Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my poor little Perry got jostled off of the stairs of the deck tonight by the greyhound. They get along just fine, I think maybe Perry got under his feet as they were going down the stairs, and TheGrey growled at him. Perry jumped out of the way, and consequently off of the stairs. TheFiance was home (as I had to work late) and was the one who saw it all... went and measured to see how far he had fallen, and it is about three feet that he fell.

Well, he is limping really badly, but nothing is broken says the emergency vet + x-rays, so that is good. The vet essentially said that it is a soft tissue bruise, and would be akin to you or I hurting the muscles in our groin, because it would hurt to sit/stand/walk. Oh, and he said that we should bring him home and love on him, as well as his discharge instructions say that he isn't to walk unless going to the bathroom or for only short spans so his leg doesn't get stiff. Evidently they loved him over there at the emergency vet, as they had him on the floor and he was enjoying himself in the back while they were seeing how bad off he was or wasn't. I think they also gave him peanut butter, as his hair (where it looks like someone possibly had it on their finger then touched his side) is now completely matted. I'm VERY close to just going and having him shaved down once this is all over. (I'm at my wit's end with his hair!)

Anyway, long story short, this has made me realize that I need to get him stairs or something for my bed, because my bed is REALLY high, and I don't want him jumping off of it anymore for fear that we will have a repeat of tonight (without the violence). Anyone have any suggestions? Or any little tricks, rather than having to spend money on a nice set of stairs?

I mean, if I get too desperate, my granny is addicted to hsn and qvc, so I'm sore they'll have some on there soon. lol

Here are some pictures of the pitiful guy. They drugged him up before he came home, so he is sleepy as can be, and was letting me lay him anywhere. He REALLY isn't putting weight on his leg, so it has got to hurt, my poor baby.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
They make a lot of really nice products for your needs ranging from inexpensive foam to pricey stairs built to last into the next century! Poor lil dude! hope he feels better quick!

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
He was letting you lay him on the STOVE? I guess he was still groggy. LOL

Do you have a foot locker you could use as a test? It makes for a nice broad platform; he's not likely to aim for it and miss. I'm going through the same jumping-off-the-bed issue with my elderly arthritic cat. The trouble is, he flatly refuses to use any aids. I've put chairs, foot stools, foot lockers, and all manner of sturdy platforms at the foot of the bed to encourage him to jump in stages. No dice. I'm glad I discovered he wouldn't use the stuff before I went out and bought something.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Awwww poor little Perry. He does look so vulnerable.

You could look for a rectangular coffee table or sofa table at a garage sale. If it's not the right height, cut the legs down and cover the top with foam and fabric. Just staple it from the bottom using a staple gun. You will have a litttle bench to sit on as you put shoes on while Perry has a step to help him leap into the bed.

To keep costs down, you could even patch some fabric together that they sell as remnants. As long as the colors match, it would look good. Kinda like a quilt.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
A very handy friend of my built me a ramp for the end of my bed. The ramp is covered with corrugated carpeting for traction and ALL my animals now use it to get up and down from the bed (even the big dogs - Meau likes to "slide" down it over and over again - she thinks she's at the playground or something)

I can try to get a picture of it when I get home from work tonight... *I* would never have been able to build something like this, but my friend likes to work with wood and stuff and she had no problem whipping it up!!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks you guys for your well wishes and suggestions.

He is doing a little better today. Obviously less groggy, as his strong medication has worn off, but still more sedentary than he normally is. He is also coming to work with me today so that I can watch him, as he is still a little wobbly. I can also tell that he is still hurting due to the fact that he is still a little whiney. Last night while he was doped up, he was just whining and whining to me. I had him in my zip up jacket, and I could feel him take these huge breaths and just cry. TheFiance feels HORRIBLY guilty, good thing Perry was in my car, and not TheFiance's rolling death trap!

Cowpony - yep, he was so loopy that he let me lay him anywhere... in the same position I was holding him! I literally slid him off of my arm and on to the stove. It wasn't on, lol, and I was only a foot away, trying to find something to eat for a VERY late dinner.

I was thinking I would more prefer a ramp, due to the daredevil nature of TQ. I can just SEE her vaulting off of the stairs over and over again. I had thought about stacking things near each other to make a sort of makeshift set of steps, but I'm lacking a middle step, lol. I have something for the bottom and top, but the leap from there would be a little too much, I think. :)

Would love to see pictures of your ramp, plum. My dad is pretty handy, and being his baby girl and all, I think I could sweet talk him in to making me one lol. (However, he won't be back here for a few months, which does me no good!)

Well, off to work we go!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
OK.... got some pictures (no one EVER said I'm a good photographer!!) but it should give you an idea of what we have.

This ramp is 12" wide, 49" from the floor to the top of the flat platform and another 17" to the back of the "railing thingy". It's about 27" tall at it's tallest point and the railing thingy is about a 7" board, but only about 4 3/4" stand up from the side of the ramp. My bed is pretty high too, and there's an additional 8" from the top of the ramp to the top of my mattress. (I'm sure ALL of this is very confusing, but if I can answer any questions, let me know - I LOVE my ramp!!)

Here's a picture of the ramp from the side:

straight on:

Volcom and Element showing how it works:

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
This is the side that's usually against my bed (I tipped it over on its side):

And underneath:

It's pretty heavy duty and can even hold ME (and I'm not a light-weight!)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! Thank you for all of that!

That is one impressive ramp! I am going to show this to my dad, hopefully we can come up with something as great as yours!

I really REALLY appreciate all the pictures and specs :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts