Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 yr old, newly adopted, Moyen, Allie, came to me with a lot of warts/bumps around her head, neck and back. The vet said they are not an issue but if they bothered me I could have them removed. I won't put Allie through surgery just to please me but there are two that concern me. One is right at her collar and gets scabby, the other behind one ear that smells funny and has a very small amount of oily discharge. Has anyone experienced something like this?

Also, before I adopted Allie she had all her teeth removed due to severe gum disease. The vet noticed a small hole where one of her canines was that hadn't healed over. It didn't seem to bother Allie so the vet told me to keep an eye on it and if I notice her blowing food from her nose to bring her back in and the vet will close it up. Has anyone ever had this happen?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Two fold answer papillomas, dog warts aren't a big deal. I would keep keep an eye on the one behind the ear, but so you know my old girl Flower, a tpoo who I had from age 6 to 16, had more than a few old lady warts, I'd on more one occasion accidentally scrape/graze the wart in a similar location on her neck just below her ear. It would get scabby and weird until I started putting triple antibiotic ointment on it and learned to avoid nicking it all together. The collar is probably just rubbing the other.

Particular teeth are located very close to the sinus cavity which is why your vet mentioned the possibly that food may traverse through the hole. I had a old semi feral cat who in his scavenging managed to wedge a turkey shoulder blade in the roof of his mouth and into his jaw, the injury and infection caused a tooth loss and hole. Blood gushing out of the cat's nose, apparently he drove the bone farther in when I trapped him, but in The Old Tom Cat's case the teeth where removed and resulting hole into sinus cavity closed on it's own. He was at least 12 yrs when I caught and lived another 12 years.

Some times things are not as bad as you think

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. My previous poodle mix had little tiny warts and were no big deal. Allie has some that are the size of a pencil erasure, if not larger. I have to be especially careful when brushing her. As for her fistula, I always check her nose after she eats and plan on keeping her facial hair tightly clipped.

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
No worries, just keep an eye on them is all, most troubles come from grooming incidents, Flower's sister Cappi had one the size of dime near the base of her tail, the entire time I had her 6 years no troubles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My mini poodle Walker had wart-like bumps that would appear all over his body, including on his feet, on his face, everywhere. We took him to our dermatologist who was also a consulting dermatologist for the National Zoo. He showed me how to excise (pop) them with an exacto blade (obviously sterilized) if they got too big and uncomfortable for him) and a small amount of pressure. It saved the cost of the vet and removed the pus from the pustule. Walker got somewhat used to the procedure when I groomed him - especially when he got a treat for his troubles. It wasn't painful at that point - the pustule was painful if it was rubbed by something-especially when it was first forming. I think it was hereditary.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Both of my late mini-poodles Jupiter and Hecuba developed lots of little warts, and some larger ones as well. In both cases, I had a few that were in difficult places (under the collar/ harness) removed when they had surgery for other reasons, such as teeth cleaning, and removal of a large lipoma.

None of these lumps and bumps were serious and both Hecuba and Jupiter died of other causes, at ages 16 and 15 respectively.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts