Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got back Sport's test results for this week and its not good at all. His platelet count is down to 22 which puts him at risk for a spontaneous bleeding. On top of that he is now anemic. This means he either has something destroying his red blood cells or he is bleeding internally. Neither of which is a good option. The only good thing right now is that the second med hasn't had time to kick in yet and that should happen in a week. When it kicks in it may allow him to produce enough platelets that he could correct any internal bleeding himself. We should know one way or another next week. He has a vet appointment on the 22 and they will do more blood work then. The options are getting down and not looking good.

So for the next week we watch him like a hawk, pray and wait and see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,481 Posts
Sorry to hear this....it's getting tough I am sure - hang in there :) Easier said than done - but so glad Sport still has some hope left. Hope he is comfortable otherwise.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,956 Posts
I'm adding my prayers to yours (actually, you and your family have been on my prayer list since this whole thing started) Thanks for the update and praying for better news next week!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is still acting like himself. Though he is a bit tired. But he is still as sweet as ever and yes getting tough is an understatement. We're going to talk to the kids this weekend and tell them that there is a huge possibility that we may lose Sport. They know he is sick but its getting time to prepare them in just in case. It will be hard enough if he goes but I don't want it to be a huge shock and not give them time to say goodbye.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,537 Posts
Im so sorry to hear these results. Immune diseases are extreamly hard on everyone. I hope the new med kicks in soon and he responds positively! Hang in there! HUGS!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
Definitely sending good vibes to you and Sport.
Fingers (and toes) crossed. :nurse:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,686 Posts
So sorry. It sound like he has Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia on top of the Thrombocytopenea. Sometimes they go hand in hand. Has your vet suggested a blood transfusion?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right now they are busy suggesting the possibility of a tumor, a disease that is very difficult to treat (whos name escapes me), cancer, internal bleeding.... Though the possibility of a transfusion has came up earlier it hasn't been mentioned recently. Other then sending us to specialists (to investigate the tumor possibility), and if we went that route they are very doubtful about the outcome, the other suggestion is a one time treatment by another specialist of radiation. They are also doubtful about that. The thing they sounded most positive about was waiting to see if the second medication kicked in. That is what we are currently doing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
I assume (and possibly incorrectly) they might be suspecting hemangiosarcoma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
Just a guess from (unfortunately) a lot of experience with that particular type of tumor.

It was the first thing that popped into my head when Trill said "Right now they are busy suggesting the possibility of a tumor, a disease that is very difficult to treat (whos name escapes me)".

Keep positive at any rate, hopefully he responds to the medication.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not entirely sure of the answers to some of the questions as I know I missed some of what the vet was saying. The whole phone conversation was quite difficult. As for the white blood cell count I didn't think to ask. They said there was a possibility of a tumor because of the drop in the red blood cell count. They said it might account for it.

The reality is right now they don't know what is causing any of it and they are trying to treat the symptoms as they occur. The vet has been clear all along that the whole thing could be caused by several different things or that we might never know the cause and it might not reoccur if we can get the platelet count up. We just don't know. That has to be the worst of it all. I can go on trying to stop the symptoms but without knowing what is causing it it could be useless. It would be wonderful to know that if we do this we will save him but in no way shape or form do I have any such assurance. We are simply doing what we hope is the best and praying its enough. Right now its feeling like I'm sticking my fingers in holes that are popping up in a dam.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
Trillium:

I know how horribly confusing and stressful this is, and it is almost impossible to keep up with the vet when they are working so hard to figure out what the heck is going on. Just know that they MUST give you ALL scenarios and they want you to be prepared for the worst, no matter what. I just hope it all works out, try to stay positive and informed. I am sure that your vet wouldn't have a problem speaking to you any time you have a question pop up, so don't feel intimidated or like you can't ask questions or ask for a more simplified explanation. I know that sometimes my doc gets so wrapped up in diagnostics he forgets that not everyone knows what he is talking about. He appreciates it when people ask him to slow down and explain things. Don't forget to talk to your techs too, that's what we are here for. :)

Take care and hugs to you and Sport.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,155 Posts
I am so sorry Taxtell : (((. That is just so sad : (((.

Could it be that he has lymphoma or leukemia ??? I do not know if dogs can have those , but symptoms that he has are very similar to human Lymphoma or Leukemia : (((.

I certainly hope that it is not the case though and that his second meds will kick-in very soon !!!
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top