Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has ever had brown staining on their silver poodles?

I noticed that Pluto, my silver mini, has some brown staining near her neck area. I’m not really sure what the stain is from. Her fur was pretty long so I was thinking it was some dirt stain or something. But she recently had a groom (just yesterday actually!) where I asked them to cut her fur as short as possible, and I’m surprised the discoloration is still there! I’m wondering if this is due to her collar (not shown in picture) but, but the collar doesn’t have any metal hardware that would be touching her skin. 🤔

Anyone with silver poodles have any ideas? Is there a way to make the stain go away or will it eventually go away as her fur grows again?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Since it’s just in the front, I would suspect the tag is discoloring the fur if there’s a tag on the collar.

·
Super Moderator
2,976 Posts
Since it’s just in the front, I would suspect the tag is discoloring the fur if there’s a tag on the collar.
I was wondering the same thing. I can't see well enough from the photo to see whether the discoloration is mostly where the tags lay, or if it goes up further. Another possibility for a localized spot is the metal hardware on the collar: the buckle, rings, and rivet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Attaching collar pics here! Perhaps it is as simple as metal staining from her collar, as you guys can see there’s a golden D ring and rose gold jewel tag that attaches to the collar. The second pic is the “inside” of the collar though, the rose gold tag is not exposed since it sits inside the layers of the outside of the collar. Maybe the outside edges of the metal D ring would be rubbing against her, I was thinking it wouldn’t be the cause since in this third pic below the collar usually sits like this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm could you give more info on the collar? How often does she wear it and what material? I'm thinking perhaps allergy to it.
Attached some collar pics not in this reply but a separate reply to the whole thread! The collar itself is fabric and plastic, but it does have a rose gold colored tag from brklz. On their website they said the tags are stainless steel with rose gold plating.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I have a tag from brklz that is made from stainless steel and rose gold plating. But as you can see the second photo is the side that would be touching her, so I’m confused since the plating doesn’t touch her

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm could you give more info on the collar? How often does she wear it and what material? I'm thinking perhaps allergy to it.
She has been wearing it pretty much daily for the past month. I think I started to notice the stain about 2 weeks ago.

·
Super Moderator
9,704 Posts
I would say it’s pretty definitely the collar. But you can also speak to your vet about possible yeast, what to watch out for, and how to treat it. I tend to use Dr. Google for that stuff, which isn’t always a good idea unless you stick to trusted sources.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Pluto is such a pretty silver poodle I have a silver minipoo too. Her fur has never turned brown like that. If she has an injury her fur will grow back inky black and after several months will slowly lighten to her normal silver color.

I think it’s some reaction to the hanging Swarovski crystal and not the metal given the location. You can see brown fur on inky black dogs from oxidation. I’m wondering if the crystal is optimizing that process to the fur that sits underneath.

Editing to say Oxidation caused by dogs being outside exposed to sunlight. The crystal may act to concentrate sunlight on the fur underneath

Reactions: skuma150

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would say it’s pretty definitely the collar. But you can also speak to your vet about possible yeast, what to watch out for, and how to treat it. I tend to use Dr. Google for that stuff, which isn’t always a good idea unless you stick to trusted sources.
As much as I wish it wasn’t the collar, you’re probably right!
That’s a good point, Dr. Google can be useful sometimes but probably not fool-proof 😂

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pluto is such a pretty silver poodle I have a silver minipoo too. Her fur has never turned brown like that. If she has an injury her fur will grow back inky black and after several months will slowly lighten to her normal silver color.

I think it’s some reaction to the hanging Swarovski crystal and not the metal given the location. You can see brown fur on inky black dogs from oxidation. I’m wondering if the crystal is optimizing that process to the fur that sits underneath.
Thank you!!

I never thought about the crystal causing the issue...I may just have to retire this tag and see if the issue eventually clears

·
Registered
426 Posts
I bet the coating on that jewel is causing the discoloration.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
3,023 Posts
Just jumping in to say that Pluto is gorgeous! He has such a darling face. As for the discoloration, it sounds like you've identified the likely culprit. Do you have another collar you can try for a few weeks to see if it clears? Then, if you really want to know whether it's the tag or the jewel or the collar, you can try one of them for a few weeks to see if the discoloration returns.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Your dog and his collar are adorable! I hope you stick around and get to know us.

I agree that you should try a different collar for a couple months. I bet the problem will resolve. Too bad, because it’s cute, but it’s not worth a risking a skin problem.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I just wanted to say your dog is so, so pretty! Silver poodles are new to me since joining the forum and the color is stunning on a well bred poodle.
I find it strange that if it’s discoloration/staining it goes so deep into the hair to the point where it’s still there after a groom. I hope it’s as simple as trying a different color or not using that unique tag clip attachment.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just jumping in to say that Pluto is gorgeous! He has such a darling face. As for the discoloration, it sounds like you've identified the likely culprit. Do you have another collar you can try for a few weeks to see if it clears? Then, if you really want to know whether it's the tag or the jewel or the collar, you can try one of them for a few weeks to see if the discoloration returns.
Yes! I’m going to take the jewel off! I think I might as well retire this collar too at the same time to eliminate any variables here. That's a good point about introducing one or the other again, since I started using both at the same time it's probably one or the other but I don't know which for sure yet!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts