Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting increasingly concerned over the horrific smell of Sport's gas and that of poop and pee. They are all smelling like rotted meat. Its hideous. Not to mention he is very gassy these days. Could it be a side effect of his meds? Or worse yet do you think its possibly a sign of internal problems?

I'm taking him to the vet today and will ask when we go for his blood work. I should know the results from that tomorrow and will let you all know how he's doing.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
It could be the meds, but make sure to alert your vet about the smell.

Is his breath bad too?

Poor boy. I hate that you have to go through this.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No his breath is fine. But he's not acting the same as usual either. He is not jumping on the couch or bed to cuddle. Something that he always did. He will often now lay at the other side of the room from me (which rarely happened.) He bit my hand the other day when I was giving him a treat. He didn't break the skin but still its not something that he would have done before. He is certainly having many accidents around the house. Again something that he didn't do before. As well the light in his eyes are gone and they just don't look happy.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
:hug: For you and Sport!! :hug: I don't remember Meika having a smelly side-effect from the azathioprine or prednisone (but her teeth were always horrible - yucky dachshund mouth - and her breath was a killer) Keep us updated T, and know that healing thoughts are still being sent your direction! (one more!! :hug:)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Poor Sport. And poor you as well. So sad. I hope the vet can determine what's going on and hopefully help the poor guy out. :(

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. I'm not looking forward to this vet visit. Nor am I expecting to hear good news about the blood work. I'll let you all know what the vet says. I so hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Hoping you are wrong too!!! I wish the vets could just tell you this is working or no it isn't instead of all of this up and down that is soooo hard on your family. Thinking of you, and anticipating your call...

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
As much as it's hard to face -Sport seems to be feeling his illness so I am sure this is why the changes - I SO HOPE AND PRAY for Sport and your family that you all get through this without to to many rough days.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I'm so sorry the meds don't seem to be impoving anything. Hopefully, the vet will get things straightened out. Despite what we are led to believe, you don't always just pop a pill and have a great life. (They certainly make it sound that way on tv though.) Sometimes it takes a while to get the right combination of medication worked out. I'll keep you guys in my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the vet said that the gas was probably caused by the meds. She gave me some enzymes to help restore the good bacteria in his system. Apparently these meds can strip it. As to the lack of energy and the food stuff apparently these can also be side effects. The saggy tummy can be caused by a loss of muscle tone also caused by the meds. However the diarreha that he had a couple days ago wasn't a good thing. Nor are the behaviour changes that the staff noted as well.

I'll find out the test results tomorrow afternoon and make our call based on these.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts