unlikely to find brindles, phantoms, or merles in the background of any well-bred poodle. People who breed for show or other competition are most likely to do health/genetic testing of their breeding stock. My advice is to stick with those people. In particular, stay far away from anyone who advertises "rare" colors. The reason they are rare is that they are unacceptable according to the breed standard!

One other thought - my experience with blue standards is old, but the ones I have groomed had rather fragile coats.

·
Registered
Olive, black miniature poodle, 9 months old
242 Posts
The American poodle breed standard allows any solid color. Parti-colors have been seen for a couple of hundred years, but brindle, phantom, and merle were essentially not common until recently, so I wonder if other breeds were included in those color lines. Merle, in my opinion, should be avoided at all costs due to health issues connected to that pattern.

You are very unlikely to find brindles, phantoms, or merles in the background of any well-bred poodle. People who breed for show or other competition are most likely to do health/genetic testing of their breeding stock. My advice is to stick with those people. In particular, stay far away from anyone who advertises "rare" colors. The reason they are rare is that they are unacceptable according to the breed standard!

One other thought - my experience with blue standards is old, but the ones I have groomed had rather fragile coats.
I like your response, but as @cowpony said, this is an old thread, you should start a new thread.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts