Poodle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poppy has on a few occassions sqealed like a stuck pig, after fairly innocous incidents.
A proper outburst of 'screaming' like she has some terrible injury.
On each occassion there really does not appear to be any real injury.
First time it happened was as a small puppy on one of her first walks in the park, when going through a gate Banzai ( her Malinois friend), brushed against her in his eagerness to get into the field first. There was barely any contact ( in fact if any), but she made a real song and dance about it.
Within a couple of minutes after inspecting her, off she went happy as Larry.
As I say there have been maybe 5 or 6 similar episodes, not always involving another dog, one time just in the middle of the field in some grass on her own.
Today she got a bit of an over enthusiastic 'nip' from her friend Bertie ( Westie/Poo ), during a chase.
They rough and tumble often, but this time she did her stuck pig impression, racing over to us.
Again within a minute or two all back to normal.

Is this just a Poppy thing ?
A Mini Poo thing ?

Or something to worry about ?
Anyone had similar ?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
One time Basil slipped on her feet and landed on her back as we were leaving... Had the boohoos.

I think it's similar to a 1st grader getting bumped and having an over dramatic cry. Then, mom/dad rush in and go "let me see.. oh your okay." Then, the child wipes away the ugly tears and snot and goes back to playing.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One time Basil slipped on her feet and landed on her back as we were leaving... Had the boohoos.

I think it's similar to a 1st grader getting bumped and having an over dramatic cry. Then, mom/dad rush in and go "let me see.. oh your okay." Then, the child wipes away the ugly tears and snot and goes back to playing.
Thanks for the reassurance, I feel this is probably the case...
But we are proper over the top softies, and the noise she makes is really quite something.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
3,520 Posts
I've seen an IG do the same thing. The owners said he was all confidence until he got caught in a game of chase, then came the squeal and the run for safety, lasting a whole minute at best before he was back at it, taunting the nearest dog into a game of chase.

·
Premium Member
13,906 Posts
I have seen this in Sophy, when she had a trapped nerve in her back. It may be dramatics, but I would always watch for anything that might indicate real pain or injury - a pulled nail, foot misplacement, hind legs weaving, disinclination to turn the head, etc - on the grounds of better safe than sorry. But if the first shriek elicited cuddles and concern that may be enough to explain the repetition - my mother always said it was hard to tell what was pain and what was poodle!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Starla screamed and carried on when she had her accident. Phoebe has done it a couple times and my heart stops each time. Both times with Phoebe it was a minor issue that she was being dramatic about. The time she tried to jump up on her grooming table suddenly and unexpectedly and landed flat on her back on the tile, she made no noise at all though she did hold her front foot up for a minute afterwards.

Reactions: diorthebaddest

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have seen this in Sophy, when she had a trapped nerve in her back. It may be dramatics, but I would always watch for anything that might indicate real pain or injury - a pulled nail, foot misplacement, hind legs weaving, disinclination to turn the head, etc - on the grounds of better safe than sorry. But if the first shriek elicited cuddles and concern that may be enough to explain the repetition - my mother always said it was hard to tell what was pain and what was poodle!
You are right, and we are watching like hawks.
But even that can cause worry... ho hum.
And yes that first 'shriek' could well be imprinted!

·
Premium Member
Killa and Tekno
523 Posts
Tekno screams like a banshee whenever he is even slightly uncomfortable. It’s over-dramatic and sounds ridiculous but gets the job done because it usually startles us so much that we jump and stop whatever it is that we’re doing. He does this mostly if you accidentally apply pressure to him when he’s sleeping, stepping near his paws outside, or accidentally hitting a snarl while brushing. Nothing about his body language looks like he’s in fear or pain, and he instantly recovers from these “events”. Also he regularly slams into things, falls off furniture, and plays very rough so I highly doubt he’s as sensitive as he leads on lol

·
Registered
Elroy: Standard Poodle
2,033 Posts
Elroy hasn't ever screamed bloody murder about anything (yet). He has gotten more barky over the last month (months 6-7) though. None of it is enough to be annoying. Seems like he has his (good) reasons for it. It only happens for seconds or maybe a minute. Not incessant at all. Each bark is an individual bark.

·
Super Moderator
3,739 Posts
My guys only shriek when they are truly frightened or truly hurt. All of my puppies have shrieked when they felt intimidated by a larger older dog. Galen once shrieked when startled by a lightning bolt followed immediately by a deafening thunderclap. I didn't blame him; I was scared too! Galen also once ran shrieking and whimpering across the yard when I accidentally hit him in the face with the hard orange Chuck-it ball that came packaged with the Chuck-it launcher. I make sure to buy him softer rubber balls now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts