Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Standard breeders keeping natural tails?

We would like to get suggestions for reputable breeders who keep natural tails on their dogs. Our preference is for a red. Thanks

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I believe most breeders will keep a puppy natural as long as you pay your deposit and choose from the litter by 3 days of age. So just find a breeder you like and ask.

Good luck!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My understanding is that the puppy personalities/dispositions take awhile to become evident and therefore at 3 days we wouldn't necessarily get the best match for us and our situation.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
My understanding that is that the puppy personalities/dispositions take awhile to become evident and therefore at 3 days we wouldn't necessarily get the best match for us and our situation.
Totally agreed. You can't tell the full personality of a pup until 6 to 8 weeks, so selecting one at 3 days is a total crap shoot.

I don't know enough Standard breeders to recommend any. AgilityIG who participates on this forum has a black poodle with an undocked tail. Perhaps you could PM her and find out the breeder name? At the very least, that breeder might be able to point you in the direction of other breeders. Heather's breeder also keeps undocked tails and breeds reds. She posted her breeder in the current Red Breeder discussion that's going on.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yes some breeders who normally dock their litters tails will leave them natural for someone who requests it, if they do pay for a pup in advance. I do agree with you Searcher about not wanting to pick a pup to soon, just in case personalities do not match.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I looked at that 2nd website, what lovely dogs. I like that they leave their tails natural, too. But why would they begin supplementing the puppies on Day 3? If it's anything like human mammals that will only decrease the mother's milk production and their mother's milk has got to be better than something synthetic.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I looked at that 2nd website, what lovely dogs. I like that they leave their tails natural, too. But why would they begin supplementing the puppies on Day 3? If it's anything like human mammals that will only decrease the mother's milk production and their mother's milk has got to be better than something synthetic.
Agreed Bella's Momma. I'm not sure why you would supplement as a matter of course, unless you could see that some pups weren't thriving or the litter was unusually big.

I would have lots of questions for that breeder, I just took a closer look at the website and it doesn't list much information. I'm guessing the dogs shown don't appear in confirmation themselves, but I'd be interested to know what's behind them. I like it when breeders give the full registered names out, so I can start doing research on Poodlepedigree.com and the OFA website. :biggrin1:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
My understanding that is that the puppy personalities/dispositions take awhile to become evident and therefore at 3 days we wouldn't necessarily get the best match for us and our situation.
True but most litters are spoken for very early on and if you have reserved a spot you may not get 1st pick on what puppy "fits" with you. On a side note personalities start showing very early on way before 8 weeks.

Anyway good luck with your search!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
www.redpoodlepups.com (Lori Silverthorne) :thumb: this is where Rogan is from and she owns the Sire of Trillium's 2 girls (Dugan)! She DOES NOT dock tails at all! Pups are raised in house and very well socialized. All health tests are done on breeding stock, a very small number of litters per year...etc ... I had a list of criteria and she met all of them! I can't say enough good things about this breeder. You won't be dissappointed!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
The second one seems to indicate that the dogs are raised outdoors almost exculsively which is something to avoid.
Yeah.. I noticed that. I was wondering why they would have the example pictures of their dogs taken with both of them outside, dirty, and ungroomed. The same goes with their puppy pictures.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts